Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 200 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mario has the greatest reach of all the Nintendo franchises. They definitely need some Pokémon stuff too (as long as they can work something out with TPC). But other than that, what other Nintendo stuff do they need to get ASAP?

I realize Zelda and Animal Crossing have had a recent (unusual) surge. Zelda is definitely fit for a ride. Animal Crossing maybe a store or restaurant. What else do they have? Kirby maybe, but how many people actually play Kirby, versus those who know him from Smash. Star Fox, Metroid, Kid Icarus, F Zero, and Earthbound are all incredibly niche. Splatoon maybe?

Mario and Pokémon are the big two.

I don't think Kirby would have its own ride, but something like merch and meet and greets would be best. Zelda is definitely one of the most popular Nintendo franchises that does needs their own attractions. SNW itself does need a bit more variety like having a Zelda area for example to balance things out. If I have to guess, Zelda would probably the only non-Mario area in the park given USJ's limited space. Pokemon and Animal Crossing should cameo the area as well.

I don't think Kirby would have its own ride, but something like merch and meet and greets would be best. Zelda is definitely one of the most popular Nintendo franchises that does needs their own attractions. SNW itself does need a bit more variety like having a Zelda area for example to balance things out. If I have to guess, Zelda would probably the only non-Mario area in the park given USJ's limited space. Pokemon and Animal Crossing should cameo the area as well.
The pitch from Universal had a Kirby flat ride in it.

Reactions: Brer Oswald
Did anyone catch this video? (I’m assuming we can post it?)

The 1:50 mark is not the cutest moment, reminds me of the Millennium Falcon backstage overflow. (Also super sketch with the physical distancing)

Reactions: Jones14
In Japan at least I could see a "Kirby area" with some sort of little ride for families and then some games you use the wristbands with.

Zelda/Pokemon will come but should be big lands and something Kirby could be something "easier" to make if they want a quick add on to the land/idea.

“Kirby’s Planet Popstar Star-nival” is a great name for a kids play area.

“Kirby-Coaster” - kid coaster
“Dreamland Star-Lift” - Ferris wheel
“King DeeDee’s Mallet Mash” - mini drop tower
“Meta-Knight Sword Spinner” - Tea cup spinner or Himalaya/Musik Express
“Dream Land Playland” - Playground

Reactions: Nico
Got an Express Pass and going next week! If anyone has specific questions of stuff they want me to check out for you let me know. Can't promise anything as I'm mainly gonna be focusing on taking it all in myself but I'll try to do what I can.

No spoilers for attractions please, I'm still trying to go in blind.

Got an Express Pass and going next week! If anyone has specific questions of stuff they want me to check out for you let me know. Can't promise anything as I'm mainly gonna be focusing on taking it all in myself but I'll try to do what I can.

No spoilers for attractions please, I'm still trying to go in blind.

Please open your eyes. Otherwise, you'll walk into things and might hurt yourself. Also, that does no credit to those who are actually blind. Plus, if you don't open your eyes, you'll miss stuff. Just a suggestion.

• Angry
Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
There’s been lots of photos at night and a couple videos so far.

This video ends with some incredible nighttime footage:

Thank you, still can't wait to see Yoshi at night like Hagrids coaster think at night will be when the ride truly shines

I think this is a very fair assessment and I agree on almost every level, but I also don’t think that people are idiots for expecting a ride based on go—kart racing to have a thrill element. To be fair, Simpsons doesn’t really feel like the coaster it promises in-queue to be and from the themed exterior, nor does Fast and the Furious feel particularly fast or furious. I know there are more bait-and-switch theme park rides, but can’t think of them right now. Again, at least the title of the ride implies a “Challenge”, a game element, and doesn’t lead with the vague “Supercharged”.

But I definitely appreciate the stance and also the design of the attraction. I can’t wait to try it and to have an opinion for myself!

Dave has a good thread of his SNW first thoughts. He includes some thoughts on the design of Mario Kart since he designed MiB.

"AR will become more prevalent in parks..."

x_Wn1VdlGc2ibyhTjYYcBxlE-MNJzLgSG-JdTFogPyC3DA7_y-GQI4uXW9B0P8j4QyeHp5eb

Reactions: Freak
Ok,

My verdict on SNW after experiencing it in person is that it’s “kind of cool.” Parts of it are awesome. Finally seeing Nintendo translated to the physical world is fantastic and long overdue because Nintendo is a perfect theme park property. However, it feels like they could’ve done more with it and there’s some missed opportunities. Both rides are also generally disappointing.

Some bulletpoints:
  • Mario Kart: It pains me to say, but it is fairly disappointing. It’s super crazy and chaotic but I’m not really sure if it’s in a good way. Almost the entire ride is AR and the physical stuff that’s there is just a backdrop for what’s happening on the AR. There’s so many physical props/AAs in the land outside but I don’t recall seeing any in the ride except for the one chain comp. I also didn’t understand how the “game” works at all, I didn’t understand if you acquire items somehow or if you always have them. Also if anything you can do on the AR has any effect on anything. The queue is really awesome though.
  • Yoshi: This just needed one or two more scenes to actually be worth doing more than once. But sadly it doesn’t. Of course I would have preferred that this be a proper traditional dark ride but it’s generally fine for what it is - except that it’s too short and only has one real show scene. Missed opportunity to make this just a little better to make it worthwhile.
  • The outer land itself is the most impressive part. Coming out of the pipe and seeing everything for the first time was genuinely kind of breathtaking. So much color and so much going on. I’m curious how the outdoor figures are going to hold up over the years. You can already see some minor weathering on them. They don’t look bad by any means just curious how they’re gonna be maintained over the years. In some places there is no attempt made whatsoever to hide the rods or slots the characters are attached to, I guess they just decided it wasn’t possible or important to try to theme that at all.
  • I’m a little bit disappointed at how much of the land is kid-oriented. I know that might sound ridiculous to complain about but almost all of the outdoor stuff is just simple little mini games that only children would ever really be entertained by.
  • Toad Cafe: This impressed me more than I was expecting. I’m not really a “foodie” but I thought what I ordered was not bad and the inside is a lot bigger and more detailed than it seems on the outside.

Other stuff:
  • Sight lines are still an issue between SNW and HP. I know Universal has never really cared much about sight lines but it’s sad to have seen a “kind of attempt” at fixing this but it doesn’t really work in the end. It’s really obvious that Nintendo is right next door in Hogsmeade and Hogwarts is visible from most of Nintendo
  • Back by the Yoshi ride is a jungle themed area which is clearly visually distinct from the rest of the land and even has its own unique background scenery stand up. I’m assuming this is where the DK expansion is planned to go? It’s like foreshadowing.
  • I didn’t do the power up band thing.

Last edited: