The Hat Coming Down | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Hat Coming Down

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I remember there was a rumor that the Muppets would be included in the ride, and that they would basically replace the actors in all the scenes you see now.

haha. That would be just a bit too werid and too much to fill the entire rides with Muppets Replacing the characters of these classics.

What it sure does sound like was the original planning for The Great Muppets Movie Ride where Jim Hansen himself even talked about it being a dark ride based on more movie making than going into the experiences. You would have scenes and departments of muppets explaining different aspects of the movie making process "with advice that no one should take." Sounded like a cute concept. Mind you this was the resort going into the 90s where Disney also officially announced that an EPCOT version of the Matterhorn was coming to a new Swizz Pavilion in the world showcase among many other things that did not happen.

haha. That would be just a bit too werid and too much to fill the entire rides with Muppets Replacing the characters of these classics.

What it sure does sound like was the original planning for The Great Muppets Movie Ride where Jim Hansen himself even talked about it being a dark ride based on more movie making than going into the experiences. You would have scenes and departments of muppets explaining different aspects of the movie making process "with advice that no one should take." Sounded like a cute concept. Mind you this was the resort going into the 90s where Disney also officially announced that an EPCOT version of the Matterhorn was coming to a new Swizz Pavilion in the world showcase among many other things that did not happen.

I would personally love to see them do The Great Muppet Movie Ride. I think it would be an amazing alternative to GMR if one gets bored of it. I don't think it's possible to get bored of GMR, though.

Yeah, I mean, I don't see what kind of additions you're going to make to this ride without it becoming incredibly contrived and awful. There is absolutely no movie that has been made recently that deserves to have a scene added to the ride. Go ahead, try and name something.

I definitely don't think the ride should ever venture from representing the Golden Age of Hollywood. There are plenty of attractions based on recent and new releases. It's refreshing to actually slow down and listen to some great dialogue from Casablanca as opposed to EXPLOSIONS and one-liner soundbites.

In fact, if anything I would like the ride to incorporate even more old-school Hollywood scenes. I think a ride-through history of film - beginning with the silent era like Chaplin; into "talkies" starting with the Jazz Singer; into screwball comedies and musicals of the 30's/40's; through the film noir era of Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity and the Bogart films like Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre; through the classic early days of fast-talking, dialogue-heavy stories; into the expansion of color and epic screen-scape Westerns brought on by the competition of the home television boom; through the revolution of Method acting with young Marlon Brando and James Dean; a glimpse of the grittier adult dramas like the Godfathers and Chinatown of the 70's; and end the ride beginning with Raiders to represent the modern blockbuster age......... That's along the lines I would personally like to see. Give the kids a timelined history of film before they go back to their Transformers blurays....... I'll be sad if this ride ventures from the classics.

Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King

The Dark Knight

Titanic

Gladiator

Napolean Dynamite.....OK just joking with that one.

Dark Knight's not gonna go in because of rights-issues and as much as I love it, I don't know if it's on par with what's in the ride right now.

LOTR is old news.

And Titanic and Gladiator are way overrated.

I definitely don't think the ride should ever venture from representing the Golden Age of Hollywood. There are plenty of attractions based on recent and new releases. It's refreshing to actually slow down and listen to some great dialogue from Casablanca as opposed to EXPLOSIONS and one-liner soundbites.

In fact, if anything I would like the ride to incorporate even more old-school Hollywood scenes. I think a ride-through history of film - beginning with the silent era like Chaplin; into "talkies" starting with the Jazz Singer; into screwball comedies and musicals of the 30's/40's; through the film noir era of Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity and the Bogart films like Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre; through the classic early days of fast-talking, dialogue-heavy stories; into the expansion of color and epic screen-scape Westerns brought on by the competition of the home television boom; through the revolution of Method acting with young Marlon Brando and James Dean; a glimpse of the grittier adult dramas like the Godfathers and Chinatown of the 70's; and end the ride beginning with Raiders to represent the modern blockbuster age......... That's along the lines I would personally like to see. Give the kids a timelined history of film before they go back to their Transformers blurays....... I'll be sad if this ride ventures from the classics.

Agreed 100%.

I think Rewster nailed it. The ride already contains the classics of each genere we have seen repeated time and time again. Most scenes with a few exceptions of Indy, Tarzen and Aliens are sort of a mash up of different movies. What I mean is more like The Gangster scene and the western scene are both compiled of many classics of that genere. The scenes represent a history through the most popular themes in hollywood and references films that have done them best. The spirit of the 40s is strongly all over that attraction and that feel is important to Disney's Hollywood studios.

The ride needs touch ups and plussing of the experience through effects people come to expect and beyond that. Not the scenes represented.

As annoying as the hat is, there are many other problems with the park. I'd rather see money spent on boasting the park's offering rather than removing the hat.

I love the Chinese theater, the hat is cool in its own right especially if you look at it the way Disney was looking at it, trying to make the park more Disneyish, but the hat should go, and original icon should be restored.

I love the Chinese theater, the hat is cool in its own right especially if you look at it the way Disney was looking at it, trying to make the park more Disneyish, but the hat should go, and original icon should be restored.

I think the hat does get a little too much hate. It salutes a huge piece of Disney movie magic.