The Marvels | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

The Marvels

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
RDJ was a fallen star but my dad knew who he was and that's why he even watched Ironman

Evans and Hemsworth were in films people saw or liked. Evans was in Scoot Pilgram and Not Another Teen movie (cult classics) and Hemsworth was in Star Trek reboot which was huge

Holland was in Spider man...so yeah those films print money no matter who stars in them.

The films also had Jeff Bridges in them, Ironman 2 Villain was a big actor, Thor had Anthony Hopkins and so on.....Look at the Marvels. Besides Bre Larson and Jackson the star power isn't there.

I'm also not saying its the whole thing but a part of it, they need to do a few things to get back to the old MCU

Come on. You're contradicting yourself.

RDJ was not in any way a movie star by the time Ironman came out. He was a liability, and casting him to lead the project was seen as a massive risk. The fact that your dad knew who he was does not make him a relevant star at the time of his debut.

Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth were not household names when their respective franchises debuted, period. This is not debatable. Anthony Hopkins was added to give the project a little class and boost of legitimacy, yes, which is common in films with unproven stars (see: The Hunger Games and Donald Sutherland, as well as Jeff Bridges in the original Ironman).

Tom Holland was not a name. He was made a star by becoming Spider-Man.

Brie Larson is still a movie star and Oscar winner, no matter how much misogynistic corners of the internet hate her. Samuel L. Jackson is a legendary actor and plays a beloved, familiar Marvel character.

Lack of starpower has not been the problem with any of the most recent Marvel projects. Quantumania threw in Bill Murray and gave Michelle Pfeiffer significantly more screentime. They recast Cassie with a more well-known actor, Kathryn Newton.

I think she's moreso speaking to the crowds of hate mongers who spend hours upon hours spewing hatred for these films than people who objectively just want them to be better and be amazing again like they believe they once were.

It's one thing to want something to be better, it's another to plunk yourself down in a field of unhappiness for no reason other than hating things makes you feel good or justified (those who listen and chirp in, those who actually lead only do it because of the monetization that hate and divisiveness gets these days).

I just don't get that crowd at all, tbh. Why entrench yourself in something you vehemently don't enjoy? If comic book movies have failed to whet your appetite for movies in the past half decade, why do you keep watching them?

I get what you mean but I feel like until recently, marvel had a pretty general positive reception and culturally it was regarded positively. to the point that if anyone disliked a marvel project ( before avengers end game) you kind of got backlash as a hater, and negative opinions about marvel were always kind of frowned upon.

I just feel like the marvel hate just increased after end game and became much vocal lately.
but I never saw marvel as an entity that listened to negative feedback in the past. which is what I disagree with her on that interview. not the fan base.
and yes the negativity is reaching toxic levels now, yeah now it's getting really toxic. it's kind of a sign of the times.

Explain to me what Thor: Love and Thunder was though if that’s not a clear example of a director/writer taking a project and just doing whatever the hell the feel like with it.

Again, studio intervention in the MCU is NOT a bad thing as long as the main purpose is quality control like it was during the infinity saga.

I said sometimes it works

I never said it always will, James Gunn made a SS movie that no one watched....and sure it was after the pandemic but even after it was on HBO never got much attention

MCU needs
1) A Plan for the story and characters
2) Find Directors who like said plan and would like to do a movie for X character and add their style to the film so it has personalty
3) Stop introducing characters/plots unless they directly tie into a film/TV coming out in the next 2 years
4) Listen to feedback, they have had very good feedback from fans since Phase 4...and have no listened at all until after the Marvels.
5) Hire some bigger actors, I'm sorry but you need some star Power or find up and coming actors that could break out better. Besides really Kate Bishop Actress, none of the other younger actors are in anything that is drawing young people and you don't have any older actors drawing in older people. It sucks but it's also part of the issue is the star power.

is there any truth that Disney had a marvel panel that oversee the movies that got disbanded in 2015 or something?
was the marvel committee a real thing?