The Hat Coming Down | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

The Hat Coming Down

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With everything closed its going to be a 2-hour line for any of the overwhelming selection of 4 rides. :bonk:

If you do FP+ right at the park, you can hit the big rides with little problem. FP+ for TOT and TSMM (TOT is tier 2) and Single Rider on RNRC. Use the last FP+ on either Star Tours or GMR, then either wait for the other if you want to do it, or go to a kiosk and try to get a FP for the ride using the rolling FP system.

All of the heavy hitters could easily be knocked out in 2 hours easy. If you want to see any shows it'll add to your time in the park certainly, but if you follow what I outlined above, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get every single "ride" in the park done quickly.

So DHS is changing from a half-day park to a 2 hour park?

By getting rid of the Backlot Tour? I dont think so. I can (and have) spend an entire day at Hollywood Studios and not feel bored, and I doubt that losing those low-key attractions (let's be honest, did you guys really ride these anyway) will change that. Besides, it's a necessary evil if they want to turn the park around and quiet all the complaints.

Well there's really no other way to completely re-do this park without closing a bunch of things first, so yeah, pretty much. Hopefully in the long run, it will be worth it. At this point though, I wouldn't even both with the park.

Probably what needs to be done to get the biggest impact as they completely rethink the image of the park.

By getting rid of the Backlot Tour? I dont think so. I can (and have) spend an entire day at Hollywood Studios and not feel bored, and I doubt that losing those low-key attractions (let's be honest, did you guys really ride these anyway) will change that. Besides, it's a necessary evil if they want to turn the park around and quiet all the complaints.

It's not just one attraction, it's a few of the people-eaters and the areas around them that are going to be closed at the same time.

I know most people will probably see your comment and laugh, but there is precedent of Disney doing this. During the DCA redo, Disney did lower prices for at least part of the re-do time when things were really bad and before much had opened. And at the point of the DCA redo, they had more to do.

That'd be nice. Haven't been before (heck, only WDW park I've been to is Epcot that was in the 90s) and do want to go for ToT, RNR, Star Wars, Indy, Muppets, Toy Story...maybe GMR. but I'd rather not pay $100 for a 1 day ticket just for 4 rides and a couple of shows.

The hat looks ridiculous in pictures. Knock it down.

The only reason I go to MGM anymore is for tot, st and muppets. I could honestly care less about toy story and rockin roller coaster. I need more bang for my buck, give it to me Disney on a silver platter :drool:

Lots of rumors on the Magic boards yesterday...apparantly "Cars, Stars, and Toys" are indeed in the future. Construction to begin soon, likely after the holiday. Lots of other changes coming to the park too.

Lots of rumors on the Magic boards yesterday...apparantly "Cars, Stars, and Toys" are indeed in the future. Construction to begin soon, likely after the holiday. Lots of other changes coming to the park too.
Pretty much what we've known is coming. Star Wars and Pixar have been the most rumored things for DHS.

What I thought was interesting was that spirit said he'd say 95% we aren't getting RSR, but an original Cars D/E. He mentioned it'd be with a completely different ride system, but I feel like, while it will be original, it will mostly be an expanded version of the indoor portion of RSR as has been rumored.

- - - Updated - - -

what does "stars" portend?
Star Wars

Backlot Tour was a huge pepole eater...so the closing will definitely affect lines.

I didn't even know people still did the Backlot Tour. Did they still show the Golden Girls house and props from 90's movies like Con-Air?

I didn't even know people still did the Backlot Tour. Did they still show the Golden Girls house and props from 90's movies like Con-Air?

The "neighborhood" was chopped out to make space for the car stunt show, so they just made driving by that part of the "behind the scenes" tour.

Backlot Tour isn't the only thing they've shut down, they also closed American Idol, and I think the Jack Sparrow thing is going or is gone. Hasn't the AFI exhibit closed too? (I actually really enjoyed that the last time I went to DHS). I feel like there was little to do there before, now there is almost nothing, and if you don't get FP+ for TSMM, you might as well not even bother with this park.

They had removed the GG house awhile back, which was my favorite part of the tour.

Backlot Tour isn't the only thing they've shut down, they also closed American Idol, and I think the Jack Sparrow thing is going or is gone. Hasn't the AFI exhibit closed too? (I actually really enjoyed that the last time I went to DHS). I feel like there was little to do there before, now there is almost nothing, and if you don't get FP+ for TSMM, you might as well not even bother with this park.

Eh, my visits to this park usually only consist of a ride on TOT and RNRC. Star Tours 2, also, since the waits are usually low. TSMM, without a FastPass, forget it.