The Iron Man Experience (HKDL) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Iron Man Experience (HKDL)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't really care about big ride entrances. Who would've thought one of the best rides in the world would be behind the 2D Spider-Man cut-out entrance?

Also, take Mermaid at MK for example. The exterior is gorgeous, the queue is elaborate, the ride sucks. Which do you prefer?

It's nothing more than Star-k Tours. No new in-cabin effects like Stormrider. It's Star Tours.

And it's lazy.

Even so....how easy do you think it is to make a simulator ride film? It's a process that requires a lot of talent and creativity.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really care about big ride entrances. Who would've thought one of the best rides in the world would be behind the 2D Spider-Man cut-out entrance?

Also, take Mermaid at MK for example. The exterior is gorgeous, the queue is elaborate, the ride sucks. Which do you prefer?

Another really good point--even though in reality it's very Worlds Fair-like..not stunning but true to the idea of Stark Expo

Okay? And using an antiquated ride system for a ride based on a genius inventor is lazy and boring.

Yeah I can't believe with all the new tech and great rides out there that they're still going with a ride system similar to Star Tours. Especially when they have a ride like Mystic Manor there.

I really don't see why they couldn't have created a stunning facade with a ride to match when they did it just on the other side of the park. Twice.

Okay? And using an antiquated ride system for a ride based on a genius inventor is lazy and boring.

What should they have used instead? Test Track tech? A trackless system? EMV's? None of those really fit the theme or Iron Man. I'm pretty sure Universal has a patent on Spider-Man and HP technology so that wouldn't have worked, and even if that's not the case, space is a huge issue in Hong Kong. Sometimes simple is better. Star Tours simulators are good at emulating flight while projecting action around you. I'm not sure what else would have been better in your opinion.

Mine train roller coasters have been around since the '60's...should we write off the new JP ride then? Trains have been around since the 1800's...should we also criticize HE for not being an innovative simulator? An exaggeration, I know, but you get the point. The ride system doesn't always make the ride, and the latest and greatest doesn't always fit a storyline. The point is, an Iron Man ride is coming, how cool is that in its own right?

As to the facade, I think it looks really neat and I'm pretty sure the general public will too.

Bottom line, not every ride has to FJ or Spiderman or Indy or Mystic Manor. So it's pretty ridiculous to write off everything that isn't.

What should they have used instead? Test Track tech? A trackless system? EMV's? None of those really fit the theme or Iron Man. I'm pretty sure Universal has a patent on Spider-Man and HP technology so that wouldn't have worked, and even if that's not the case, space is a huge issue in Hong Kong. Sometimes simple is better. Star Tours simulators are good at emulating flight while projecting action around you. I'm not sure what else would have been better in your opinion.

Mine train roller coasters have been around since the '60's...should we write off the new JP ride then? Trains have been around since the 1800's...should we also criticize HE for not being an innovative simulator? An exaggeration, I know, but you get the point. The ride system doesn't always make the ride, and the latest and greatest doesn't always fit a storyline. The point is, an Iron Man ride is coming, how cool is that in its own right?

As to the facade, I think it looks really neat and I'm pretty sure the general public will too.

Bottom line, not every ride has to FJ or Spiderman or Indy or Mystic Manor. So it's pretty ridiculous to write off everything that isn't.

When you're dealing with a property as huge as Iron Man... yeah, it really should be on the level of FJ or Spider-Man. Also, there are 4 or 5 different variants on the Spider-Man ride system used throughout the world (not by Uni). So that definitely was an option.

Or, you know, they could've put some innovation forward and come up with something cool.

And Iron Man is all about the latest and greatest. So why wouldn't that fit the storyline?

The mine car for JP is a C-D level attraction as a supplement to an E ticket already in place. This isn't a supplement to another attraction, it IS the attraction. And the HE example is absolutely ridiculous. We're talking about a method of transportation that is a recreation of something huge, using innovative technology. THAT is something where the only way to replicate it is through using an actual train. What are they going to do? A suspended coaster to simulate a train? :bonk:

They could've done ANYTHING with Iron Man. Rip-off Spider-Man, suspended coaster with crazy effects, new ride system. Anything. But it appears that they chose Star Tours.

Last edited:
STOP THE PRESSES!!!! Please.....I don't post here much but had to jump in this conversation before it got de-railed. From good sources this ride will not be Star Tours 2. The Imaginers have worked very hard on this project and the finished product will be well worth it! Again not ST 2.0 think more of Star Tours and Spiderman and Mystic Manner had a baby.

Even so....how easy do you think it is to make a simulator ride film? It's a process that requires a lot of talent and creativity.

I disagree...it's basically a regular 3D film that is made with motion in mind...I'm guessing the budget for this is pretty small.

Agreed with the others, Tony Stark was always about the newest technology, and Disney USED TO be...ironic that they're going with what basically amounts to 25 year old technology for this.

Also, I'm really wondering how they'll theme this...is Tony Stark opening up a lab tour or something? Perhaps making it a renewed Stark Expo would be the best theme, and add a lot more smaller exhibits with it.

When you're dealing with a property as huge as Iron Man... yeah, it really should be on the level of FJ or Spider-Man. Also, there are 4 or 5 different variants on the Spider-Man ride system used throughout the world (not by Uni). So that definitely was an option.

Or, you know, they could've put some innovation forward and come up with something cool.

And Iron Man is all about the latest and greatest. So why wouldn't that fit the storyline?

First of all, HKDL has major space constraints to worry about--we don't even know if anything else would've been feasible given the land. But let's say this is Roller Coaster Tycoon and there's no issues about money space, or general business tactics whatsoever. What do we have here?

-You need Iron Man to fly. What simulates flying that's NOT a Kuka arm? Soarin'? Seems boring. Come up with something new? Really, what would be a feasible and practical way to simulate the fast-paced flight of Iron Man? You could build a flying roller coaster a la Superman at Six Flags, but then everyone would complain about a big steel roller coaster in the way of everything. There's really no way to practically simulate flying, you've pretty much seen all they can do with Peter Pan and E.T.--the logistics of fast flight in a theme park ride are pretty tough. That leaves you with...a simulator.

-You need stuff to be happening around you. Iron Man doesn't just fly around, he fights bad guys. How do you bring that to guests? 10000 animatronics? It's impossible to make animatronics move in a way that would be satisfactory to a comic book ride. That pretty much leaves you with...yeah, 3-D.

I hear a lot of complaints but no realistic suggestions as to how it could've been any better. Also, the argument that an Iron Man ride should be high-tech is kind of bogus, because the whole idea of a theme park ride is to hide the mechanisms that actually make it, well, a theme park ride. So who cares how low-tech the system is, that's not what the ride will be advertising.

Really, I don't see a better alternative. Even if Disney could design a knock-off of Spiderman, what would the ride vehicle be? How does being on the ground the entire time do justice to Iron Man? It makes you a passive role in the storyline. And as to an FJ variant...I think 'magic bench' is the best they will ever do for a ride of that type.

It's funny that Disney gets criticized for not pushing forward...maybe it's because the second they release a concept, it gets beaten to death. I'd be hesitant to develop anything too!

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree...it's basically a regular 3D film that is made with motion in mind...I'm guessing the budget for this is pretty small.

A small budget doesn't take away from the talent involved in making a 3-D film all from one continuously moving perspective with the perception of it being one continuous shot. I can't do that, I'm personally not talented enough. Can you?

Even if Disney could design a knock-off of Spiderman, what would the ride vehicle be? How does being on the ground the entire time do justice to Iron Man?

You're right because you're on the ground the entire time in Transformers and Spider-ma-Oh wait.

And as to an FJ variant...I think 'magic bench' is the best they will ever do for a ride of that type.

Suspended Kuka arms with riders faced like they're flying.

First of all, HKDL has major space constraints to worry about--we don't even know if anything else would've been feasible given the land. But let's say this is Roller Coaster Tycoon and there's no issues about money space, or general business tactics whatsoever. What do we have here?

-You need Iron Man to fly. What simulates flying that's NOT a Kuka arm? Soarin'? Seems boring. Come up with something new? Really, what would be a feasible and practical way to simulate the fast-paced flight of Iron Man? You could build a flying roller coaster a la Superman at Six Flags, but then everyone would complain about a big steel roller coaster in the way of everything. There's really no way to practically simulate flying, you've pretty much seen all they can do with Peter Pan and E.T.--the logistics of fast flight in a theme park ride are pretty tough. That leaves you with...a simulator.

-You need stuff to be happening around you. Iron Man doesn't just fly around, he fights bad guys. How do you bring that to guests? 10000 animatronics? It's impossible to make animatronics move in a way that would be satisfactory to a comic book ride. That pretty much leaves you with...yeah, 3-D.

I hear a lot of complaints but no realistic suggestions as to how it could've been any better. Also, the argument that an Iron Man ride should be high-tech is kind of bogus, because the whole idea of a theme park ride is to hide the mechanisms that actually make it, well, a theme park ride. So who cares how low-tech the system is, that's not what the ride will be advertising.

Really, I don't see a better alternative. Even if Disney could design a knock-off of Spiderman, what would the ride vehicle be? How does being on the ground the entire time do justice to Iron Man? It makes you a passive role in the storyline. And as to an FJ variant...I think 'magic bench' is the best they will ever do for a ride of that type.

It's funny that Disney gets criticized for not pushing forward...maybe it's because the second they release a concept, it gets beaten to death. I'd be hesitant to develop anything too!

- - - Updated - - -

A small budget doesn't take away from the talent involved in making a 3-D film all from one continuously moving perspective with the perception of it being one continuous shot. I can't do that, I'm personally not talented enough. Can you?

Because we stay on the ground the entire time in Spider-Man and TF right? :lol: We spend over a third of those rides in the air. And as for your "passive" argument about the Spider-Man ride system... how are you not just as passive in a simulator? At least in the SM system you're in the open air and moving in and out of sets. Why can't that SM simulator be "hovering" and "flying" around? Saying that a giant ST simulator is the only way to simulate flight is ridiculous. You can simulate flight a lot of different way. Or make a combination element. JUST putting it in a beefed up Star Speeder (which, true, we don't know for sure that's what they're doing) would be lazy. And just because one of US can't give you a precise detailed description of what else we could do, doesn't mean nothing else could be done. These people do this for a living, for cash money, and spend years on projects. They've got time to develop crazy stuff. It's up to the company to implement it. And right now it looks like the company said "Well, they don't have ST, let's just slap some IM on a simulator because it did gangbusters in China."

IF this is a variant ST 2.0, then there is no apologist reasoning behind it.

Last edited:
You're right because you're on the ground the entire time in Transformers and Spider-ma-Oh wait.

Suspended Kuka arms with riders faced like they're flying.

the vast majority of the time is spent at ground-level, which is not the story Disney wanted to tell. I mean now we are pointing out semantics...this is a strong argument :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Because we stay on the ground the entire time in Spider-Man and TF right? :lol: Saying that a giant ST simulator is the only way to simulate flight is ridiculous. You can simulate flight a lot of different way. Or make a combination element. JUST putting it in a beefed up Star Speeder (which, true, we don't know for sure that's what they're doing) would be lazy. And just because one of US can't give you a precise detailed description of what else we could do, doesn't mean nothing else could be done. These people do this for a living, for cash money, and spend years on projects. They've got time to develop crazy stuff. It's up to the company to implement it. And right now it looks like the company said "Well, they don't have ST, let's just slap some IM on a simulator because it did gangbusters in China."

IF this is a variant ST 2.0, then there is no apologist reasoning behind it.

Doesn't matter how much you get paid...some things are impossible to simulate.

The ride system does not make the ride...the story makes the ride.

the vast majority of the time is spent at ground-level, which is not the story Disney wanted to tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't matter how much you get paid...some things are impossible to simulate.

The ride system does not make the ride...the story makes the ride.

By that logic I could sit you in a room and tell you a great story and that'd be a great ride.

And for the record, we're not against simulators. But that specific simulator style is old news and lazy.

Like I said, if you used the SM system, why couldn't you be "hovering" and "flying" the entire time? Come up with some super cool sets to hover and fly through.

Last edited:
By that logic I could sit you in a room and tell you a great story and that'd be a great ride.

It's a combination. Great story/great ride experience.

It's pretty neat how you know it's not a great ride experience despite not having ridden it yet.

Should I assume that the JP mine roller coaster will be exactly like BTMRR because they're both mine rides, then?

the vast majority of the time is spent at ground-level, which is not the story Disney wanted to tell. I mean now we are pointing out semantics...this is a strong argument :lol:

As usual, you were too busy being obtuse to see the point, which is that said ride system can easily be used to simulate flying while also being a dark ride.

It's pretty neat how you know it's not a great ride experience despite not having ridden it yet.

Should I assume that the JP mine roller coaster will be exactly like BTMRR because they're both mine rides, then?

No, BTMRR will be better because it's BTMRR :lol:

I'm not saying it's a bad ride experience. I'm saying IF they use ST 2.0, then that's lazy.

As usual, you were too busy being obtuse to see the point, which is that said ride system can easily be used to simulate flying while also being a dark ride.

It's irrelevant anyway because even if they did manage to knock off Universal's patented ride system (like the "incredible" Curse of DarKastle ride...) how would that solve any complaints? That technology isn't new either...it's almost 15 years old. So that completely negates your argument. I appreciate the personal slide though.