The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
what exactly makes you think they can't rework these backstage facilites and rework access roads? IOA needs as much expansion as it can get so I definitely can see Comcast putting up extra cash to open up the area for LC. The Wonka concept was supposed to have a Soarin'-esque Glass Elevator ride, a POTC-esque boat ride and a parachute drop within the LC area. This would likely mean they'd have to use some of the backstage area. Not to mention that the backstage part looked as used as the plot by Thunder Falls.

There's options for First Aid and other facilities to be relocated in order to make Lost Continent a 3 attraction land again. Plus a flat ride along with converting PF to a boat ride wouldn't take up too much extra space to begin with so the interference would be minor

I dont think you realize the implications of what youre proposing. There is very little wasted space backstage...packing up everything behind LC and re-planting it is easier said than done, because theres already a place for everything with few places to add onto.

Furthermore, as the resort grows, so will the infrastructure, meaning they will need to increase the capacity of backstage as it is. To move everything on top of that wouldnt make much sense.

Its not going to happen. Everything backstage has a specific place and not much room to move around. They arent going to mess with it when they have plenty of space to work with by simply replacing whats already there.

With all the rumors about Lord of the Rings being purchased for theme park use... I think lost Continent would be perfect and the property is based in fiction like the rest of the park.

Lord of the rings definitely seems like a third gate thing. With a plot that little you'd want to expand and you just can't. That and the fact that it's potter next to lord of the rings. Too much fantasy

what exactly makes you think they can't rework these backstage facilites and rework access roads? IOA needs as much expansion as it can get so I definitely can see Comcast putting up extra cash to open up the area for LC. The Wonka concept was supposed to have a Soarin'-esque Glass Elevator ride, a POTC-esque boat ride and a parachute drop within the LC area. This would likely mean they'd have to use some of the backstage area. Not to mention that the backstage part looked as used as the plot by Thunder Falls.

There's options for First Aid and other facilities to be relocated in order to make Lost Continent a 3 attraction land again. Plus a flat ride along with converting PF to a boat ride wouldn't take up too much extra space to begin with so the interference would be minor

I don't know if you've ever been backstage at Universal, but it's not as open as you seem to think it is.
If it looks empty on a satellite image, or you happen to catch a glimpse of an open lot backstage while you're in the park, chances are, its not empty anymore or won't be the next day.

Reactions: TylerDurden
Backstage at uni is crazy hectic, they need all the space they can get. I have a buddy who works somewhere (not going to get her fired) and she says it's tight and filled with people. They also use backstage areas to house extra props for rides in case one breaks like the one fish two fish arms. Uni isn't blessed with underground backstage like Disney, you work with what you got so taking down a backstage area is a no go

Backstage at uni is crazy hectic, they need all the space they can get. I have a buddy who works somewhere (not going to get her fired) and she says it's tight and filled with people. They also use backstage areas to house extra props for rides in case one breaks like the one fish two fish arms. Uni isn't blessed with underground backstage like Disney, you work with what you got so taking down a backstage area is a no go

Good points. But the underground tunnels at Disney are not as big as the rumors, and they are only in MK. But on the topic of space remember that Disney World is like 40,000 acres (mostly unused) and Universal Orlando is more like 1,000 acres (mostly used).

Since it was brought up earlier I did want to point out that the expansion plots are basically used as what I call 'bone-yards' (just a place to put stuff), but the space behind LC is actively used to maintain the parks.

Good points. But the underground tunnels at Disney are not as big as the rumors, and they are only in MK. But on the topic of space remember that Disney World is like 40,000 acres (mostly unused) and Universal Orlando is more like 1,000 acres (mostly used).

Since it was brought up earlier I did want to point out that the expansion plots are basically used as what I call 'bone-yards' (just a place to put stuff), but the space behind LC is actively used to maintain the parks.

Totally, that backstage isn't going anywhere, the space of LC is the only space we got

We're so far into the hypothetical here. But I do want to say with certainty that the majority of the structures backstage, such as B-114 behind Poseidon's Fury, are "barebones" structures that were not expensive to build were not designed to be permanent. Some of these buildings are just a grade above a mobile home. Everything thats not on the outskirts of the property (e.g. the Executive building) could be moved around for future expansion, perhaps with the exception of the central kitchen and some other essential facilities.

It was a smart move to put the new Employee parking garage on the Western outer limits of the property. At face value, this makes no sense (it's far away from the employee entry gate, necessitating a walk across a parking lot in the hot sun)... but makes total sense in the big picture -- if USF were to expand it could expand West of Earthquake and into the current employee surface lot. Huge expansion. Wardrobe would have to be relocated or possibly eliminated if all employees are required to take their uniforms home.

Again, all conjecture, but fun to think about.

What would be really cool is if Lost Continent were to be re-themed to Prometheus- I mean, it could pretty easily be worked into all the existing infrastructure. Imagine going into what is now Poseidon's Fury, with slight modifications to turn it into a more Alien-esque temple, where archaeologists have found the entrance underground (kinda like in Alien vs. Predator, but less cheesy). Then, David greets the guests, and becomes essentially the Poseidon's Fury "tour guide" only without emotions, reading and translating ancient writings on the wall, before losing contact with the rest of the archaeological team, then messing with the random Alien buttons to make the door open. In the next room, filled with ovomorphs (egg things) in the corners, David does some other intelligent things, including somehow interacting with the doorway, upon noticing that the ovomorphs are starting to open; he manages to get it open, and then people proceed through a water tunnel before arriving in the final room. Then, finding the controls to what is then discovered to be an observatory/command center, David activates it, causing the lights to go out while it "activates" and while the wall rises to reveal the projection of all of the planets, as well as showing plans of somehow attacking Earth, which have then been re-activated, so then (of course) David has to somehow prevent this from happening. I know that'll never actually happen, but it's fun to imagine :shrug:

What would be really cool is if Lost Continent were to be re-themed to Prometheus- I mean, it could pretty easily be worked into all the existing infrastructure. Imagine going into what is now Poseidon's Fury, with slight modifications to turn it into a more Alien-esque temple, where archaeologists have found the entrance underground (kinda like in Alien vs. Predator, but less cheesy). Then, David greets the guests, and becomes essentially the Poseidon's Fury "tour guide" only without emotions, reading and translating ancient writings on the wall, before losing contact with the rest of the archaeological team, then messing with the random Alien buttons to make the door open. In the next room, filled with ovomorphs (egg things) in the corners, David does some other intelligent things, including somehow interacting with the doorway, upon noticing that the ovomorphs are starting to open; he manages to get it open, and then people proceed through a water tunnel before arriving in the final room. Then, finding the controls to what is then discovered to be an observatory/command center, David activates it, causing the lights to go out while it "activates" and while the wall rises to reveal the projection of all of the planets, as well as showing plans of somehow attacking Earth, which have then been re-activated, so then (of course) David has to somehow prevent this from happening. I know that'll never actually happen, but it's fun to imagine :shrug:

This is actually a neat concept

I say go back to the rumors from a while back...Expand Seuss. Utilize the existing structures of Poseidon's Fury and Sinbad to house some type of dark ride or indoor rollercoaster. I personally thought the original rumor of a Grinch rollercoaster themed to Mount Crumpit was a great idea.

I say go back to the rumors from a while back...Expand Seuss. Utilize the existing structures of Poseidon's Fury and Sinbad to house some type of dark ride or indoor rollercoaster. I personally thought the original rumor of a Grinch rollercoaster themed to Mount Crumpit was a great idea.
I definitely agree with this, posiedon is big enough for mount crumpet and it would definitely be more if not as beautiful as the facade we have now. Grinch needs to happen, also maybe a lorax ride could take over sinbad or something

Sinbad could be a Seussical show and year round locale for Grinchmas, Grinch goes where PF is, with another flat ride potentially squeezed in?

Seuss needs an E-ticket, another family dark ride and a decent year round show. Solve all three with one egg :)

Move One Fish to Sneetch Beach, give Cat a massive refurb, and make Seuss Trolley all ages somehow (completely enclosed trolleys?)- the island can compete with Fantasyland somewhat

Sinbad could be a Seussical show and year round locale for Grinchmas, Grinch goes where PF is, with another flat ride potentially squeezed in?

Seuss needs an E-ticket, another family dark ride and a decent year round show. Solve all three with one egg :)

Move One Fish to Sneetch Beach, give Cat a massive refurb, and make Seuss Trolley all ages somehow (completely enclosed trolleys?)- the island can compete with Fantasyland somewhat
In my opinion it's better than fantasy land but I agree with pretty much everything you said besides seusical. That show was pretty terrible. I'd be much better as a lorax ride. I also don't get the want to move one fish to the beach, you wouldn't be able to hear anything because of that loud hulk

In my opinion it's better than fantasy land but I agree with pretty much everything you said besides seusical. That show was pretty terrible. I'd be much better as a lorax ride. I also don't get the want to move one fish to the beach, you wouldn't be able to hear anything because of that loud hulk

OK, you are a Uni Fanboy if you think Suessland is better than Fantasy land. Too many things kids can't go on because of height restriction and other things adults don't want to go on because it is boring. I mean you have the below:

Trolley (Anyone under 40" can't go and anyone over 40" don't want to go)
Cat in the Hat (Have to be able to sit up, hold the bar, etc and they took out the spinning so adults don't have as much fun)
1 Fish 2 Fish... I will give you this one is better than Dumbo, but in the end it is a spinner
Carousel.. It is a Carousel, my daughter likes it no more or no less than the one in fantasy land

Now lets go thru fantasy land

It's a small world
Peter Pan
Carousel
Mickey Philharmonic (Sp?)
Little Mermaid
Pooh
Tea Cups

You have 4 dark rides (vs cat in the hat) and in this case no restrictions on any of them
A "thrill" ride for the kiddies with tea cups (and they actually spin with no restrictions, meaning hand held infants can go on)
A theater show that is a people eater (which suess has none making lines longer)
And a Carousel

Now if you include the circus, which you should since it was part of new FL you get dual spinners (1 fish 2 fish..) and a kiddie coaster (which suess has nothing like this).

Then if you add in the new coaster and M&G experiences like Belle, it is just no contest. I can't believe anyone really truly believes that Suess is better than Fantasy land. I mean Uni does a lot of things better than Disney, but that is not one of them.