The Future of PortAventura | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of PortAventura

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You accuse us being smug when we've just been matching your energy. And now it's not even myself alone. A lot of people in the european community, specially those from Spain, have been let down by your attitudes towards this. It has become a well known meme at this point, of which I am sure you are aware of it.
Alright, I’ve had enough. Everytime you come back this starts up.

And I have seen these. It is interesting that for you, tone comes from the one person “who has become a meme” and not a large group of people bulling her on the internet.

No one is discounting Spain. Not really sure why this turned into a Spain vs US policy discussion. We all want Universal to enter the European market (especially since all of the “proof” could point to that.)

If you do not like that Twitter agrees with you, and some others on the forum don’t, may I interest you in Twitter until something is formally announced?

We weren't mad because she didnt side with our info, but because you added nothing of value to the conversation. You can dismiss our information all you want, but at least try to contrast it. If this turns out to be true, which it is, your reputation in Europe will already be damaged.

So we either start having this conversation (and you start treating this with the respect it deserves) or I feel you won't feel welcome when visiting our resort.

How old are we? What the hell is this becoming? I've made one comment. ONE! That I agree with Alicia since she covered the bases. I didn't know I needed to write a thesis and dig my heels into a "battle"

This is a theme park discussion board about theme parks. I literally just posted this:

If Universal buys it? Great. We were wrong and Universal has added an international park to their lineup. If Universal doesn't? Oh well. They have other stuff in line.

What I put respect into are things that matter in life; like my kid, my sick dog, my sick grandmother. GTFO here with this stupid non-sense. You're literally holding that I disagree about a potential theme park buyout over my head on which side of the aisle I stand on?

Get some f'n perspective.

The dismissal of the information made public by reputable european insiders, even without showing a minimal effort in contrasting such intel, has been a constant this last months.
I tend to share reasons for my cautious approach to this rumor. Responses like the one below are me attempting to contrast and converse. It’s often met with hostility. So I will simply stop replying. I’ll be excited when we get an announcement. But I’m not here to believe one thing or another without definitive proof or better evidence that cannot be construed as multiple interpretations.
And even with this latest development, I remain cautious with my assessment, because protecting one’s patents in a country does not necessarily mean they intend to use it.

This particular patent was also registered in another country not too long ago “just in case” they decided to build there, but nothing came of it there. So, no matter how good things may look, you never know until it’s announced.

That is a balls out level energy that I am genuinely dumb-founded on and shocked (and yeah, agreeing with @Scott W. in that I am surprised people are just glossing over this).

I always assumed UK is a non-starter due to almost every single attempt at a high scale themed project happening as of this past decade in that country for one reason or another getting blocked (hell, the London Sphere just got blocked). Makes me curious to *where* in the UK are they looking at, and who they are working alongside to keep that quiet.
Never would I have guessed UK was an option. It’s so stacked with parks already. But it you’re gonna compete for that market share, Velocicoaster type ride would help.

Reactions: Alicia
My point was to say it’s for VelociCoaster. I didn’t comment on anything else. I know who Gregory Hall is. And he happened to have been the person who designed the VelociCoaster trains.

Thought it may be interesting to speculate on whether or not VelociCoaster might be coming to Spain.

I don’t appreciate the tone. I was not attempting to downplay this development.
I am sorry for the tone, it just felt like "I am going to deliberately leave out the other part of the tweet", but its true you didn't.

Never would I have guessed UK was an option. It’s so stacked with parks already. But it you’re gonna compete for that market share, Velocicoaster type ride would help.

I have to think if they are looking at the UK as an actual option--then the only option you go for is to go balls out to be the "Modern Theme Park" experience that competes against the likes of Alton Towers.

UK has it's pot already in with "Thrill" parks like Thorpe Park, Flamingo Land, and Blackpool--and family parks with stuff like LEGOland Windsor and Drayton Manor. But a full scale theme park? Nah the only one that comes close is Alton. On the plus side, not only they'd have the potential to bring in rides like Velocicoaster to the region, but fully themed lands based off of IP like Mario, Pokemon, JW, and Minions.

Reactions: Nico
I am sorry for the tone, it just felt like "I am going to deliberately leave out the other part of the tweet", but its true you didn't.
Yea my intent was to add context as to what the patent itself was for, as I find that it being for VelociCoaster interesting and worth adding to the conversation.

I ‘liked’ your original post, and had already retweeted and commented on the tweet. As I obviously find this tease by Gregory fascinating.

The UK market is ass. UK park fans suffer from Stockholm syndrome. The UK's biggest offering is a bunch of half built protypes and insane height liimit/NIMBY problem

Let's not pretend Uni has any real competition in this matter, a UC built real theme park resort to the same standard as Epic Universe would destroy Merlin's monopoly and resign their parks to what they are: low quality regional parks.
I think whats also being overlooked is a UK (or for that matter any other European country) would have a captive audience for the whole of Western Europe with most places being a few hours plane ride away from, just like Orlando is for the East Coast.

The ironic thing is, if this was the case, Merlin have finally got its act together into actually investing in their crappy parks

I tend to share reasons for my cautious approach to this rumor. Responses like the one below are me attempting to contrast and converse. It’s often met with hostility. So I will simply stop replying. I’ll be excited when we get an announcement. But I’m not here to believe one thing or another without definitive proof or better evidence that cannot be construed as multiple interpretations.
I really appreciate you being cautious, as it shows you are trustworthy and really good at your job. Every piece of info I post is also heavily contrasted, just like yours, and has passed thru many checks to verify its authenticity.
Even then, when this many rumours have come true, maybe it's time to delve a bit further into them. The american community has access to resources we don't, so a collaboration between communities could prove to be equally benefitial.

In this case, we already know how trademarks and patents work, specially in the EU context. We know it doesn't prove anything on itself, but its context is really telling. And now, even somebody from Universal Creative has started teasing.

I mean, you’re proving mine and other’s points about your attitude so go off I suppose if it helps you sleep at night Idk.

Also, I already said we were matching the energy. Respect has to be mutual, not one-sided.

Edit: By the way, I feel like the post above shows just how casually some people over here put down other countries, even if done with no harm in mind.

Last edited:
I really appreciate you being cautious, as it shows you are trustworthy and really good at your job. Every piece of info I post is also heavily contrasted, just like yours, and has passed thru many checks to verify its authenticity.
Even then, when this many rumours have come true, maybe it's time to delve a bit further into them. The american community has access to resources we don't, so a collaboration between communities could prove to be equally benefitial.

In this case, we already know how trademarks and patents work, specially in the EU context. We know it doesn't prove anything on itself, but its context is really telling. And now, even somebody from Universal Creative has started teasing.

Also, I already said we were matching the energy. Respect has to be mutual, not one-sided.
I will say this, I have heard of some very good evidence for the possibility Universal buying PortAventura in just the last couple weeks. I haven’t seen anyone share it yet, but it caused me pause.

I’m still following this rumor. And it has legs. But it has also been going on for over a year, so I’m not quick to get too excited over each development because not everything is definitive proof of a final sale, just moreso hinting at the possibility of one down the line.

But I’ve been burned before, and not everything Universal plans actually happens.

Yea my intent was to add context as to what the patent itself was for, as I find that it being for VelociCoaster interesting and worth adding to the conversation.

I ‘liked’ your original post, and had already retweeted and commented on the tweet. As I obviously find this tease by Gregory fascinating.
Yeah, while my fellow countryman around here seems to be going off the rails, I am going to try and give context to some of what he is saying, that goes without trying to justify in any way his attitude.

I know you guys dont know the european market, at least in regards to insiders and who is trustworthy and who doesnt.

Ally, @aalllllyyyyyy in twitter, is a well known source of Disneyland Paris information, has inside information and shares as much as he can, some weeks ago he said that Universal was approaching DLP employees to work at an European park, while replying the news of PortAventura being for sale.

Then Parque a Parque, @deparqueaparque in twitter, is also a well known source in regards to PortAventura, they are quite new in the scene, but in the last few months they have been spot on with their information, proving that they also have some kind of insider knowledge, and they shared the news of the new COO of PortAventura coming from DLP, while saying that Universal was the one buying PortAventura, they recently have been a bit cryptic but said that pretty much the buyout was a done deal, just pending the official signature and press release.

I do believe those are, at least, some of the reasons why Cooper is so confident in the spanish universal park, and why you should look into what those insiders say.

Obviously dont expect the source of their information, as nobody would share that, but at least look at the previous things they shared well before it was confirmed and made official by both parks before you can decide if you label them as baseless rumors or want to look further into them

Edit: By the way, I feel like the post above shows just how casually some people put down other countries, even if done with no harm in mind.

I'm telling you now. Cut it out. That's not how it's gonna work. If anyone else gives any attitude in retort, they'll get the same warning.

And Tommy is from the UK so he's not putting down "other countries".

I do believe those are, at least, some of the reasons why Cooper is so confident in the spanish universal park, and why you should look into what those insiders say.

Obviously dont expect the source of their information, as nobody would share that, but at least look at the previous things they shared well before it was confirmed and made official by both parks before you can decide if you label them as baseless rumors or want to look further into them
I think this is where wires are getting crossed.

It seems you're taking our opposite stance as more antagonistic to your intel, which isn't the case. Just stating what we know on our side. As I stated before - if it happens cool, if not, also cool. No skin off our back.

Whereas it seems y'all are a bit more heavily invested.

I'm telling you now. Cut it out. That's not how it's gonna work. If anyone else gives any attitude in retort, they'll get the same warning.

It seems you're taking our opposite stance as more antagonistic to your intel, which isn't the case. Just stating what we know on our side. As I stated before - if it happens cool, if not, also cool. No skin off our back.

Just for the sake of clarity and only that: I have family from Spain, most of which are still currently living in Madrid. I am not in any way/shape/form coming at an entire country sideways.

I think you are mixing me with Cooper, I was just sharing the European side of the informations here, not taking a side in this pointless battle

Not only is it stacked for parks but there's now a new barrier for entry with it being not part of the EU and with the unstable political situation. I'd be surprised to see ground-up build in the UK without some level of government subsidy.

Ron+Burgundy.png

Not antagonistic, it's just that sometimes it comes across as people talking down on us with info we already know and have contrasted.

Also, even if he's from the UK, I feel like the person who originally posted the comment deserves more respect than to be told he and his peers have stockholm syndrome