Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

More news coming in February. With the pics of the app and the bands, this was already more than I was expecting today.

And the music video is just a commercial; a hype machine (and a clever way to use 3D assets created by Universal Creative lol). It's not really supposed to convey any real info. Just get people hyped.

This was made for a Japanese audience, not USA. .Companies tailor a message to their audience.

I mean, this isn't exactly being shown JUST to Japan though. The NA Nintendo YouTube, and the NA Universal Park Twitter accounts are all officially posting this (along with bringing global artists and not those from Japan directly).

More news coming in February. With the pics of the app and the bands, this was already more than I was expecting today.

And the music video is just a commercial; a hype machine (and a clever way to use 3D assets created by Universal Creative lol). It's not really supposed to convey any real info. Just get people hyped.

Yup, I think they handled things extremely well; and it'll get people hooked and waiting for more.

This was made for a Japanese audience, not USA. .Companies tailor a message to their audience.

I don’t know...it was shared immediately on the Universal Orlando page, features an English pop star, with English lyrics.
Yes. It was more tailored for Japanese, but there is definitely some cross culture going on here.
Music video was fine...I just wanted more (per usual)
As a hype video, I was much more interesting than the EPIC worlds announcement.

I think they handled today quite well; considering this was for all intents, the blowout of marketing. We should start to see USJ and NintendoPR start to trickle out details over the course of the next few months. Especially as how USH and UOR's Twitter accounts have now said their thing, it's time for things to move forward. Even if we don't have a firm date, I do think this is a good start. It's as @Alicia somewhat said too, today was about the core announcement of the Bands and the SNW app. And even then, USJ got to finally handle the year brand alongside that.
It goes without saying but I think the way they worded it on Twitter confirms Singapore is last to open as expected.

And of course they’re still playing coy about it being in Epic Universe lol

– Opening before the Summer Olympics at Universal Studios Japan in Osaka
– Followed by Universal Parks in Hollywood, Orlando and Singapore
– “No limit!” is the new brand slogan
– USJ marketing director Ayumu Yamamoto says: If Disney is the dreamworld then USJ is the wake world where we will energize you and make you feel alive
– Super Nintendo World will use tech + smartphone app
– Wearable wrist bands called the “Power Up Band” will make you feel like you’re part of the game world
– You can collect digital coins and compete with others
– “A life-size, living video game” – Thierry Coup
– Interactive experience.
-Free Switch renting

I think people are
missing the biggest thing...

Universal Parks has released a few new bits of information on #SuperNintendoWorld, the upcoming new land opening at Universal Studios Japan this Summer.

Reading some japanese articles, it seems you will be running and jumping in some of the play areas...the ad got that part right.
HD photos of the mario band on someone as well as the app by Japanese press...those bands look really sturdy too.

Sounds like Power Up Bands will only be available for purchase. Not free. This is essentially SNW's wands. (Let's hope they don't cost that much though.)
This sounds like Universal “fixed” everything “wrong” with wands. You have to buy one per person, not one per family. And there’s no motion, which is always a little finicky.

– Opening before the Summer Olympics at Universal Studios Japan in Osaka
– Followed by Universal Parks in Hollywood, Orlando and Singapore
– “No limit!” is the new brand slogan
– USJ marketing director Ayumu Yamamoto says: If Disney is the dreamworld then USJ is the wake world where we will energize you and make you feel alive
– Super Nintendo World will use tech + smartphone app
– Wearable wrist bands called the “Power Up Band” will make you feel like you’re part of the game world
– You can collect digital coins and compete with others
– “A life-size, living video game” – Thierry Coup
– Interactive experience.
-Free Switch renting

I think people are
missing the biggest thing...

If they can implement Switchs into the resorts, that is a huge plus for families.

I can see the Mario hat being the next Mickey Ears.

Buzz seems to be good online, everyone seeming excited about the park/land so that’s really what this intended to do. Grab peoples attention and give then wanting a little more. Loving everything in seeing so far.

But ya with the power up bands, Mario hats, this IP could very well be more profitable than Potter. This is gonna he such a huge W for Universal that Disney just cannot compete with

Buzz seems to be good online, everyone seeming excited about the park/land so that’s really what this intended to do. Grab peoples attention and give then wanting a little more. Loving everything in seeing so far.

But ya with the power up bands, Mario hats, this IP could very well be more profitable than Potter. This is gonna he such a huge W for Universal that Disney just cannot compete with

I dont personally see the active bands being as popular as wands. Especially if the games require actual physical movement Like jumping and running. The kids might be into it; but a lot of teens/adults will be too lazy. Way too early to say until we see what exactly the value is, and how exciting the games are. Mario hats have potential to take off, but they don’t have the same current variety of Mickey Ears. It will be curious if they are more customizable, beyond just the read hat.

Disney has plenty of IPs and ideas in their arsenal to counteract. If the Mario Kart ride system is a huge hit...a clone or similar version with Sugar Rush could be created, although unlikely as popular.

the best part of Nintendo land is it will give UOR a state of the art “young family area”. Something that’s missing in their parks, not in Disney parks.

official press release as well and its quite detailed.

SUPER NINTENDO WORLD will feature a new level of theme park guest experience that blends the physical world with the world of the video game – bringing the world of Nintendo to life in a whole new way for guests. Guests can use a combination of state-of-the-art technology – a wearable wrist band called a Power Up Band – and a specially designed app. This will allow them to have interactive experiences, making use of their arms, hands and entire bodies as they explore the new area – making them feel like they are truly part of the video game world. Guests can download the Universal Studios Japan app on their smartphones and link it to a Power Up Band that can be purchased in SUPER NINTENDO WORLD to enhance their experience. The Power Up Bands are themed to different characters, so guests can select to wear one based on one of their favorite Mushroom Kingdom characters!

While wearing the band, guests can collect digital coins just like Mario does in the games. They can even compete with other guests to see who collected the most coins, among other fun and friendly competitions. State-of-the-art technology is being used in the SUPER NINTENDO WORLD area to bring all of these interactive activities to life.

J.L. Bonnier, President, Chief Executive Officer, USJ LLC, said “It’s been more than 3 years since Universal Parks & Resorts announced the development of “SUPER NINTENDO WORLD” globally, I am very excited that we now have finally entered the year of opening SUPER NINTENDO WORLD. Since we have been intensively collaborating with the Representative Director and Fellow Shigeru Miyamoto who has received recognition as a Person of Cultural Merit, as well as collaborated with other talented members of Nintendo. Given this fact, we have great confidence in the quality of the new area. The history of “Asobi” (playing) created by Nintendo, the world's top game brand, has always surprised people with innovation. It's not too much to say that for decades, it's the one and only game entertainment that can share excitement from the same perspective, regardless of generation. We have finally welcomed a year in which Universal Studios Japan can deliver such exhilarating experience to its guests in collaboration with Nintendo, a company that has continued to deliver innovation to society.”

SUPER NINTENDO WORLD will feature many interactive features that will be familiar to anyone that knows Mario’s world. This includes Question Blocks that will appear around the area. While wearing a Power Up Band, guests can hit a real-life Question Block and collect coins, just like in the video game. Guests can also obtain collectible items, such as character stamps, by achieving various goals. Coins are allocated for each stamp, with the total number of coins earned by each guest ranked with all other guests in the park, making the entire experience feel like competing for a high score in a video game. There are all kinds of ways to earn coins throughout the entire land, and guests can keep score, compete against each other and celebrate together when they win.

In addition, “Key Challenges” will be featured throughout the SUPER NINTENDO WORLD area. By collecting a certain number of digital“keys,” guests can cooperate with other guests who also have keys to unlock additional gameplay opportunities, including “Boss Battles” against various enemy characters.

An accompanying song and music video for SUPER NINTENDO WORLD were also released globally today on Jan. 14, 2020. “We Are Born to Play” is expressing our wish to “bring to life the world of a Mario game.” Music was created as a collaboration between internationally-known dance music duo, Galantis and global pop superstar Charli XCX. The music video combines world most famous game soundtrack with new music and imagery. The music video also showcases the activities based on the real and interactive experiences available at “SUPER NINTENDO WORLD”—like hitting the blocks to gather coins and running and jumping.

Last edited:
Is there video for the full stage event?

Overall everything they released is awesome and definitely hypes this land up. I'm guessing they're doing a bit of a focus on "running and jumping" partially because it is coinciding with the Olympics.

The wristbands remind me of Amiibo, just with a wristband instead of a small plastic figure. I'm not super excited to have to pay extra to interact with the land, but it's Nintendo, so you have to expect paying a premium I guess.