The Condition of the Yeti AA | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

The Condition of the Yeti AA

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To my knowledge there were plans in place to fix him without needing downtime that were never approved.

From what I understood it was approved which is why it was covered up for a couple of days last year, and they were trying to bring back some sort of partial movment until they bring the ride down to fix it completely, but the partial movement still put too much strain on the foundation which is why it was scrapped.

When it comes to the ride itself, yes it sucks that the Yeti doesn't move, but it still doesn't take away the fact that this is a fun as heck ride.

I don't think the Yeti being able to move is that big of a deal. Clearly, not everybody (and probably most guests) don't even notice the yeti doesn't move. Does that mean that it takes away from the experience? Not at all. The ride is amazing with or without you being able to see a yeti move around for a split second while you are too busy being flung around inside the mountain. I don't think it would influence guests to enjoy the ride more, no more do I think that fixing it would change anything.... other than get a few orlando theme park fans to flee to Animal Kingdom to see it working again.

I don't think the Yeti being able to move is that big of a deal. Clearly, not everybody (and probably most guests) don't even notice the yeti doesn't move. Does that mean that it takes away from the experience? Not at all. The ride is amazing with or without you being able to see a yeti move around for a split second while you are too busy being flung around inside the mountain. I don't think it would influence guests to enjoy the ride more, no more do I think that fixing it would change anything.... other than get a few orlando theme park fans to flee to Animal Kingdom to see it working again.
:mad:

While it may not be a major problem, they advertised this one animatronic, and still continue to advertise it, as a MAJOR part of the ride. What would you say if in Jaws, instead of the sharks moving, Uni just used lighting to make it look like it was moving? When a major part of your ride breaks down, you can't just turn that part of the ride into a disco, strobe lights do NOT solve this problem. Disney needs to FIX THIS and make SURE that every part of any Disney ride works almost perfectly.

Sorry to be the newbie (...I've searched but you would not believe how many times the word Yeti is used on these forums)

I never got to go on this during my last trip, I was just wondering what is the Yeti supposed to do, was it just basic movement or was it a more robust animatronic and does anyone have a picture of it?

I

I never got to go on this during my last trip, I was just wondering what is the Yeti supposed to do, was it just basic movement or was it a more robust animatronic and does anyone have a picture of it?

Here's a video of the Yeti in action (seen from 2:15 - 2:20) :

[video=youtube;GaCKexzMSXc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaCKexzMSXc[/video]

I don't see it advertised? And if it was that advertised, then people would take notice that it doesn't move. Clearly they don't.
It doesn't effect the ride experience, as much as it would "improve" it. It's not taking anything away from the attraction, imho.

I don't see it advertised? And if it was that advertised, then people would take notice that it doesn't move. Clearly they don't.
It doesn't effect the ride experience, as much as it would "improve" it. It's not taking anything away from the attraction, imho.

Where are you getting this "people aren't noticing stuff"? As for the advertising, it most definitely has been advertised multiple times and they even went into detail and boasted about it several times on the Travel Channel and Discovery Channel. Examples:

Commercial (0:38 - 0:40): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcGAwKMhdHY
Discovery Channel special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydlrtHK7JmY&playnext=1&list=PL19A657291A36C033
WDW's website: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/animal-kingdom/attractions/expedition-everest/

Everest is still a great attraction, but by missing the Yeti, they are missing a huge point in the storyline/themeing.

Where are you getting this "people aren't noticing stuff"? As for the advertising, it most definitely has been advertised multiple times and they even went into detail and boasted about it several times on the Travel Channel and Discovery Channel. Examples:

Commercial (0:38 - 0:40): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcGAwKMhdHY
Discovery Channel special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydlrtHK7JmY&playnext=1&list=PL19A657291A36C033
WDW's website: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/animal-kingdom/attractions/expedition-everest/

Everest is still a great attraction, but by missing the Yeti, they are missing a huge point in the storyline/themeing.

Wait. The Yeti is supposed to MOVE?!?!?!?!?

If this is from an active Orlando Theme Park forum member, then I'm sure that regular park guests don't notice it. (Atleast thats what I think.)
The videos are obviously old and need to be updated, and I'm not saying that getting the yeti working is a bad thing, I just don't think that making it move so that some people flying by in a coaster can see it fling it's arms around for a split second, will benefit Disney right now. Therefore, they aren't going to fix it because they have other things to be doing that are more important or that will benefit the company.

If this is from an active Orlando Theme Park forum member, then I'm sure that regular park guests don't notice it. (Atleast thats what I think.)
The videos are obviously old and need to be updated, and I'm not saying that getting the yeti working is a bad thing, I just don't think that making it move so that some people flying by in a coaster can see it fling it's arms around for a split second, will benefit Disney right now. Therefore, they aren't going to fix it because they have other things to be doing that are more important or that will benefit the company.

TSSD was being sarcastic. And from someone who frequently travels with regular park guests, yes, they do notice. Not all, but many do.

Many guests don't even see the yeti at all, I've heard numerous people say things along the lines of, "My friend said the yeti was really scary, but that projection was rubbish" or "I thought there was meant to be a yeti?".
That to me is a problem, especially if they are still advertising the ride with the yeti as a focal point.

Many guests don't even see the yeti at all, I've heard numerous people say things along the lines of, "My friend said the yeti was really scary, but that projection was rubbish" or "I thought there was meant to be a yeti?".
That to me is a problem, especially if they are still advertising the ride with the yeti as a focal point.

Those are the people who ride with their eyes closed :lol:

Its pretty dang hard NOT to see the Yeti.

With the original show lighting you could also see him a lot more clearly and a lot longer than you can with the periodical strobe of a light.

The theming is good, but I was a little let down by the actual ride. By no means is it a bad ride, it just doesnt have a real "WOW" factor that one would expect out of a spearhead attraction.(without the yeti)

However the yet really makes ride experience miles better. If it is refurbed so it works, i will definitely go to AK as fast as i can.