The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 202 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, it broke my weird little heart to walk by an abandoned PF on my last trip. I always loved the attraction despite it's flaws. The façade and theming were top-notch, and getting to walk into that building always provided a thrill for me. Was the building structurally unstable or in danger of collapse or something?
In danger of massive health violations that could result in a ginormous class action lawsuit.

I’ve always said, if anyone missed the prior “ET Scent” at ET Adventure from the 2000s and preferred that to the actual pine scent they’re pumping now (again,) then go visit Poseidon’s Fury.

…Personally I prefer actual pine scent over mildew, but that’s me.

Maybe I was on to something.

Horror Make-Up is still going strong as well.
Even though it’s my favorite show- that auditorium is tiny.
If it had something the size of Bourne, it might be dead already.

Universal can do great shows, they just need to find the right fit that caters to all audiences.

Not to draw comparisons between the companies and get bogged down in that mess, but Disney, for the most part, does shows better. (Or at least packs their show’s seats better.)

Yeah, I do not think the issue is that Universal doesn't know how to do good shows, or that guests don't appreciate shows.

Disney simply has vastly better IP than universal. Or anyone, for that matter.

Just mickey and the princesses single-handedly can make a show better than anything universal could comprehend. Which is why almost all the large stage shows disney has domestically or internationally revolves around those.

HTTYD show in Beijing is certainly the closest universal has ever come to tapping into those emotional moments that basically only disney can offer. Grinchmas also does well (but not universal IP). And I’m very interested to see what they do with HP/FB over at epic universe. But that also isn’t a universal IP. Neither is a Nintendo one like Zelda could have.
But universal is certainly capable of creating a great show- I just don’t know what IP will give it the longevity that even as basic a show as BatB at DHS can give. They will likely need to step outside the company to find something.
Zelda, if given the right storytelling with the round theater, would have been interesting to see how it would have fared.

Just mickey and the princesses single-handedly can make a show better than anything universal could comprehend. Which is why almost all the large stage shows disney has domestically or internationally revolves around those.

HTTYD show in Beijing is certainly the closest universal has ever come to tapping into those emotional moments that basically only disney can offer. Grinchmas also does well (but not universal IP). And I’m very interested to see what they do with HP/FB over at epic universe. But that also isn’t a universal IP. Neither is a Nintendo one like Zelda could have.
But universal is certainly capable of creating a great show- I just don’t know what IP will give it the longevity that even as basic a show as BatB at DHS can give. They will likely need to step outside the company to find something.
Zelda, if given the right storytelling with the round theater, would have been interesting to see how it would have fared.
Agree that Universal doesn't have the in-house IP power to create shows... but they certainly have the ability to chase a few external IPs.

Sea World doesn't have any in house IPs yet they do pretty well with their shows especially the seasonal shows. Only one show I have watched there has been a flop. Last years summer show was truly awful at Sea World.

Sea World doesn't have any in house IPs yet they do pretty well with their shows especially the seasonal shows. Only one show I have watched there has been a flop. Last years summer show was truly awful at Sea World.
Yeah that summer show was something...

They have two excellent holiday shows and a nighttime show that is better (and surprisingly more emotional) than any nighttime show UOR has done yet.

Reactions: IzzyB and Grabnar

They have two excellent holiday shows and a nighttime show that is better (and surprisingly more emotional) than any nighttime show UOR has done yet.
My personal opinion is that IP is generally used as a crutch for lazy show-writing. The best nighttime shows at Disney barely use IP, or use it in a more light-handed approach. See: Illuminations vs Luminous vs Harmonious for a good example.

I just wish they could bring Miracles back. Best show ever in my opinion and had nothing to do with the Orca part, it was the music, fountains, and Story that made that show. And of course the sax at the beginning. I just don't see how Universal can't do better shows if Sea World the lowest park in Orlando can do it.

Reactions: Grabnar
My personal opinion is that IP is generally used as a crutch for lazy show-writing. The best nighttime shows at Disney barely use IP, or use it in a more light-handed approach. See: Illuminations vs Luminous vs Harmonious for a good example.
Agree. WaterWorld (and Bourne!) has proven that the relevancy of an IP doesn't matter as long as quality wins out. Cinematic Celebration was a great show... but shoving IPs like F&F that don't fit well into a nighttime spectacular can kill a show's popularity (especially right at the beginning of the show).

I just wish they could bring Miracles back. Best show ever in my opinion and had nothing to do with the Orca part, it was the music, fountains, and Story that made that show. And of course the sax at the beginning. I just don't see how Universal can't do better shows if Sea World the lowest park in Orlando can do it.
They still do the sax during the holidays with Orca Encounter surprisingly. If you look back at some of SeaWorld's previous shows, they definitely felt like a Disney production... just with animals lol

Agree. WaterWorld (and Bourne!) has proven that the relevancy of an IP doesn't matter as long as quality wins out. Cinematic Celebration was a great show... but shoving IPs like F&F that don't fit well into a nighttime spectacular can kill a show's popularity (especially right at the beginning of the show).

They still do the sax during the holidays with Orca Encounter surprisingly. If you look back at some of SeaWorld's previous shows, they definitely felt like a Disney production... just with animals lol
Yes I heard he does open for Orca, but I want everything else too. The singer, the story, the fountains, etc. That was and still is my favorite Orlando show of all time. I don't know what it was about it, but I just loved it. But even without Miracles, the offerings during Christmas are still the best and they do some amazing summer stuff too. I just think Universal needs to start to focus on entertainment especially special peak season shows. It would really make the guest experience better and bring down the waits a little.

Not having in house IPs is a poor excuse when the park down the street does it with only Sesame Street. And this last Christmas outside of the one parade none were themed to sesame street.

Don't forget about Nightmare Fuel, outside of a bunch of covered pop songs it's entirely IP free.

I'm interested in seeing what they do with the new show next week. I don't think that anything at Universal has topped the original HHN fountain show for me, but I'm open to be surprised.

Reactions: TCox91
I’ve always said, if anyone missed the prior “ET Scent” at ET Adventure from the 2000s and preferred that to the actual pine scent they’re pumping now (again,) then go visit Poseidon’s Fury.

…Personally I prefer actual pine scent over mildew, but that’s me.

Maybe I was on to something.

Oh I do too! Just not the smell. ;)
Haha hey now!! I loved those nasty smells!! I also enjoy the smell of the gasoline fumes at Tomorrowland Speedway. Is it so bad to like having a little bit of poisoning in my theme park day?! Just as a little treat?? :lmao: :skull: