Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 199 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not going to lie, the land looks like a one and done kind of experience. The mini games are awesome but they're highly simple. I feel like the novelty might wear off a bit over time.

That's a big might.

Nintendo just needs to bring in non-Mario things into the park as soon as possible. Apart from Pikmin, everything in the park is Mario-related. This might be off-putting for those who are Nintendo fans but don't have much interest in Mario. Even the DK area that will be part of SNW soon can be seen as "Mario-related", since DK always appears in some Mario games like Mario Party. SNW currently looks just as awesome as Harry Potter, but it can wear off a bit over time.

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
Not going to lie, the land looks like a one and done kind of experience. The mini games are awesome but they're highly simple. I feel like the novelty might wear off a bit over time.

That's a big might.
Nintendo just needs to bring in non-Mario things into the park as soon as possible. Apart from Pikmin, everything in the park is Mario-related. This might be off-putting for those who are Nintendo fans but don't have much interest in Mario. Even the DK area that will be part of SNW soon can be seen as "Mario-related", since DK always appears in some Mario games like Mario Party. SNW currently looks just as awesome as Harry Potter, but it can wear off a bit over time.

I just don't see any of this criticism? This feels totally derived from internet forum echo chamber noise, not actual guest expectations or experiences.

I know of some people that love spending time in the land, visiting the cafe multiple times for their favorite dishes and the ambiance and the Mario Kart ride gets better on multiple rides after you get better at the game elements.

If this had opened here, I don’t think there will be any question as to its success.

Also, keep in mind that locals were not posting to social media until after the land grand opened, to honor the park’s wishes. Now that the floodgates have opened, it’s interesting to see what everyone likes about the land now. (Just takes a lot of Google Translate.)

I also don’t get the “this isn’t built for repeat visits”. Most park lands aren’t?
Potter’s interactive wands do the same thing every time, and yet I’ve never heard anyone ever complain about those.

With the stamps to earn in Nintendo, and a way to keep track of your score, I’d say it’s far more repeatable. But again, this isn’t really a real problem in practice .

Especially in post Covid world, I visit Orlando once a year, if I’m lucky twice. SNW offers me PLENTY from the outside looking in, I’m not sure I see how the “novelty wears off” considering carnival games are or were still at Universal pre Covid, now we’re adding technology to them and making them mini games themed to Mario and you can keep scores alongside every other person in the land. That’s new and really cool. Once SNW hits Orlando I wouldn’t be shocked if other Nintendo projects were too far down the pipeline at that point (pun intended!)

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
MOST guests only do a park once every few years, maybe once a year. Only fans/passholders repeat experiences ad infinitum. The biggest market for the major parks is the once every few years/once a year guests-- they spend on hotels, food, and merchandise far beyond what most passholders spend. It's a splurge and they spend to get the full experience. Yes the novelty will wear off if you go once a week, but for most guests that's not the reality.

People go to Disney with the same attractions year after year and love it BECAUSE it's the same (in fact they complain when it's not).

Potter’s interactive wands do the same thing every time, and yet I’ve never heard anyone ever complain about those.

With the stamps to earn in Nintendo, and a way to keep track of your score, I’d say it’s far more repeatable. But again, this isn’t really a real problem in practice .

I would also think that getting better at Mario Kart would take time and multiple visits. Once Donkey Kong is open, the land will have a third ride to really round the offering. I don't just visit IoA for Marvel Superhero Island or the Magic Kingdom for Adventureland. It's the same concept. I have a number of rides at IoA that I really enjoy and sometimes only get to experience once per visit. I think that SNW will be the same at Epic. My only concern at Epic is whether there are enough attractions. I watched your videos and it will have a good lineup. I just question if it will have enough capacity to absorb the crowds.

MOST guests only do a park once every few years, maybe once a year. Only fans/passholders repeat experiences ad infinitum. The biggest market for the major parks is the once every few years/once a year guests-- they spend on hotels, food, and merchandise far beyond what most passholders spend. It's a splurge and they spend to get the full experience. Yes the novelty will wear off if you go once a week, but for most guests that's not the reality.

People go to Disney with the same attractions year after year and love it BECAUSE it's the same (in fact they complain when it's not).
Yes, big time. The parks to us out of state tourists are often quite a different experience than locals, that go often. We also tend to appreciate the 'full experience', not just limited to rides. Even though I'm an AP holder, and go at least two Orlando vacations in normal times, the park experience always seems as new and fresh as my first trips. There's a lot to do and experience, even if there's not a new ride...... In actuality, in my personal case, a new ride never ever actually influences whether I'll make the trip. it's just icing on an already baked delicious cake.

7 years old and everywhere you turned kids and adults were having a BLAST with them, just last month.

The reason they can limit it to locals and not allow others from outside to visit is that they’re keeping number of cases down by not allowing others from outside visit.
An unvaccinated local isn't safer than a vaccinated tourist. By the time the Olympics roll around and we have even more data people are going to be laughing at their paranoia.

And also the variants. This will be a big problem if the variants evolve beyond the vaccine's efficacy. Same reason why mask wearing is still going to be required for those who were vaccinated. I can't blame any country who wants to play it safe right now.

Mario has the greatest reach of all the Nintendo franchises. They definitely need some Pokémon stuff too (as long as they can work something out with TPC). But other than that, what other Nintendo stuff do they need to get ASAP?

I realize Zelda and Animal Crossing have had a recent (unusual) surge. Zelda is definitely fit for a ride. Animal Crossing maybe a store or restaurant. What else do they have? Kirby maybe, but how many people actually play Kirby, versus those who know him from Smash. Star Fox, Metroid, Kid Icarus, F Zero, and Earthbound are all incredibly niche. Splatoon maybe?

Mario and Pokémon are the big two.

Mario has the greatest reach of all the Nintendo franchises. They definitely need some Pokémon stuff too (as long as they can work something out with TPC). But other than that, what other Nintendo stuff do they need to get ASAP?

I realize Zelda and Animal Crossing have had a recent (unusual) surge. Zelda is definitely fit for a ride. Animal Crossing maybe a store or restaurant. What else do they have? Kirby maybe, but how many people actually play Kirby, versus those who know him from Smash. Star Fox, Metroid, Kid Icarus, F Zero, and Earthbound are all incredibly niche. Splatoon maybe?

Mario and Pokémon are the big two.

Kirby could certainly support some flat rides. We already Donkey Kong representation is planned/imminent. Zelda could definitely support a single attraction or some type of immersive space. Agreed that with its renewed and continued popularity, Animal Crossing could absolutely support a coffee shop/intimate cafe/some other merchant-oriented location consistent with the charm, scale, and level of conflict of the games.

Outside that, yeah, there isn't a whole lot. Pokemon would make a killing if they could figure out the licenses, but I'm not sure they ever did.