The Marvels | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Marvels

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, I have to think Blue Marvel will be brought in for this movie, right?
I would hope so, kinda looks like the MCU is trying to create a cosmic Avengers team. I could see this being loosely inspired by A-force in that Captain Marvel recruits a team of mostly women to help her out.

So, we have another delay. We're on our fourth release date now with this movie. It was my least hyped MCU thing of the year (including TV, especially now that only Loki and Secret Invasion are airing this year), but supposedly it's another movie that's not testing well and is going to go into reshoots soon.

It was smart to move as Marvel has had success in November and it was going to have to give up Premium screens quickly to Barbie and Oppenheimer, but hopefully they're able to fix it because if the MCU isn't able to right the ship over the next few years and then the James Gunn DCU turns out to be really good, then idk how much longer I can stay on a sinking ship.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I mean cool if the film is good

if it’s just moving it back just because then whatever but if they are making the-effects and strengthening the story great

I mean cool if the film is good

if it’s just moving it back just because then whatever but if they are making the-effects and strengthening the story great
I think part of it may also be like I said to avoid the summer box office season and to also allow Secret Invasion it's own time to shine since it connects in with this. I don't have a ton of confidence in the MCU anymore though to deliver a quality product so i'm skeptical this means bad things.

As long as it doesn't cannibalize Wish.
It opens two weeks prior and MCU films are notoriously front-loaded so Wish should be fine. Disney needs to figure out how to get people back to theaters for their animated movies which is a separate thing.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I think the big story here is that Disney is apparently no longer confident they can bully other studios into vacating prime spots and exhibition into giving them the best screens and showtimes by just putting a Marvel movie there. That's brand damage, babyyyyyy.

I think the big story here is that Disney is apparently no longer confident they can bully other studios into vacating prime spots and exhibition into giving them the best screens and showtimes by just putting a Marvel movie there. That's brand damage, babyyyyyy.
The summer movie season is always chock full of blockbusters. The MCU has a lot of issues right now, but you're just making things up to hate on here. For instance, has anyone dared to take the first Friday in May timeframe, which is the ultimate Marvel staple release spot? No. When that happens, let me know and i'll agree they've got issues.

The summer movie season is always chock full of blockbusters. The MCU has a lot of issues right now, but you're just making things up to hate on here. For instance, has anyone dared to take the first Friday in May timeframe, which is the ultimate Marvel staple release spot? No. When that happens, let me know and i'll agree they've got issues.

Not hating, just stating a fact. Disney knows they have the best IP and franchises in the business and they use that to secure better terms from exhibitors, like guaranteed runs, more showtimes, better splits, etc. The MCU has also staked a July date for years, they're not supposed to be afraid of other movies. Thor Love and Thunder released in the heart of July and no one dared open a blockbuster afterwards. Its only competition for premium formats was Minions the week before, a different demo.

I think it's telling that this year, when they had a sequel to a billion dollar movie and were faced with a Nolan movie the week before and a Mission Impossible movie the week before that, they were the ones that chose to blink.

Not hating, just stating a fact. Disney knows they have the best IP and franchises in the business and they use that to secure better terms from exhibitors, like guaranteed runs, more showtimes, better splits, etc. The MCU has also staked a July date for years, they're not supposed to be afraid of other movies. Thor Love and Thunder released in the heart of July and no one dared open a blockbuster afterwards. Its only competition for premium formats was Minions the week before, a different demo.

I think it's telling that this year, when they had a sequel to a billion dollar movie and were faced with a Nolan movie the week before and a Mission Impossible movie the week before that, they were the ones that chose to blink.
It's not that no one dared open a movie after it, it's that there was no movies to open. The next big movie after Love & Thunder was freaking Wakanda Forever. There was an insane shortage of movies late last summer/fall.

And Disney has never had a specific date in July that they have, they've opened a Marvel movie almost every Friday of the month. Personally, looking at the quality of Marvel content lately, i'm going to bet this is about The Marvels not being ready to go and needing reshoots more than it being scared to go against Barbie and Oppenheimer. The MCU audience doesn't crossover a ton with the audience for those two movies.

I'm not here to defend the MCU because they've got a hell of a lot of issues in simply putting out a good product right now. You're just making something out of nothing and your whole point gets lost when you look at Quantumania in theaters right now with no competition in sight.

Looks fun. I see Nia's eye for blocking in some of the shots, which is already a huge improvement over some of the other Marvel movies.
Wait the shots were the issue in Antman, thor...etc

I thought it was the story and tone are what most people are bored of

Having a light and fun tone isn't a problem, otherwise people would've hated Dungeons and Dragons. I have no clue if the story is worth a damn but showing an actual understanding of how to place your camera and tell a joke visually (Monica Rambeau flying through the vastness of space? Pretty funny!) already makes it an improvement over the visual goop of something like Antman or Black Widow.

Having a light and fun tone isn't a problem, otherwise people would've hated Dungeons and Dragons. I have no clue if the story is worth a damn but showing an actual understanding of how to place your camera and tell a joke visually (Monica Rambeau flying through the vastness of space? Pretty funny!) already makes it an improvement over the visual goop of something like Antman or Black Widow.
I honestly feel like people pick and choose when they like fun films

No one saw Shazaam but its a fun film and the camera work was great.

But if people give this film a thumbs up but would have loved Antman if it had better camera work makes me laugh, to me its the scripts that are the major issues.

Reactions: Jake S
it seems when a marvel movie is panned (at least by fans), it's because The Script Stinks Out Loud — even if people aren't quite able to put words to that feeling.

Looks okay, but i'm still worried given all we've heard about the quality of the movie. Also, it is nice to have some actual real world locations to visit in this movie and use Nick Fury as a guide to sort of figuring out what's going on. However, this seems to only be a little slightly less of a CGI-fest than Ant Man 3 so the script will have to be engaging.

My optimism is that Ms. Marvel was done great in her show and her family was as well so I think she fits this tone perfectly and Carol has sort of always been a bit on the quippy side, but they made her unlikable in how they were doing it before so hopefully they do better here. Monica doesn't have too much MCU background so they can sort of mold her character to be whatever they want it to be.

it seems when a marvel movie is panned (at least by fans), it's because The Script Stinks Out Loud — even if people aren't quite able to put words to that feeling.
Ant-Man 3 was super hollow. When an Ant-Man movie is now a "world is ending" movie, they've lost the plot. Ant-Man's place is in being a comedic palate cleanser which Rudd wasn't allowed to really do much at all in Quantumania and the loss of T.I., Michael Pena, and that whole dynamic with Scott was greatly felt in this recent film.

^^^ 100% this.

Most of the problems are due to the script being tonally jarring and having what I've refer to as "mandatory fun" jammed into every corner of an otherwise dry script.

^^^ 100% this.

Most of the problems are due to the script being tonally jarring and having what I've refer to as "mandatory fun" jammed into every corner of an otherwise dry script.
right. basically, someone writes the plot and then they bring it into a writers' room to "punch it up." in this case, that means "add a bunch of jokes." I love big studios!

Reactions: Grabnar
I don't know, I think this looks very "TV movie"ish to me. At this point (I know it's just a teaser), not seeing any of the strong visual style the director brought to CANDYMAN.

I honestly feel like people pick and choose when they like fun films

No one saw Shazaam but its a fun film and the camera work was great.

But if people give this film a thumbs up but would have loved Antman if it had better camera work makes me laugh, to me its the scripts that are the major issues.
Sure, that's still the big unknown that could sink this movie. I don't mean to say the writing doesn't matter. Still though, isn't it nice when it feels like there's thought behind the visuals in one of these, and that they aren't figuring out half the shots in post?

Reactions: Jerroddragon