Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

In the new UOR promo, the only scenes with legalize at the bottom are for those that include Marvel Superhero Island. It states “Universal’s Islands of Adventure. I wonder why.

could it have something to do with the fact it’s the only brand also represented in another theme park?
https://twitter.com/universalorl/status /1210561077651611648?s=21

In the new UOR promo, the only scenes with legalize at the bottom are for those that include Marvel Superhero Island. It states “Universal’s Islands of Adventure. I wonder why.

could it have something to do with the fact it’s the only brand also represented in another theme park?

That does seem a little odd. You'd expect something similar for MIB, Simpsons, Potter and Transformers.

That would be my guess

I was recently a guest on Dizney Coast to Coast to talk about Disney properties, specifically Marvel and Simpsons, at Universal Parks.

Finally had a moment to listen to this. Great job @Brian G.

I think the other person on the podcast kind of summed up a lot of Disney fans by wanting Marvel out of Universal and into Disney without really giving any sort of reason why.

Given the recent rumor on Spider-Man @ USJ, I want to ask (as I think I don't see it pointed out), was Japan's contract for The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (and subsequently the Spider-Family for Japan as a whole) done at the same time as the MCA contract? Or was that done at a later point?

Given the recent rumor on Spider-Man @ USJ, I want to ask (as I think I don't see it pointed out), was Japan's contract for The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (and subsequently the Spider-Family for Japan as a whole) done at the same time as the MCA contract? Or was that done at a later point?

USJ is also covered by the 1994 Marvel-Universal contract. It would be bewildering if there's a separate agreement between USJ and Marvel regarding Marvel properties.

I think the other person on the podcast kind of summed up a lot of Disney fans by wanting Marvel out of Universal and into Disney without really giving any sort of reason why.

At the risk of sparking an inflammatory debate, the Disney fan should try having a modicum of objectivity and realize we don't need the kind of junk they built in DCA sullying the Marvel name. Disney can have Guardians, leave the rest of Marvel in Universal's capable hands.

At the risk of sparking an inflammatory debate, the Disney fan should try having a modicum of objectivity and realize we don't need the kind of junk they built in DCA sullying the Marvel name. Disney can have Guardians, leave the rest of Marvel in Universal's capable hands.

It's not possible, though, given that Disney is the owner of Marvel, and Universal can't do anything to expand new Marvel attractions outside of IOA except at IOA itself.

It's not possible, though, given that Disney is the owner of Marvel, and Universal can't do anything to expand new Marvel attractions outside of IOA except at IOA itself.

Disney has no legal grounds to break the contract. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway if they ever did force it out of IOA, then that's sad news for Marvel fans because Avengers Campus looks awful, the Spider-Man ride in particular is embarrassing.

Disney has no legal grounds to break the contract. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway if they ever did force it out of IOA, then that's sad news for Marvel fans because Avengers Campus looks awful, the Spider-Man ride in particular is embarrassing.

If Disney finds that Universal is practicing the Marvel contract in bad faith, with additions that negatively depict characters; I thought that'd be when Disney would try to take it to court, no?

There is no reason for both Universal or Disney to stab eachother in the backs when it comes to Marvel. Especially for the profits the IP makes.

Since Disney owns Marvel Entertainment as a whole, Universal cannot build any future Marvel attractions outside of IOA. Pre-2009 Marvel contract stipulated that Universal holds the rights of specific Marvel characters for attractions East of the Mississippi as well as the Marvel name in both West and East of the Mississippi, as Universal never owned Marvel itself. Disney came in and sweep up Marvel, so Universal simply doesn't have the right to build new Marvel attractions outside of IOA.

If Disney finds that Universal is practicing the Marvel contract in bad faith, with additions that negatively depict characters; I thought that'd be when Disney would try to take it to court, no?

There is no reason for both Universal or Disney to stab eachother in the backs when it comes to Marvel. Especially for the profits the IP makes.

Disney and Universal have no problem taking things to courts when contracts are being violated. Of course, both companies are being careful not to do that though.

I don't think it's in Disney's interest to retake the Marvel rights in Orlando. As it stands, Disney are still making money from merch sales in IOA and they have a huge list of properties they could build in WDW and given the pace they're currently building at, narrowing down their list might benefit them. Plus, it would just cost too much for little in return.

I don't think Universal will ever get themselves into that situation. It's in their interest to make the characters correct and Marvel will always be willing to help out. Plus Marvel has a long love for Universal as they believed in them in the 90s when nobody else did.

What's the situation with Spider-Man in Japan? Could they add a new ride based on the Spider-Man list of characters?