The Future of PortAventura | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of PortAventura

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know that this doesn't really mean anything, but during the opening event for the Uncharted ride, David Garcia, current director of the park, when asked about which IP he would like to see next coming to the park, he said 'Harry Potter' and gave a wink to the camera, it happens around the second 50 of this video:

I know that this doesn't really mean anything, but during the opening event for the Uncharted ride, David Garcia, current director of the park, when asked about which IP he would like to see next coming to the park, he said 'Harry Potter' and gave a wink to the camera, it happens around the second 50 of this video:

Technically they could probably do a deal with WB for Potter rights as long as they don’t do “rides.” The same way WB has built multiple Potter themed experience tours, or even the NY store—which may have pushed what exactly constitutes a “ride” with their VR experience.

If that’s the case, no need to work with Universal.

Reactions: MikePat
If it looks like a horse, sounds like a horse and smells like a horse... it sure won't be a minivan.

Why dont you, instead of shooting us down, look up where Mark Woodbury and his team were on the week of June 21st?

Last edited:

No

Technically they could probably do a deal with WB for Potter rights as long as they don’t do “rides.” The same way WB has built multiple Potter themed experience tours, or even the NY store—which may have pushed what exactly constitutes a “ride” with their VR experience.

If that’s the case, no need to work with Universal.
While we don't know much about what will be included in Warner Bros Wold Abu Dhabi, it seems like rights for a Potter experience "could" could be negotiated for parks outside of Universal.

A Harry Potter-themed land is coming to Warner Bros. World Abu Dhabi

Last edited:
If it looks like a horse, sounds like a horse and smells like a horse... it sure won't be a minivan.

Why dont you, instead of shooting us down, look up where Mark Woodbury and his team were on the week of June 21st?
Out of pure genuine curiosity—has anyone outside of you specifically said of Woodbury visiting the area as of June 21st? Feels like a grasp without proof to back up a claim like that.

Double-posting as I mean no offense to @Anonymous Citizen, but there is more than enough of a reason for people like Alicia, Cygnus, and in this case myself; to directly say that the "proof" that you bring, does not mean a thing as it is only one image and a potential testimonial.

Even when I was talking with @pablo_es (who was really nice and I hope he is right); I had enough to prove at that time that nothing was of the sort. It was them reupping their licensing for select elements and characters, and not of the matter of acquisition to property in that region. That even goes for spanish trademark filings, unable to find anything of the sort regarding on Universal filing directly in name.

Now, with that said--there are a few elements initially that made me thinking (oh yeah, this is probably happening). The merchandising and the land zoning being two unique ones in that, but since their initial claims; nothing has been updated (and those who originally reported have fizzled out).

At this point in time, I have no reason to believe what you have. The logo you have looks nice, but it is just that--a logo. One that could be easily fan made, if given to the proper people. And I hope if you have more to share, that you do so.

Reactions: mccgavin
This park needs a new operator. If it’s not Universal, then so hope it’s someone else.

It’s so gorgeous, but the operations are without question the worst of any theme park in the world. It’s genuinely laughable.

Reactions: Murcianico
Epic Universe costs about $1b, so $1.6b~ purchase price + debt for a park that's probably much less profitable seems like a tall order. Think Universal sits this one out unless it's really confident it can grow those numbers with its IP.

extremely off. I also think Comcast is in an...unique position, especially as they are about to get a big ass payout thanks to a certain share that they are gonna try to sell.

Would be a bold choice, but I am curious if they'd want to play ball like this.

EU number wildly off.
Went off a quick google search, so I believe it. Point is though, PA seems expensive, they'd probably need to spend more to unlock its full potential, and they're already building one massive park and have other parks they have to tend to. Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but idk, just feels like if they really saw an opportunity they would've bought it already.

Went off a quick google search, so I believe it. Point is though, PA seems expensive, they'd probably need to spend more to unlock its full potential, and they're already building one massive park and have other parks they have to tend to. Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but idk, just feels like if they really saw an opportunity they would've bought it already.
All they would need to do is put a Hogsmeade in there and the park would become super popular in the region. The question is, what is the cap on how big it can get and is the money you'd spend worth it or would this just be another DLP situation? UOR benefits a lot from European travel, although Spain is far enough south Europe that I don't think it would hurt them in any significant way.

PortAventura is a whole resort, not just a park, it has several hotels and a waterpark too, the price seems just about right