Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 164 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
...I checked one last time before bed.

Q: Can you describe the game aspect of the ride? What controls do you have at your disposal?

A: There are two ways to earn coins (the points in this game): steering and hitting enemies.

The steering part is simple, you have a steering wheel that you can turn left and right. On the AR at different points in the ride, you will see a red arrow on either the right or the left pointing in their respective directions. When it shows up, you have to turn in the correct direction and hold it until the arrow disappears. This earns you some coins.

The main way to earn coins is hitting enemies with Koopa shells. You get an item box a few times throughout the ride, and they are loaded with around 30-50 shells depending on which point in the ride you are. There are buttons on the steering wheel, and pushing either one shoots one Koopa shell. You aim by looking around, but there isn't anything like crosshairs or something so it's not easy to just hit everything. When you hit enemies, like the Koopalings or Bowser, you earn coins. The shells are colored different colors depending on which seat you're in, but they all act like green shells.

I hope that gives you a good idea.
I think I'd rather aim with something, like a controller, but we'll see how it feels when I ride it in 2030

I think I'd rather aim with something, like a controller, but we'll see how it feels when I ride it in 2030

I think you'll find that aiming with your "head" is very intuitive and better than a controller. Play a game like Resident Evil 7 in VR where you aim with your head positioning. I was pulling off headshots at will because it tracked so well and precise

Once we get to ride it, we'll be able to pay an upcharge to use a "retro" Wiimote to play! So don't fret too much. (/s just in case, very excited to hear more about the full experience!)

Reactions: shiekra38
Personally I appreciate it. I was much more worried about how convincing the AR would be/how well it would function, so seeing it in action was great.

I assume we'll get one without the AR as well.
I don’t know to me it just looks really flat hence my comments of “it’s like just strapping my switch to my face.”

I get that’s because of the camera.

The attraction sounds nice for what it is. I wish they incorporated other "shooter" items like fire flower, boomerang, bob-ombs, but shells are iconic so I get it.. maybe they didn't want to overwhelm the rider?

Also about Feb 4, Universal pretty much said that anybody can post anything on Feb 4 (since that was on all the signs and that's what everyone agreed to). They said they don't recommend you do but they pretty much cant report or take down any videos that are posted on Feb 4 and later. So we will just see what everyone does I guess.

Doing a preview 2 days before the land and asking people to not post is understandable.. but literally letting everyone and their mother in for more than a month and forcing them to not share their experience is just dumb to me.. Reminds me of when Hannah Montana revealed she was Miley Stewart to a crowd of thousands of people and then asked them not to tell anyone... like what...

Anyways, I'm hoping everyone shares their first reactions, POVs, and thoughts of the land on Feb 4. It will be good advertising for Universal too.

Frankly we got the finale of MK under the restrictions and all of Yoshi, now the nicer looks come out hopefully but frankly, I’ll be a little disappointed if by the weekend (at least) I don’t see something else about MK, pictures, POV, just something else.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I don’t know to me it just looks really flat hence my comments of “it’s like just strapping my switch to my face.”

I get that’s because of the camera.

If I may ask, if you get that something looks flat because of the camera, then why are you saying "I don't know, to me it looks really flat"? You have the answer on why it looks flat, yet it comes off you're still doubting the quality.

I know you said you want this land to be "Perfect", but I kindly say this as someone who's childhood has been fully engrained by Nintendo. It's best you ease up on wanting things to be "Perfect". I've seen countless times where someone is a big fan of something, and a movie, tv show, game, ride etc. is coming out, and they get so hyped for it and get these visions on how they expect it'll be. The final product comes out and it could honestly be a great product, but they end up disappointed because they over-hyped themselves. It didn't fit what they had envisioned for it.

Thing is, as fans we all have our visions on what something may look like...but none of us are on the creative team nor do we talk with those who are. Expecting perfect is just setting yourself up for disappointment since the creative team doesn't know what your version of perfect is, they're working with the IP on what that is. I'm not saying to drop your expectations to rock bottom, but you've gotta' acknowledge that the vision they're working on is the one they have with Nintendo, not your own.

Two questions for anyone who might know

1) Do we know how to tell how many shells we have remaining?

2) Could using projection mapping on the track to simulate different roads be used in future attractions? This one particularly interests me as it would essentially make trackless rides (where we aren't supposed to see the track) a non-necessity as the path would always be hidden from the riders.

Two questions for anyone who might know

1) Do we know how to tell how many shells we have remaining?

2) Could using projection mapping on the track to simulate different roads be used in future attractions? This one particularly interests me as it would essentially make trackless rides (where we aren't supposed to see the track) a non-necessity as the path would always be hidden from the riders.
1) I've heard in an earlier review where you look down (with the AR visor on), you'll see a HUD where it'll show your score and the number of shells you have left.

2) This kind of technology would be amazing for trackless rides.

The attraction sounds nice for what it is. I wish they incorporated other "shooter" items like fire flower, boomerang, bob-ombs, but shells are iconic so I get it.. maybe they didn't want to overwhelm the rider?
Everyone says that the ride is tough to get your bearing initially. I'd think that throwing multiple different power ups at the player would be an issue.

Everyone says that the ride is tough to get your bearing initially. I'd think that throwing multiple different power ups at the player would be an issue.

I wonder if there was a point where they wanted to make each rider a different item (fireball, shell, etc) before going different colored shells or not.