Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 193 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I also think it's kinda asinine to insinuate the ride "doesn't capture" what Mario Kart is about when the people behind the game are literally involved in the creation of the attraction. You can hate it or love it, but that talking point just seems like you're trying to say you know better than Nintendo about their own product.
I know that many see critics as the worst but I'm Sorry anyone who follows Nintendo KNOWS they sometimes made mistakes and do not understand there own games.

Metriod other M, Animal Crossing Board game on Wii U, The Wii U in general, the lack luster 3DS launch (while it ended up fine the launch sucked and a long time for the system to catch up to the DS), The Paper Mario Series moving for two of the best JPRGS ever to...puzzle games, Star Fox hasn't had a loved game since gamecube and even then N64 is still the best of the series, Mother 3 never coming to the west, Mario Party Switch horrible online (Fallguys and indie game does better with online mini games), Switch online in General and so on, heck while yes there were Zelda fans breathe of the Wild really gave that series a shot in the arms since Twilight Pricness had one of the most slow hand holddy beginnings of any video game ever and Skyward Sword controls turned many people off.

Point is no Company is perfect and Nintendo while many times making the best in gaming they also do things that make no sense...I think the set of Mario Kart look amazing but do I admit I wish i was both that and a Bit of Cars Racers, I think many would love that.
Sure, I will like the ride but to say "corporations" know more than fans I say no. Corps are the ones who make Star Warsland from a living world to...shops lots and lots of shops.

Does it seem fair to say that Super Nintendo Land feels like one of the wild and wacky Nintendo peripherals? Like the Balance Board, Gyrosensor, Wii motion controls, the Ring-Con, the Cardboard... in that way, it's VERY representative of the brand - whether or not it's representative of the Mario Kart franchise in some ways, I think, demands an in-person ride.

The tricky thing is that Mario Kart means so much to so many people. While it means making a memory with a parent for some, for others it's the rush of going over to a friend's house and battling it out. For some it's popping it in while drinking with friends, or at a College mixer. I think the ubiquity of Mario Kart is incredible, and while I had always thought it had landed in the more edgy crowd, in the sort of "you graduate to Mario after you've spent time with Pooh, then Mickey, then Seuss, then the Princesses, THEN Mario, and then you learn about E.T. and the like, and THEN Star Wars and Marvel...." way. I've always thought of Mario as the coming-of-age brand, a little bit more extreme than the ride gets, but then again... I think I really underestimate the age that these kids are when they begin to learn to play.

+1 on the Star Wars thing in terms of the land, but that's a different conversation completely.

EDIT: If we are to play Devil’s Advocate here with the importance of “creator’s intent”, let’s look at Snow White. The original attraction by Walt Disney was nothing short of a HORROR HOUSE, created to truly scare guests and to fill a gap Walt thought needed to be filled in the park. The attraction that most fit with the story of Snow White was the 1994 version of the attraction in Magic Kingdom, presumably capturing the “intent of the IP”. Finally, the IP is represented by a hugely popular entry-level coaster that, essentially, is created because people wanted more coasters, filling a theme park need rather than necessarily a story need.

That’s three different things: Creator’s Intent, IP’s Intent, and the Most Popular Attraction. For me, the 1994 version is the best, but that creates another vector: MY favorite. All four, I think can be true. It’ll take some time and a few physical experiences to see what percentage of these are true for me in terms of Mario Kart. And, of course… your mileage may vary…

Last edited:
I know that many see critics as the worst but I'm Sorry anyone who follows Nintendo KNOWS they sometimes made mistakes and do not understand there own games.

Metriod other M, Animal Crossing Board game on Wii U, The Wii U in general, the lack luster 3DS launch (while it ended up fine the launch sucked and a long time for the system to catch up to the DS), The Paper Mario Series moving for two of the best JPRGS ever to...puzzle games, Star Fox hasn't had a loved game since gamecube and even then N64 is still the best of the series, Mother 3 never coming to the west, Mario Party Switch horrible online (Fallguys and indie game does better with online mini games), Switch online in General and so on, heck while yes there were Zelda fans breathe of the Wild really gave that series a shot in the arms since Twilight Pricness had one of the most slow hand holddy beginnings of any video game ever and Skyward Sword controls turned many people off.

Point is no Company is perfect and Nintendo while many times making the best in gaming they also do things that make no sense...I think the set of Mario Kart look amazing but do I admit I wish i was both that and a Bit of Cars Racers, I think many would love that.
Sure, I will like the ride but to say "corporations" know more than fans I say no. Corps are the ones who make Star Warsland from a living world to...shops lots and lots of shops.
Okay but you can’t compare the makers of SWGE to Nintendo because they’re entirely different set of people, and Universal worked with Nintendo on this where as Disney did not work closely, or as closely with Lucasfilm, so they just aren’t the same.

I don’t think anyone disagrees corporations make huge mistakes but acting as if fans know their property better than the actual creators is totally fan warped thinking. It’s just not true, they literally created it all and we’ve adopted it for our own pleasure.

Reactions: Legacy and Brian G.
It’s been almost a week, and the thread is still going in circles. I was hoping to come back and see some constructive conversation regarding tech and operations and it’s still an argument about MK.

Some like it, some don’t, some have mixed feelings - all without having ridden it.

:deadhorse:

It’s been almost a week, and the thread is still going in circles. I was hoping to come back and see some constructive conversation regarding tech and operations and it’s still an argument about MK.

Some like it, some don’t, some have mixed feelings - all without having ridden it.

:deadhorse:
Buckle up. Till this opens stateside, we got years of this.

Buckle up. Till this opens stateside, we got years of this.
Or people will ride it and most people will realize it's a good ride and shut up about it? :lol:
whether or not it's representative of the Mario Kart franchise in some ways, I think, demands an in-person ride.
I think the only way it isn't representative of MK is actual, physical speed. Otherwise it's got all the trademarks.

Last edited:
I mean we’re gonna discuss the ride people lol, but agree it’s a bit of back and forth. I’m wondering if maybe a Mario Kart thread itself may be useful? Plenty of other things will go on with the land or come out soon, plus the grand opening whenever that actually happens.

Reactions: HalfGlass
some constructive conversation regarding tech and operations
To leverage your MK point, how can you expect a constructive conversation about tech nobody has used and operations nobody has seen?

I get why the thread has been racing the past week or two (no pun intended), but it’s still a mostly unopened theme park land on the other side of the world from most/all of us.

To leverage your MK point, how can you expect a constructive conversation about tech nobody has used and operations nobody has seen?

I get why the thread has been racing the past week or two (no pun intended), but it’s still a mostly unopened theme park land on the other side of the world from most/all of us.
More locals will talk about it after the official grand opening. Looks to me like many on social media are abiding by USJ’s wishes to wait until then to share.

Fair enough - I guess I’m just sick of the bickering when no one will change their viewpoint, especially since no one rode it yet. Carry on :yawn:

Or people will ride it and most people will realize it's a good ride and shut up about it? :lol: I think the only way it isn't representative of MK is actual, physical speed. Otherwise it's got all the trademarks.

Oh, absolutely, I don’t disagree with you there at all! The queue is PERFECT. And the attraction more or less depicts each of the locales with wonderful effects and fun sight gags not unlike Jungle Cruise, with the immersiveness of something we’ve never seen before. My final opinion is DEFINITELY not formed yet, but I’m hopeful. Hope you and I can agree on that when we both ride it in a few years.

I mean, if we’re gonna talk TDR Explorer (someone on here whose opinion really does matter a heck of a lot more because of his ability to be IN Japan), I believe he said that it was a cute ride, not one of his top attractions. Which I think is totally fine! I think I need more than two reviews to get a read on the room, though.

I wanted to bring up the genius of the app and the Power-Up Bands. I just think it’s an incredible feat that they were able to make it so intuitive, that NONE of us have yet questioned the logistics of the app, and the fact that the band often reads when you literally PUNCH SOMETHING instead of tapping it.

What do we all think of the Key Challenges? I think they’re genius, though I have two tiny picks:

- I think the Bob-one explosion is something that probably works better in real life when you have the air blaster on you. Right now, for me, the effect doesn’t work so well. I would have done it with the Bob-ombs rising and lowering rapidly on a small platform, but that might have been too much expense? I wonder how much more expensive it would have been than any of the other enemies in the land, considering that they are all articulated and the Bob-ombs only have a lighting effect... As knowing the Bob-ombs are exploding is important to the story (they make you “small” cuz you took a hit, and then later on they are the thing that fail you on the key challenge), I think it should probably be more clear what’s happening.

- I wonder if the Thwomp game has any physical effect of the Thwomp above you smashing down? Obviously that’s the reason that the the panels get messed up, but aside from the mist “rubble” outside, does something happen once you’re in the game room? Does the Thwomp outside coordinate with the game? Does the floor vibrate? I wonder...

I really hope that as the seasons change, there is some “DLC” of some sort. Maybe even some AR on your phone or seasonal challenges that mix up the activations a little bit? Maybe some of the blocks turn Orange in the fall if you’ve completed a specific challenge or eaten a Boo-themed dessert and scanned a QR code? Stuff like that.

I really want to talk about how the articulated characters work. I wonder if it’s a gesture control?

I really wanna know a few more of the phrases Mario, Luigi, and Peach say. I think this is the perfect use of living characters, TBH, as their slight awkwardness actually ADDS authenticity to the land. They are absolutely video game NPCs, and speak as such. I love that they gave Mario extra lines. I hear him say something like “Wow, you’re a big-a Mario fan!” or something to that effect and I was bowled over.

What the hell do you people want from UC? Test Track's budget alone was $300,000,000 and it's a HUGE footprint with only the last stretch of the ride going really fast, and this whole land was $450,000,000. Some of yall, want an MK test track that's going fast the entire time, is indoors, has animatronics, and still being able to throw shells? Just be happy with what you got. Just remember that in a parallel universe, the Mario Kart attraction was like F&F: Supercharged.

Complete with Princess Peach saying “eat asphalt!”

Anyway, I hope MIB stays open until MK opens here.

• Haha
Reactions: Coolbfitz
Well...

We know the interactive games look great and the kinetic energy is also great. We've seen full interactions with the meet & greets, and they look cool. So done there. Yoshi is the "what you see is what you get" kind of fare, so not much more discussion there. The land is pretty small so there isn't much else to talk about it in itself. The food has been shown off in full, and so has the merch. We know where a good amount of the Pikmin are. Hell, we've even seen the bathrooms. There really isn't much to talk about besides things like "How many phrases does Mario, Luigi and Peach costumes have?" "Who voices Toadette in the Yoshi queue?" "Why can we hear Waluigi laughing in the Mario Kart queue?" Stuff like that. There's basically nothing else to really talk about unless we're getting super nitty-gritty.

So, that leaves us with the area's main attraction, the Mario Kart Ride. Which had a large variety of expectations ("How are they going to pull that off?"). This ride was going to be controversial no matter what because there's just no feasible way to leave an element out. It's also the land's anchor so its kind of multitasking and has even more pressure than ever.

The big issue here is that...we're in a worldwide pandemic so we can't just get up and go experience for ourselves. We can't try out the food, we can't hit the blocks and we can't ride the rides. So for now, it'll be either endless praise, endless criticism and very little in the middle (which is fine because we're humans, and naturally take sides).

Such is life.

Last edited:
Whelp, I'm about to derail this for a bit. Remember that this was announced in May 2015? Well, the Illumination Mario movie was announced in January 2018. I wonder if Super Nintendo World will have any influence on the Mario Movie in its creative aspects. Universal and Nintendo probably don't want a movie that's aestheticlly too different from the land so the land and movie can sell themselves to each other. But then again, since the land is based on the video games, maybe that won't matter? Though, Illumination plays it extremely safe with their flicks so I can still see the land as an influence.

Also, I wonder if Miyamoto is going to let them tweak the designs. Is the movie going to be a straight up recreation of the look of the games (like what the land is going for)? Or are they going to "Illuminate" Mario & the gang (like what they did with the Dr. Suess adaptations)?

1612858662777.png

I wonder how much creative freedom Nintendo is giving Illumination for this flick with Super Nintendo World's existence.

Whelp, I'm about to derail this for a bit. Remember that this was announced in May 2015? Well, the Illumination Mario movie was announced in January 2018. I wonder if Super Nintendo World will have any influence on the Mario Movie in its creative aspects. Universal and Nintendo probably don't want a movie that's aestheticlly too different from the land so the land and movie can sell themselves to each other. But then again, since the land is based on the video games, maybe that won't matter? Though, Illumination plays it extremely safe with their flicks so I can still see the land as an influence.

Also, I wonder if Miyamoto is going to let them tweak the designs. Is the movie going to be a straight up recreation of the look of the games (like what the land is going for)? Or are they going to "Illuminate" Mario & the gang (like what they did with the Dr. Suess adaptations)?

View attachment 14053

I wonder how much creative freedom Nintendo is giving Illumination for this flick with Super Nintendo World's existence.
I doubt the designs of characters will be changed drastically if at all for the movie.

Hell hath no fury like gamers crapping on a movie that only uses a game license for brand recognition and otherwise looks nothing like the actual game.