The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 200 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Is it really ?

I mean yea it’s unfortunate there is no attraction in this space but rushing the process would be worse.

Sitting a little longer is not gonna hurt anybody if there are plans in the works.
Since HP has opened attendance has gone up a ton, but capacity in IOA has not increased. Hagrids replaced DD which is lower capacity, VC and Kong are new, but then they closed down Sinbad and PF. They really do need more capacity and figuring out a stage show for one of the two theaters would really help until they figure out that area.

Since HP has opened attendance has gone up a ton, but capacity in IOA has not increased. Hagrids replaced DD which is lower capacity, VC and Kong are new, but then they closed down Sinbad and PF. They really do need more capacity and figuring out a stage show for one of the two theaters would really help until they figure out that area.
Sinbad has been closed for a couple of years now so that’s not really relevant to my post.

A stage show would be nice but IOA is fine at the moment in my opinion.

If Alicia is correct about Zelda being sent back to the drawing board, I wonder what ride they concept they will go for now. The last rumor for Zelda was some sort of boat ride.
I hope it's not true. IOA already has a few water rides in the park, three at Toon Lagoon and one at Jurassic Park. Zelda could benefit from being an expansive, traditional dark ride instead.

Reactions: belloq87
I hope it's not true. IOA already has a few water rides in the park, three at Toon Lagoon and one at Jurassic Park. Zelda could benefit from being an expansive, traditional dark ride instead.
Assuming they no longer have cold feet from Kong, the Zelda IP sounds like it would have a lot of potential with a trackless ride system. Probably wishful thinking I know, but it's fun to imagine the possibilities.

Sinbad has been closed for a couple of years now so that’s not really relevant to my post.

A stage show would be nice but IOA is fine at the moment in my opinion.
But it is valid to my point that capacity in IOA is an issue. Attendance jumping by a lot yet no real additional capacity is an issue and waiting until after 2030 to get anything additional in IOA hurts it especially if Epic causes more people to vacation and more people attending all the parks.

Universal should really re-open Sinbad, Fear Factor and the Toon Lagoon Theater. Yeah, those shows sucked but it’s better than nothing. But It would really help a lot with capacity.

But it is valid to my point that capacity in IOA is an issue. Attendance jumping by a lot yet no real additional capacity is an issue and waiting until after 2030 to get anything additional in IOA hurts it especially if Epic causes more people to vacation and more people attending all the parks.
@UniversalRBLX is the chief THRC number cruncher around here, but I'd venture a guess that the addition of Velocicoaster, King Kong and Hagrids outweighed the loss of Sinbad and Poseidon, if not in theoretical capacity than utilized capacity. The park could certainly use "more" but by the modern standard of Orlando theme parks, it's built out quite well.

Universal should really re-open Sinbad, Fear Factor and the Toon Lagoon Theater. Yeah, those shows sucked but it’s better than nothing. But It would really help a lot with capacity.
isn't this only true if people go to those shows? I could be totally wrong on this, but I was under the impression none of those were all that popular. the park could absolutely use a good show or two but I think the customer has spoken regarding mediocre entertainment offerings.

@UniversalRBLX is the chief THRC number cruncher around here, but I'd venture a guess that the addition of Velocicoaster, King Kong and Hagrids outweighed the loss of Sinbad and Poseidon, if not in theoretical capacity than utilized capacity. The park could certainly use "more" but by the modern standard of Orlando theme parks, it's built out quite well.

isn't this only true if people go to those shows? I could be totally wrong on this, but I was under the impression none of those were all that popular. the park could absolutely use a good show or two but I think the customer has spoken regarding mediocre entertainment offerings.
You also have to calculate into that DD (or I guess by then it was triwizard something?) which was really two coasters not one. So yes those 3 are more than PF and Sinbad, but when you add in DD I doubt it. It may not show in offseason, but peak seasons IOA has really long waits on almost all the rides outside of the smaller ground rides and even they sometimes have high waits.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
You also have to calculate into that DD (or I guess by then it was triwizard something?) which was really two coasters not one. So yes those 3 are more than PF and Sinbad, but when you add in DD I doubt it. It may not show in offseason, but peak seasons IOA has really long waits on almost all the rides outside of the smaller ground rides and even they sometimes have high waits.
Aren’t the Orlando parks going through an attendance downturn at the moment?

So when Epic opens next year and turns out to be a success then yeah I think adding something to IOA might be in the cards.

Does the park have any room to actually expand versus replace existing rides?

VelociCoaster (1,728) + Skull Island (1,800) + Hagrid's (1,680) = 5,208 THRC
Dueling Dragons (~1,920) and Poseidon's Fury (600-800) = 2,520-2,720 THRC

For the theaters, The Eight Voyage of Sinbad has 1.7K seats and the Toon Lagoon Amphitheatre has 2K seats... 3.7K seats sitting empty. Running 4 shows each day would result in about 14.8K in additional attraction/experience capacity for the day.

So IOA did gain capacity, and most of the newer experiences are mostly utilized. BUT, you could argue that IOA hasn't gained as much capacity overall when taking attendance gains into account.

Attendance Change: 2010 Attendance (5.9M) to 2022 Attendance (11.0M) = 85% Increase
Ride Capacity Change: 2010 Ride Capacity (22.6K THRC) to 2022 Ride Capacity (26.5K THRC) = 17% Increase (Excluded Hogwarts Express).
Total Attraction Capacity Change: 2010 Attraction Capacity (22.6K THRC) to 2022 Attraction Capacity (25.7K THRC) = 14% Increase (Toon Lagoon Theater Excluded, Ended Prior to 2010 & Excluded Hogwarts Express).

However, most significant data point to me is the "average experiences per guest per day" that ultimately determine whether or not the park has enough attraction capacity to provide enough experiences per guest:
  • In 2010, with attendance at 5.9M and total daily attraction capacity at 278K, each guest could experience about ~17.2x attractions a day. -> shows you how much Universal was struggling in the 2000s
  • In 2022 (and today), attendance at 11.0M and total daily attraction capacity at 318K, each guest can experience about ~10.5x attractions.
For reference, the other Orlando parks (split between all attraction/show capacity & C-E tickets only):
  • Magic Kingdom 11.2x (all attractions + shows) | 10.6x (C-E Tickets only)
  • Epcot 14.8x (all attractions + shows) | 9.7x (C-E Tickets only)
  • Hollywood Studios 9.3x (all attractions + shows) | 6.6x (C-E Tickets only)
  • Animal Kingdom 9.8x (all attractions + shows) | 6.6x (C-E Tickets only)
  • Universal Studios Florida 9.2x (all attractions + shows) | 7.2x (C-E Tickets only)
  • Islands of Adventure 10.5x (all attractions + shows) | 8.2x (C-E Tickets only)

In short, capacity has technically increased, but attendance has skyrocketed so much that the capacity increases aren't as impactful.

I don't think anyone is clamoring for the return of Sinbad or the previous TL shows... but Universal should certainly try at bringing back those online. A capacity increase of 15K would be much appreciated... especially during the hot and stormy Florida days.

-----------------------------------
For Additional Details:
  • VelociCoaster - 24 Seats X ~50-Sec Dispatch Interval
  • Skull Island - 60 Seats X ~120-Sec Dispatch Interval -> 66 seats prior to blocking the first row entirely
  • Hagrid's Motorbike - 14 Seats X ~30-sec Dispatch Interval -> this is in ideal operational conditions, well known how temperamental Hagrid can be.
  • Dueling Dragons* - 32 Seats X ~120-sec Dispatch Intervals (Unlike Hulk, this ran only 2 trains per track)
  • Poseidon's Fury - ~600-800 guests an hour depending on the interval they use that day between shows

*Dueling Dragons had the dual load/unload platforms which actually decreased capacity as they would have to wait for the train to clear unload and then proceed to load + only running 2 trains each.
**Well aware this excludes smaller experiences like Ollivanders, Raptor Encounter and other meet & greets. Their impact to overall park capacity is immaterial.

1717595649394.png

Not as dramatic... FL resident deals are doing wonders right now. June was still relatively busy last year... but there was a significant drop in July/August when it got hotter.

Edit: Please feel free to provide any feedback on anything here, gladly appreciate making my analysis better. Also, want to chime in that a good amount of experiences at IOA are water rides and have tall height requirements... so while capacity is on par with the other parks, certain demographics can't or don't want to experience it. IOA is a thrill-junkie's paradise... outside of that demographic it's lacking.

For the theaters, The Eight Voyage of Sinbad has 1.7K seats and the Toon Lagoon Amphitheatre has 2K seats... 3.7K seats sitting empty. Running 4 shows each day would result in about 14.8K in additional attraction/experience capacity for the day.

So IOA did gain capacity, and most of the newer experiences are mostly utilized. BUT, you could argue that IOA hasn't gained as much capacity overall when taking attendance gains into account.

Attendance Change: 2010 Attendance (5.9M) to 2022 Attendance (11.0M) = 85% Increase
Ride Capacity Change: 2010 Ride Capacity (22.6K THRC) to 2022 Ride Capacity (26.5K THRC) = 17% Increase (Excluded Hogwarts Express).
Total Attraction Capacity Change: 2010 Attraction Capacity (22.6K THRC) to 2022 Attraction Capacity (25.7K THRC) = 14% Increase (Toon Lagoon Theater Excluded, Ended Prior to 2010 & Excluded Hogwarts Express).

However, most significant data point to me is the "average experiences per guest per day" that ultimately determine whether or not the park has enough attraction capacity to provide enough experiences per guest:
  • In 2010, with attendance at 5.9M and total daily attraction capacity at 278K, each guest could experience about ~17.2x attractions a day. -> shows you how much Universal was struggling in the 2000s
  • In 2022 (and today), attendance at 11.0M and total daily attraction capacity at 318K, each guest can experience about ~10.5x attractions.
For reference, the other Orlando parks (split between all attraction/show capacity & C-E tickets only):
  • Universal Studios Florida 9.2x (all attractions + shows) | 7.2x (C-E Tickets only)
  • Islands of Adventure 10.5x (all attractions + shows) | 8.2x (C-E Tickets only)

In short, capacity has technically increased, but attendance has skyrocketed so much that the capacity increases aren't as impactful.

I don't think anyone is clamoring for the return of Sinbad or the previous TL shows... but Universal should certainly try at bringing back those online. A capacity increase of 15K would be much appreciated... especially during the hot and stormy Florida days.

For Additional Details:
  • Skull Island - 60 Seats X ~120-Sec Dispatch Interval -> 66 seats prior to blocking the first row entirely
  • Hagrid's Motorbike - 14 Seats X ~30-sec Dispatch Interval -> this is in ideal operational conditions, well known how temperamental Hagrid can be.
  • Dueling Dragons* - 32 Seats X ~120-sec Dispatch Intervals (Unlike Hulk, this ran only 2 trains per track)
  • Poseidon's Fury - ~600-800 guests an hour depending on the interval they use that day between shows

*Dueling Dragons had the dual load/unload platforms which actually decreased capacity as they would have to wait for the train to clear unload and then proceed to load + only running 2 trains each.
**Well aware this excludes smaller experiences like Ollivanders, Raptor Encounter and other meet & greets. Their impact to overall park capacity is immaterial.

View attachment 22062

Not as dramatic... FL resident deals are doing wonders right now. June was still relatively busy last year... but there was a significant drop in July/August when it got hotter.

Edit: Please feel free to provide any feedback on anything here, gladly appreciate making my analysis better. Also, want to chime in that a good amount of experiences at IOA are water rides and have tall height requirements... so while capacity is on par with the other parks, certain demographics can't or don't want to experience it. IOA is a thrill-junkie's paradise... outside of that demographic it's lacking.
I love reading all the numbers and analysis, but I only want to add, (just as you say no one is clamoring for the return of those poorly received shows,) but the last few years when I did go see the Sindbad show, only the middle bleachers were filled.

Is it really worth opening theaters when only a few hundred people are watching a show? Is the theoretical hourly throughput of one ride worth the same as a show’s full day’s worth of throughput, if that?

Not to draw comparisons between the companies and get bogged down in that mess, but Disney, for the most part, does shows better. (Or at least packs their show’s seats better.) Even Bourne, the newest, and most impressive show at the resort, has had the back section of the theater seating closed off for quite awhile now, forcing everyone to fill the first two thirds of the theater and leaving the last few rows empty.

Anyway, I’m not sure whether audiences want different things from the current UOR parks, or the quality of writing in Sindbad caused it’s reputation to speak for itself, but a few hundred people four times a day seems like a waste, and something as simple as Raptor Encounter probably sees more guests daily.

I love reading all the numbers and analysis, but I only want to add, (just as you say no one is clamoring for the return of those poorly received shows,) but the last few years when I did go see the Sindbad show, only the middle bleachers were filled.

Is it really worth opening theaters when only a few hundred people are watching a show? Is the theoretical hourly throughput of one ride worth the same as a show’s full day’s worth of throughput, if that?
100% I agree with you there, just highlighting the potential capacity improvements readily available. Depending on how many shows you run a day, you can provide the same throughput as an attraction. For example, using Festival of the Lion King at DAK:
  • Theater Capacity for 1,450 guests and they typically run 8 shows a day for a total of 11.6K guests a day, and is roughly at capacity each show. Na'Vi River Journey's daily THRC is typically 13.8K (1.1K guests an hour x 12 hours).

Not to draw comparisons between the companies and get bogged down in that mess, but Disney, for the most part, does shows better. (Or at least packs their show’s seats better.) Even Bourne, the newest, and most impressive show at the resort, has had the back section of the theater seating closed off for quite awhile now, forcing everyone to fill the first two thirds of the theater and leaving the last few rows empty.

Anyway, I’m not sure whether audiences want different things from the current UOR parks, or the quality of writing in Sindbad caused it’s reputation to speak for itself, but a few hundred people four times a day seems like a waste, and something as simple as Raptor Encounter probably sees more guests daily.
I agree, but Grinchmas does very well and signals to me that people want good entertainment at the parks... so if they can do something similar for regular daytime crowds... huge boost in capacity.

Grinchmas would run ~8 shows a day, and BMG could hold 1K guests per show... that's 8K in attraction capacity a day that IOA would benefit from.

Universal can do great shows, they just need to find the right fit that caters to all audiences.

100% I agree with you there, just highlighting the potential capacity improvements readily available. Depending on how many shows you run a day, you can provide the same throughput as an attraction. For example, using Festival of the Lion King at DAK:
  • Theater Capacity for 1,450 guests and they typically run 8 shows a day for a total of 11.6K guests a day, and is roughly at capacity each show. Na'Vi River Journey's daily THRC is typically 13.8K (1.1K guests an hour x 12 hours).

I agree, but Grinchmas does very well and signals to me that people want good entertainment at the parks... so if they can do something similar for regular daytime crowds... huge boost in capacity.

Grinchmas would run ~8 shows a day, and BMG could hold 1K guests per show... that's 8K in attraction capacity a day that IOA would benefit from.

Universal can do great shows, they just need to find the right fit that caters to all audiences.
Horror Make-Up is still going strong as well.

So when Epic opens next year and turns out to be a success then yeah I think adding something to IOA might be in the cards.

Does the park have any room to actually expand versus replace existing rides?
My point was from pre-potter to post potter, not a slight decrease after the post-covid bump has gone down. If you vacation at all on a regular basis you would actually see this everywhere. Myrtle Beach was less crowded this year than the past 2, but it is back to what it used to be prior to Covid. Same with when we travelled to Gatlinburg and being on the Dollywood FB pages it seems that park is experiencing the same thing. Crowds, but not what they had the past 2 years. Everyone wanted to travel post covid and now it is getting back to normal travel schedules where not everyone vacations yearly.

For Additional Details:

View attachment 22062

Thanks! I love all the numbers and this is really good information. The times we have gone during the peak it just seems so much longer waits for everything than it was last time we had passes. So mine was more a feeling lol

I actually think Grinchmas is a great example. Maybe we don't need year round entertainment, but more what other parks do which is special shows during the peek periods. I think this would help a ton. I agree when not peek theaters don't get filled. But those peek times are PAINFUL. Sea World I feel does this the best, but even a local park like Dollywood seems to also do this. They have special Christmas and Summer shows. We need more than just 1 show. Honestly Universals offerings over Christmas were lacking in my opinion to what I am used to at other places.

Yeah, I do not think the issue is that Universal doesn't know how to do good shows, or that guests don't appreciate shows.

In Sindbad's case, the word of mouth had to have been absolutely dreadful, and it developed a reputation as such. Bourne is less easy for me to explain, but perhaps that has something to do with its opening and promotion being muted because of the pandemic, thereby making it slightly harder for a positive reputation to quickly develop.

I actually think Grinchmas is a great example. Maybe we don't need year round entertainment, but more what other parks do which is special shows during the peek periods. I think this would help a ton. I agree when not peek theaters don't get filled. But those peek times are PAINFUL. Sea World I feel does this the best, but even a local park like Dollywood seems to also do this. They have special Christmas and Summer shows. We need more than just 1 show. Honestly Universals offerings over Christmas were lacking in my opinion to what I am used to at other places.
I think IOA "feels busier" because the two best attractions at the park are an automatic 60+ minute wait. Forbidden Journey rarely sees hour long waits nowadays (usually at 30 minutes, and becomes a near walk-on most of the morning and afternoon).

IOA just needs non-water, non-thrill rides that can entertain the majority of all demographics. That's the last ingredient needed here to perfect the park.

Yeah, I do not think the issue is that Universal doesn't know how to do good shows, or that guests don't appreciate shows.

In Sindbad's case, the word of mouth had to have been absolutely dreadful, and it developed a reputation as such. Bourne is less easy for me to explain, but perhaps that has something to do with its opening and promotion being muted because of the pandemic, thereby making it slightly harder for a positive reputation to quickly develop.
Sinbad (and Poseidon) were just poorly written and not worth the time when there are far more worthy attractions to choose from. Especially, when the bulk of UOR guests have park to park tickets, most guests would have rather chosen a better show at USF. I think the issue with Bourne is that it's not very repeatable, even with how great the stage tech is.

I can guarantee if you put WaterWorld at IOA, it'll draw capacity crowds. There's demand, heck even Indiana Jones still packs each showtime even with the show's quality reduced.

With that said, with UOR wanting to extend trip durations... IOA is a full day park for thrill-seekers, but for everyone else who isn't interested in water rides or thrills... you can maybe do the park in 2h