The Magic, the Memories, and You! | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

The Magic, the Memories, and You!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What did you think?

• Awesome. They did it perfectly.

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Pretty good. I'd change it a bit, but I like it.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Meh. I don't care.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • It's okay, but I kinda wish they hadn't.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • No. Just . . . no.

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
I saw the show in person today. I must say, that the effects and stuff are awesome. It looks incredibly real, and the music is just the touch that you'd expect from Disney World. However, on the down side, the whole picture concept had a bit of downfall. Some of the pictures were very blurry, and you could not even tell if it were you on the castle. Though the videos and stuff all were clear, and the special effects were jaw dropping. Good Job, Disney.

I am going to MK with a group on March 5th and they really want to see the show. Wishes starts at 8 pm. So this show will be shown at 7:40 right? Is it shown every night or just on select nights throughout the week? The reason I am asking is because I don't see the show on the calendar or on the times guide on the WDW website.

Tech: Awesome

Show: Awful. Plain awful.

Hopefully this marketing campaign only lasts a year, and with the new projectors we can ditch Wishes and get a new fireworks show that utilizes this tech.

The show is great, what are you guys talking about? There are scenes which can be excluded, yes, but for the most part it captures the Disney spirit in a new and innovative way. It's a great way to keep the waiting guests entertained and it certainly gives those "Disney chills", especially with the nostalgic scene and the finale with the projected fireworks turning into real ones (A+ effect). Like I said, there are parts that do need to be fixed; some of the pictures should be more crisp and larger, and the way the pictures are presented as well as how they appear/disappear (i.e. the transitions) need to be heavily edited. I really can't find anything else wrong. IMO, the show deserves an A.

The building mapping projection tech is really very cool, but under utilized in this show. I saw a phenomenal show that uses the tech in a way that SO TOTALLY blows this show out of the water. And had fantastic music to boot. Roger Waters: The Wall 2010 makes this little castle show look really lame.

I saw the show for the first time last saturday and it was amazing! I was amazed by the tech. As a preshow to Wishes, it is perfect. I saw the show with my brother who never shows emotions when he watches anything and his jaw dropped when he saw it. The finale was awesome. The projected fireworks trailing off into real ones is an awesome effect. Hopefully they can use this tech in Wishes one day.

I saw the show for the first time last saturday and it was amazing! I was amazed by the tech. As a preshow to Wishes, it is perfect. I saw the show with my brother who never shows emotions when he watches anything and his jaw dropped when he saw it. The finale was awesome. The projected fireworks trailing off into real ones is an awesome effect. Hopefully they can use this tech in Wishes one day.

They do a little bit, but not as exaggerated. During the part where the red shots are flying up and it's playing the Fantasmic movie, the castle is blue and it has white stars and a moon to look like the sorcerer hat like at Hollywood Studios. And I recall some ghosts flying on it during the evil queen part... but they are using some effects.

I was very pleasantly surprised at this show, I really didn't like the idea to begin with but now I've seen it in person I've changed my mind. The projections were amazing, and even though we were too far away to see the actual pictures we thought it was a great preshow to Wishes.

Not to spur any controversy, but hasn't Universal had this technology ever since Universal 360 started in 2006? I don't believe Universal's projectors are HD though...

Not to spur any controversy, but hasn't Universal had this technology ever since Universal 360 started in 2006? I don't believe Universal's projectors are HD though...

I don't think it's the projections that's the new technology that Disney is getting credited for, it's there use of it on Cinderella's castle, which has never been done like this before.
Projections aren't new, they just haven't been so greatly expressed and been exaggerated into a full length show. But Disney deserves the credit for doing so.

What seperates the technology used in this show compared with the technology, for example, behind the opening ceremony for TOT at DLP is that the structure was mapped fully and its architectural elements are used with the actual animations. Also, in Universal 360, the show simply uses two projectors and an inflatable globe on which to project them (x4 obviously), so the show elements aren't enough to wow, really. Universal is in need of a good nighttime spectacular.

Right, it is the mapping technology that is new. The projectors are just HD DLP projectors. The most impressive use of the mapping tech that I have seen was Roger Waters: The Wall 2010/2011 Tour. His projections blows Disney's out of the water.

What seperates the technology used in this show compared with the technology, for example, behind the opening ceremony for TOT at DLP is that the structure was mapped fully and its architectural elements are used with the actual animations. Also, in Universal 360, the show simply uses two projectors and an inflatable globe on which to project them (x4 obviously), so the show elements aren't enough to wow, really. Universal is in need of a good nighttime spectacular.
Not what I was talking about..their are projections on the wall during the show...but i understand where you were going...

Just saw this show for the first time last night and I quite enjoyed it. While I agree some of the music was a little underwhelming for me the projections and images themselves were very cool.

Loved every aspect of the show. Hope that we see more, with the original team who worked on it. Loved ever min of it, have seen it many times now