The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that's why the new Minions Conveyor Ride is so allegedly "temporary"
I'm hesitant to say that's why it's temporary because I can see a conveyor ride lacking permanence on its own, but the potentially similar timeline for attractions in that area seems interesting.

Reactions: shiekra38
I want this too, but I feel like the right side of the park needs to fixed up before that happens. After Bourne, the first major thing people will see is Kidzone.
That’s how I feel. Hollywood is my favorite area of the park but there are no major attractions except for Bourne, which is still just a show. I wonder if they ever built “Universal’s Epic Movie Ride” if that could replace Kidzone, and then they could expand the Hollywood theming all the way up to Springfield. The atmosphere of this area is awesome, I’d just like to see it given a major attraction. The only issue would be ET, but even then the interior could remain the same and they could just give it a new ‘hot set’ facade or something.

That’s how I feel. Hollywood is my favorite area of the park but there are no major attractions except for Bourne, which is still just a show. I wonder if they ever built “Universal’s Epic Movie Ride” if that could replace Kidzone, and then they could expand the Hollywood theming all the way up to Springfield. The atmosphere of this area is awesome, I’d just like to see it given a major attraction. The only issue would be ET, but even then the interior could remain the same and they could just give it a new ‘hot set’ facade or something.
E.T.’s not really a stretch, the film takes place in a suburban town in California, and you fly over L.A. in the ride. Either extending Hollywood or making KidZone into a sort of legacy land would be a good addition to the park.

Yep. A few of us have been saying the same for a good number of years.

The current entrance makes perfect sense when it was a park with actual filming taking place, but it now it just feels dated and bland.

I'm not holding out for this personally

I think any redo would be done within the confines of the plots of land that are already occupied

A nice facelift on the soundstages (i.e. adding some facades) and perhaps a redo of the outside of everything Today Show Cafe back to the arches would be possible

Otherwise I don't see it happening

I know we're heading towards blue sky territory, but it is easily doable with the current space it occupies. It just needs new facades, some trees and other enhancements. I would refurbish ET and have its facade/queue moved to the current NBC preview center in central park and make that this park's "thesis" attraction.

The current entrance makes perfect sense when it was a park with actual filming taking place, but it now it just feels dated and bland.
I think more likely than not they’re gonna keep production central as a studio themed area, easy to switch out IP and decorate for special events like HHN. Also the resorts main concert venue is right there. Filming still does still take place at the park, so it still makes sense.

I think more likely than not they’re gonna keep production central as a studio themed area, easy to switch out IP and decorate for special events like HHN. Also the resorts main concert venue is right there. Filming still does still take place at the park, so it still makes sense.

What decor do they put in production central? Other than some very minor signs it surprisingly receives very minor decor for HHN and the holidays. The music plaza stage can remain, I'm talking mostly about the turnstiles/studio store/Today Cafe area.

Filming rarely takes place, and if it does it is inside the soundstages.

What decor do they put in production central? Other than some very minor signs it surprisingly receives very minor decor for HHN and the holidays. The music plaza stage can remain, I'm talking mostly about the turnstiles/studio store/Today Cafe area.

Filming rarely takes place, and if it does it is inside the soundstages.
Ah I thought we were talking more about the area past that, like from the soundstages to around the music plaza and transformers. I still think the current park entrance works well enough. I like the look of the studio offices and the arches are always awesome of course. Just because it’s not a working studio anymore doesn’t mean it can’t look like one still.

I suppose the great debate is whether or not you see an exposed soundstage as theming or the absence of it

Personally, I think the cheeky meta "this is a backlot" thing has come and gone

If the soundstages are some glue that holds USF's thematic integrity together then it's in worse shape than I thought

Production Central has always been funky, even in the days when Hitchcock was right across the street from Hannah Barbera...perhaps even more-so

I look at Fallon as a way that they can indeed make a soundstage vanish with minimal capital

Ah I thought we were talking more about the area past that, like from the soundstages to around the music plaza and transformers. I still think the current park entrance works well enough. I like the look of the studio offices and the arches are always awesome of course. Just because it’s not a working studio anymore doesn’t mean it can’t look like one still.

I have no problem with a studio theme, its just very bland at the moment - it's a gimmick that is seen as cheap nowadays. I would prefer if they use a very similar design to Hollywood's entrance revamp from a few years ago. Should also be a part of a larger resort-wide project to finally fix/remove turnstiles. Seeing all those ticket booths at the front of the park makes it look like a waste of space.

I suppose the great debate is whether or not you see an exposed soundstage as theming or the absence of it

Personally, I think the cheeky meta "this is a backlot" thing has come and gone

If the soundstages are some glue that holds USF's thematic integrity together then it's in worse shape than I thought

Production Central has always been funky, even in the days when Hitchcock was right across the street from Hannah Barbera...perhaps even more-so

I look at Fallon as a way that they can indeed make a soundstage vanish with minimal capital
Call me old fashioned, I still it's a cool "theme" being on a production backlot. The park is called Universal STUDIOS, it would be weird if there wasn't anything studio themed *cough* DHS *cough*

Just my dream/opinion, but if I were Universal, I would take this time to redo the park entrance and design it to force guests down Hollywood. Make that this park's main street/port of entry.
Wouldn't that make the current production central a dead end? I feel Universal missed gave up on production central. When the park opened, it made sure production central felt like a working backstage area. I personally feel that is where things like animal actors and fear factor should have went since they are sort of production shows. Production Central needs more , well, production themed attractions, be it a walk trough museum of sorts or something emphasizing the art of film/movie magic. Bring back some form of the bone yard.

Would love to see the current Hello Kitty store, Shrek soundstage, and surrounding areas transitioned into being the Epic Movie Ride idea with the entrance being located where the current Wait time E-sign and Drink stand are, turning that area from less of a roadlike intersection and more into a walkable hub with an albiet small weenie being the EMR entrance. Use the same theming as the scrapped DWT designs and add some foliage and water effects and the entrance could look legitimately beautiful. Give the entrance of Production Central some timeless Hollywood charm and aesthetics. USF doesn't have to be as fantastical as IoA, but it still can and should look really nice.

Transitioning E.T. into being a Hollywood attraction is a great idea and would go a long way to giving that area of the park a hook. I believe it was planned to end up that way back when SNW was going into Kidzone so who knows, maybe we'll end up seeing that happen one day.

Call me old fashioned, I still it's a cool "theme" being on a production backlot. The park is called Universal STUDIOS, it would be weird if there wasn't anything studio themed *cough* DHS *cough*
That's fine if it's consistent

My issue is when you have highly detailed immersive areas, some less detailed but still immersive, and then "Production Central"

There's nothing about USF that reinforces the "you're on a backlot" vibe

That's fine if it's consistent

My issue is when you have highly detailed immersive areas, some less detailed but still immersive, and then "Production Central"

There's nothing about USF that reinforces the "you're on a backlot" vibe
Agreed. When the park first opened it worked better, as you had the prop yard and more soundstages that were meant to look like soundstages. Now those stages have been torn down (transformers) or given cheap overlays with minimal facades (minions). This part of the park feels like it was made for seasonal events rather than cohesive attractions. It almost feels temporary. I’d love to see Hollywood extended into this area to give it at least something of a solid-theme, even if it has to feel more studio-like than the current Hollywood area.

Agreed. When the park first opened it worked better, as you had the prop yard and more soundstages that were meant to look like soundstages. Now those stages have been torn down (transformers) or given cheap overlays with minimal facades (minions). This part of the park feels like it was made for seasonal events rather than cohesive attractions. It almost feels temporary. I’d love to see Hollywood extended into this area to give it at least something of a solid-theme, even if it has to feel more studio-like than the current Hollywood area.
Yes, I'm not saying demolish them, I'm just saying cover/improve them in the same way they did Fallon

Some city facades with Minion propaganda would be fun honestly

The Hollywood Minion area looks tremendous

Status
Not open for further replies.