Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 166 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Without AR goggles, it's a cute dark ride.

With AR goggles, it's an action packed shooter/racer.

They have killed the AR aspect. I'm still blown away by how they made it look so flawless. While the AR video does show some jutter, this is most likely due to the camera moving.With the goggles strapped to your head, you won't get that. The blending of the screens to the environment is a master stroke of good celver design.

I had planned on not watching this but who knows when I'll be in a position to ride it and videos for rides like this will never compare to the actual experience.
Yes. It's good either way. And for a POV viewing, it's probably more clarity on the background of the ride to watch the version without AR goggles. The attraction seems much faster with the AR though. @Alicia has both versions over her Theme Park Stop site.

Reactions: Frogki
Warning: reaction on POV.

Remember you only see the left eye so the AR doesn't line up perfectly with the scene's and the image is not in 3D (when including the right eye it would). Also the glaring of the phone in the screen of the headset ruins the experience in the video and the handshaking of the AR headset and phone also make the lining not as good as in real life.
That said I'm very impressed with the sets, the AR and the combination of these two. The moving cloud AA's and the wind animation the headset is just so cool and can't be done convincing in any other way. The ride also looks hectic as hell because there is no letting down on movement from the scene's, screens, projection, AR and the vehicle. I expect to ride this attraction at least 10 times to get the grips of what is going on.

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Well, MIB will tide me over until it comes here.

I still have to wonder if peoples’ expectations of speed will cause negative reception overall? Would be a shame, because this is pretty much what I wanted. Granted I’m not an avid MK fan.

Last edited:
Watching the non-AR ride-through, I'm even more impressed by the show scenes, especially elements towards the end that I assumed were part of the AR. I can take or leave the AR, frankly, but thankfully there's enough physical design work being implemented that I'd probably be satisfied riding even without the headset.

If only...

... the big Bowser boss was a huge animatronic!

I just don't think people are understanding how frenetic the ride will feel when fully enveloped by the AR.

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Well, MIB will tide me over until it comes here.

I still have to wonder if peoples’ expectations of speed will cause negative reception overall? Would be a shame, because this is pretty much what I wanted. Granted I’m not an avid MK fan.

I expect many theme park fan to complain about how slow it is when they watch videos and then love it once they ride it.

Just based on reactions and rumors, it seems like the Donkey Kong ride was more what people were looking for. Something both physical and moderately thrilling. Either way, this is an incredible achievement. Universal has shown they can get both the look and the technology down, which bodes well for future Nintendo attractions.

Just based on reactions and rumors, it seems like the Donkey Kong ride was more what people were looking for. Something both physical and moderately thrilling. Either way, this is an incredible achievement. Universal has shown they can get both the look and the technology down, which bodes well for future Nintendo attractions.
I think people will probably be disappointed by the thrill level of Donkey Kong, tbh. I am expecting something *maybe* as thrilling as SDMT.

I think for most people that will be enough, and about what I was expecting.

I guess considering the rumors here forever, I had 0 expectations of "thrill" when it came to MK.

EDIT: Not saying this is you, but in general I also have to laugh at everyone always saying "Why doesn't Universal build family e-tickets!?" and here is a big, huge e-ticket for the family and everyone is complaining it's not thrilling enough

I would think that the gimmick alone will make it more thrilling I’m not expecting Hagrids level thrilling mind you.

We'll see. The tests of the ride system have looked *very* slow. So we'll see.

I think that sums up my thoughts. I'm more excited for DK but this looks very well executed and undoubtedly is a better experience in person.

Purely based on the POV's, which doesn't give a true picture of the experience, I'd say I would prefer Rise or Forbidden Journey. But it's not a competition and hey it's another E-Ticket :thumbsup:

Reactions: Magic-Man
We'll see. The tests of the ride system have looked *very* slow. So we'll see.
It depends somewhat on the show scenes. I think Space Mountain is technically slower than SDMT but feels more thrilling for obvious reasons. Maybe the track jumps and the show scenes seal the deal.

It depends somewhat on the show scenes. I think Space Mountain is technically slower than SDMT but feels more thrilling for obvious reasons. Maybe the track jumps and the show scenes seal the deal.

"It depends on the show scenes" just like MK's "thrill" depends on the AR. :lol:

Judging from the povs would any of you say that the thrill level is about on par with MIB?

*Yes I know it’s not supposed to be “thrilling”, but I’m just wondering.

The spinning is far less intense than MIB. This is a true family-style attraction

Judging from the povs would any of you say that the thrill level is about on par with MIB?

*Yes I know it’s not supposed to be “thrilling”, but I’m just wondering.
(*pulls up a quick POV of MIB to compare speeds*)....without AR, yes.

EDIT: Not saying this is you, but in general I also have to laugh at everyone always saying "Why doesn't Universal build family e-tickets!?" and here is a big, huge e-ticket for the family and everyone is complaining it's not thrilling enough
I think some people want the family e-tickets but they don't want there to be a trade-off. They want the Mario Kart ride for families and the insane Mario Galaxy coaster, when practically it's either gonna be one or the other based on what's best for the I.P or the park.

It's really hard to tell what is going on in a video for this ride. Maybe I'm looking at a bad video, but all the AR stuff seems choppy and cuts off a lot.