Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

I dont personally see the active bands being as popular as wands. Especially if the games require actual physical movement Like jumping and running. The kids might be into it; but a lot of teens/adults will be too lazy. Way too early to say until we see what exactly the value is, and how exciting the games are. Mario hats have potential to take off, but they don’t have the same current variety of Mickey Ears. It will be curious if they are more customizable, beyond just the read hat.

Disney has plenty of IPs and ideas in their arsenal to counteract. If the Mario Kart ride system is a huge hit...a clone or similar version with Sugar Rush could be created, although unlikely as popular.

the best part of Nintendo land is it will give UOR a state of the art “young family area”. Something that’s missing in their parks, not in Disney parks.
Thats why this is such a major win. Not only do they finally have a young family area, they arguably will have the best young family area in the entire planet lol. Obviously the latter is still to be seen but its hard to not notice the quality at least as of now.

I think locking down this video game type land is just HUGE. The gaming crowd has not be represented in theme parks really until now. Now, we have an ENTIRE LAND that is interactive. Not 1 ride, not 2 rides, the entire land. That is game changing I just can't think of any other theme park experience currently out there that can replicate that. Again, need to see it fully in practice but everything they have given us so far seems A+.

Truly, speaking as 22 yo, people my age aren't really in the know about the theme parks in general (talking Uni and Disney here). In my lifetime, Disney has always been known as the best because,, well, its Disney. Its the largest, the most famous and well known, but nothing they did really grabbed the attention of millennial unless they've just already fully bought into the Disney model. Since the Wizarding World, the only things they've opened that have garnered as much public attention is Avatar, and SWGE. People my age are going to know theme parks by the Wizarding World, Star Wars, and Nintendo. Universal owns 2/3 IPs/lands. Idk maybe I'm speaking too much from my own circle of people but this is truly what I've gathered. Disney hasn't done a ton of major things here in the US until recently. Growing up for me, it was all Universal doing all the cool things. Cant help but think with adding a new park in Orlando, having this land across the world, along with other future Nintendo properties, id be a little bit worried if I were Disney. This is what a real "threat" to them looks like, I would say.

Thats why this is such a major win. Not only do they finally have a young family area, they arguably will have the best young family area in the entire planet lol. Obviously the latter is still to be seen but its hard to not notice the quality at least as of now.

I think locking down this video game type land is just HUGE. The gaming crowd has not be represented in theme parks really until now. Now, we have an ENTIRE LAND that is interactive. Not 1 ride, not 2 rides, the entire land. That is game changing I just can't think of any other theme park experience currently out there that can replicate that. Again, need to see it fully in practice but everything they have given us so far seems A+.

Truly, speaking as 22 yo, people my age aren't really in the know about the theme parks in general (talking Uni and Disney here). In my lifetime, Disney has always been known as the best because,, well, its Disney. Its the largest, the most famous and well known, but nothing they did really grabbed the attention of millennial unless they've just already fully bought into the Disney model. Since the Wizarding World, the only things they've opened that have garnered as much public attention is Avatar, and SWGE. People my age are going to know theme parks by the Wizarding World, Star Wars, and Nintendo. Universal owns 2/3 IPs/lands. Idk maybe I'm speaking too much from my own circle of people but this is truly what I've gathered. Disney hasn't done a ton of major things here in the US until recently. Growing up for me, it was all Universal doing all the cool things. Cant help but think with adding a new park in Orlando, having this land across the world, along with other future Nintendo properties, id be a little bit worried if I were Disney. This is what a real "threat" to them looks like, I would say.
Competition is good for us. If Disney feels threatened, then that means they'll invest more. Universal will then invest to make sure they have something opening not too long after Disney. Neither wants to be seen as falling behind.

In the end, the consumer always wins. Except for the raising prices. We're definitely losing that battle :lol:

Competition is good for us. If Disney feels threatened, then that means they'll invest more. Universal will then invest to make sure they have something opening not too long after Disney. Neither wants to be seen as falling behind.

In the end, the consumer always wins. Except for the raising prices. We're definitely losing that battle :lol:
Yep, this is a win for us. Likely wouldn't have gotten something like Rise without Potter, its awesome. From an outside perspective and being the consumer, watching these companies try and match/out-do each other is so entertaining. We are losing the cost battle, but if we get stuff like SNW, these are the things I am more than happy to spend my $ on.

Aerial footage of construction of the land, including a closup of Yoshi, who, correct me if I am wrong, appears to be on a turntable for motion?

OMG. Best views we've had yet. Does look like Yoshi is one something, wouldn't shock me at all if Yoshi moves around that tree or moves up and down like they're picking something off the ground or whatever. Every ad, concept art, has shown the mushroom kingdom being very active. I would not be surprised if the shell, Goombas, Yoshi, and whatever else is on the mountain move quite a bit. Seems like they want a lot of kinetic energy here. Also, Yoshi ride vehicles are on the track!!!

I'm with the rest of you on the Power Up bands and Mario hats....Universal is going to make a boatload of money on Nintendo merch! There is now no doubt in my mind that this WILL be the premiere land in EU! There is a reason that they moved this land to the new park.:cheers:

I'm with the rest of you on the Power Up bands and Mario hats....Universal is going to make a boatload of money on Nintendo merch! There is now no doubt in my mind that this WILL be the premiere land in EU! There is a reason that they moved this land to the new park.:cheers:
Don't want to drive this into an EU discussion, but I can't help but think that with another Wizarding World coming, I'm sure its going to be just as quality as this land is in its own ways. Man, EU is going to be one hell of a theme park honestly. Even if the tech/rides aren't up to par with SNW, FB, or other popular Universal attractions, the theming in SNW and what they appear to be doing in other lands at EU and Beijing is really incredible. Universal is doing a really great job of accomplishing their goals of putting you DIRECTLY into the story of the game/movie you are a fan of. I love the direction they're taking with their parks.

Also, while not AS much as it was when I was a kid, most kids play video games now. If not the vast majority. Kids have their own iPad's or phones before they're even done Elementary school, so games are much more built into a kids mindset then I feel they used to be. Another reason why this is just so huge for Universal.

Yep, this is a win for us. Likely wouldn't have gotten something like Rise without Potter, its awesome. From an outside perspective and being the consumer, watching these companies try and match/out-do each other is so entertaining. We are losing the cost battle, but if we get stuff like SNW, these are the things I am more than happy to spend my $ on.

OMG. Best views we've had yet. Does look like Yoshi is one something, wouldn't shock me at all if Yoshi moves around that tree or moves up and down like they're picking something off the ground or whatever. Every ad, concept art, has shown the mushroom kingdom being very active. I would not be surprised if the shell, Goombas, Yoshi, and whatever else is on the mountain move quite a bit. Seems like they want a lot of kinetic energy here. Also, Yoshi ride vehicles are on the track!!!
I totally overlooked that, thanks for pointing that out!

That's not a turntable. It is a track. He will not only go around the tree. He will go up and down too. It is like the OLD turtle flat ride.

If this is true, SO COOl.

Also I'm betting that tower of Goombas is going to move too. My lord this land is going to be awesome. Sorry y'all for the generic "So cool!" reactions all the time but I'm genuinely left almost speechless at every new develop we learn. Just sounding like they're going to nail this.

There is hyping and then completely overselling the actual experience. It was fun to watch though. Was hoping for some actual concrete ride details. I don’t think anyone will be running around the park and jumping. I could be wrong though.

they need to add a “not actual gameplay” disclaimer...lol.

Dude:

The music video also showcases the activities based on the real and interactive experiences available at “SUPER NINTENDO WORLD”—like hitting the blocks to gather coins and running and jumping.

I dont personally see the active bands being as popular as wands. Especially if the games require actual physical movement Like jumping and running. The kids might be into it; but a lot of teens/adults will be too lazy. Way too early to say until we see what exactly the value is, and how exciting the games are. Mario hats have potential to take off, but they don’t have the same current variety of Mickey Ears. It will be curious if they are more customizable, beyond just the read hat.

Disney has plenty of IPs and ideas in their arsenal to counteract. If the Mario Kart ride system is a huge hit...a clone or similar version with Sugar Rush could be created, although unlikely as popular.

the best part of Nintendo land is it will give UOR a state of the art “young family area”. Something that’s missing in their parks, not in Disney parks.

So when it's confirmed then it's bad now? Also why are the Disney comparisons ok when it's towards Universal way but not the other way around? Isn't that your whole thing?

-----

"We Are Born to Play" is currently trending #18 on YouTube, FYI.

The app screenshot fascinated me.
The screenshot shares a lot of the design language from Super Mario Run, Nintendo’s first mobile game. The game was built by a third-party studio in heavy collaboration with Nintendo.
It really makes me wonder who will be responsible for building the Nintendo app. Will it be a part of the Universal Orlando/Hollywood/Japan app or will it be standalone? Will Universal build it, Nintendo, or another third party studio?
I’m a huge fan of Disney Parks’ various mobile apps. Universal’s have never been as well designed or easy-to-use. I’m hoping that the SNW app will help them build a better main app.

The screenshot shares a lot of the design language from Super Mario Run, Nintendo’s first mobile game. The game was built by a third-party studio in heavy collaboration with Nintendo.
It really makes me wonder who will be responsible for building the Nintendo app. Will it be a part of the Universal Orlando/Hollywood/Japan app or will it be standalone? Will Universal build it, Nintendo, or another third party studio?
I’m a huge fan of Disney Parks’ various mobile apps. Universal’s have never been as well designed or easy-to-use. I’m hoping that the SNW app will help them build a better main app.
I'm also not a fan of Universal's app, and I loathe their mobile web site. It's just UGLY. And Universal really needs to work more with their partners like Loews and the company that handles their version of Photopass. They are not integrated very well into a singular vacation experience.

According to the official press release it sounds like it will be built-into the Universal Studios Japan app, (just like the Fast & Furious interactive play functions are built into our Universal Orlando app). Of course, that isn't to say I know who built it, just that it doesn't appear to be stand alone. Also, it's not unusual for interfaces from two completely different design firms to look the same when both are given the same trade-dress and look rules from the parent company, which I would expect here, just like the collaboration on Mario Run.

Following from Press Release:

Guests can download the Universal Studios Japan app on their smartphones and link it to a Power Up Band that can be purchased in SUPER NINTENDO WORLD to enhance their experience.

I'm also not a fan of Universal's app, and I loathe their mobile web site. It's just UGLY. And Universal really needs to work more with their partners like Loews and the company that handles their version of Photopass. They are not integrated very well into a singular vacation experience.
Their version of photopass is terrible if you’re on vacation as the photos you take are completely erased and never seen again if you don’t buy them by the end of the day. Integration into their app like MDX would be a great improvement.

I just realised I won't be able to jump and hit the box from my EV. I wonder if they make up for that by adding something for us in the queue area's for guests with special needs. At least the video didn't show any disabled person and that made me check the internet and it's clearly a cultural thing as this is what I found (it's shocking):
From the 1940s to 1996, Japan's government sterilised people with a mental illness or disability because it deemed them "inferior". ... A belief that all disabled people should be euthanized led to a stabbing spree at a disabled care home in 2016. It was Japan's worst mass killing since world war two.

This disturbing fact aside, if Universal can pull this whole play thing off it would be, again, a game changer (pun intended). I have no doubt that, with the power of Nintendo behind them, they will succeed.

I mean they're making the land itself a literal video game, that's f'ing awesome and something no theme park has seen before. Its exactly what a video game park should be.