The Hat Coming Down | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Hat Coming Down

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I always liked the water tower being the icon. But I guess it's out of date now. The signature ride of the park was the backlot tour where the tower could be seen but I guess they've both run their courses.

The reason the tower can't logically be moved to another location is because it wouldn't make sense to be anywhere else. Water towers are always on backlots. It's like the famous WB water tower in their backlot in Hollywood. You can't put the DHS tower in front of the Great Movie Ride or something like that.

The reason the tower can't logically be moved to another location is because it wouldn't make sense to be anywhere else. Water towers are always on backlots. It's like the famous WB water tower in their backlot in Hollywood. You can't put the DHS tower in front of the Great Movie Ride or something like that.

Right because, while water towers remain traditionally in backlots, giant gaudy pointless hats are the logical choice to place in the center of DHS entirely blocking the guest's view of the Chinese Theater as they enter. Give me a break. The Hat is like an eyebooger: useless, gross, and an eye pain. Personally, I don't like eye boogers. The Hat needs to go.

I would hate to see the theater become the icon because I do not think that it is not really related to Disney. It is also not original like the castle, EPCOT Ball, and Tree of Life. If anything they should change the theater to something like DCA where the theater has great significance to Walt Disney.

I would hate to see the theater become the icon because I do not think that it is not really related to Disney. It is also not original like the castle, EPCOT Ball, and Tree of Life. If anything they should change the theater to something like DCA where the theater has great significance to Walt Disney.

If anything I think the theater is more appropriate an icon now with the name-switch HOLLYWOOD Studios than it ever has been, but I too would rather not have the theater. But look at the Parks and their icons: Magic Kingdom has a castle, Animal Kingdom has the Tree of Life, Epcot has Spaceship Earth, and DHS has a... big ugly hat? The rest of the icons make sense when paired with their respective parks. DHS has no correlation with it's icon at all and I've had a problem with that from day one. It only makes things worse that DHS has the only icon not housing anything significant. Who needs a ride, show, or upscale restaurant when you can trade pins?

Didn't the hat start as some kind of kiosk for a bunch of computerized triva games about the history of Disney?
i think it was i think the hat was put in 2000 when the wand was up at EPCOT.

as for everything else webslinger did bring a good point about the name change with the hat. the hat doesn't fit with the name of the park now IF the great movie ride wasn't there then the hat could have that spot but that will never ever happen. the theater is the best icon and it fit the hollywood theme. i like yeti's idea about the theater that they are doing at DCA but it can't go in that area. i say just give great movie ride major rehab and that will do just fit fine. but since it is suppose to be a studio they could
A. somehow make the tower somehow to stand more but not an eyesore.
B. get the tower involved with park have concerts and etc over there

I think we can all agree that the hat was a marketing decision over anything else, right?

Now here's something to think about. If the hat WERE to leave, could there be possible changes to the Chinese Theatre? Disney doesn't own the rights to the Chinese Theatre outside of whatever agreement they have that allows the current building to be there. Apparently, PhotoPass is not allowed to take pictures of guests in front of the Chinese Theatre and sell them.

So some food for thought, if the Sorceror's Hat were to leave, would Disney possibly redesign the theatre which would allow them to market it as the new icon of the park? Imagine a beautiful and elaborate exterior for the theatre.

The Great Movie Ride was originally built as the Featured Presentation and Main Event of Disney-MGM Studios and it's only a matter of time before it receives its overhaul. Imagine when it goes down for rehab they turn the Theatre into their own original design. I picture it as elegant as the Chinese Theatre, but something totally original that they could own the full rights to and do with it what they would like. Chinese Theatre or make believe theatre, I think they could/should work to make the outside of the feel like a premiere party. How hard would it be to roll out a red carpet when weather permits?

If the hat were to be removed, would you want to look down the road and see the Chinese Theatre, or would a similar but more elaborate, original theatre work just as well?

Right because, while water towers remain traditionally in backlots, giant gaudy pointless hats are the logical choice to place in the center of DHS entirely blocking the guest's view of the Chinese Theater as they enter. Give me a break. The Hat is like an eyebooger: useless, gross, and an eye pain. Personally, I don't like eye boogers. The Hat needs to go.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying the hat isn't a poor icon for the park. I'm just explaining why you can't move the water tower to a different spot so that it's a suitable icon.

Back to the original topic, does anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor? Like, what did the Imagineers say exactly to suggest that the hat's coming down?

Last edited:
Back to the original topic, does anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor? Like, what did the Imagineers say exactly to suggest that the hat's coming down?
A lot of it was simply how they acted whenever the Hat was shown. For example, they were showing the slides and something like this happened...

"This was actually an idea that we had from... blah blah blah. Details. Details. Details."
*Next slide*
"Ah yes, this is the concept art for.... blah blah blah. Detail. Details. Details."
*Next slide, repeat all of the above.*
**THEN, slide of the Hat come on the screen.**
"Next."

Apparently they were talking about all the neat concept art, but when the slide came on the Imagineers laughed and quickly moved to the next slide. Also, when showing the original look and Chinese Theatre they said it is a view they hope to see again soon.

A lot of it was simply how they acted whenever the Hat was shown. For example, they were showing the slides and something like this happened...

"This was actually an idea that we had from... blah blah blah. Details. Details. Details."
*Next slide*
"Ah yes, this is the concept art for.... blah blah blah. Detail. Details. Details."
*Next slide, repeat all of the above.*
**THEN, slide of the Hat come on the screen.**
"Next."

Apparently they were talking about all the neat concept art, but when the slide came on the Imagineers laughed and quickly moved to the next slide. Also, when showing the original look and Chinese Theatre they said it is a view they hope to see again soon.

Oh okay, so they actually said they hoped to see it again soon. I hope they weren't just getting everyone's hopes up.

I'm definitely a Disney purist, but even I don't hate the hat. It's more so I hate the location.
I totally agree. Had the hat been the original weenie in the park, people would be up in arms if it was blocked by something else. Personally, I don't care for the placement of the hat, but the hat itself is cool. As I've said before, stick it on top of one of the soundstage buildings. You'll be able to see it all over the park and outside of the park.

RIP IT DOWN!!!! lol its almost as bad a the darn wand they had on the epcot ball I think the park will look better without it

The hat seems more Disney than the theater. The Chinese theater is the generic Hollywood icon. The hat is the magic of Disney movies.

I agree.

I think that the reason why most people dislike it is simply because of the placement. It's like the hat and the theater are trying to one up each other and it's just tacky.

I agree.

I think that the reason why most people dislike it is simply because of the placement. It's like the hat and the theater are trying to one up each other and it's just tacky.

Exactly what I was thinking. Right icon, wrong place. It also doesn't help that it's a glorified pin stand.