The Marvels | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

The Marvels

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"I think a lot of things. I think not necessarily within Marvel 0 I think Marvel is very good about, they know where they go wrong, and they know how to fix it. It takes time to get there. I would like to see improvement within the fandom. I think people need to be a little more positive. These fandoms, the whole point of them is so that people who are passionate about these nerdy things, they can talk about it without being judged and can share their excitement with the only other people in the entire world who will reciprocate."
"So, it would just be like Marvel, they're growing and they're adjusting to the times, they're listening and responding to the fans' criticisms and feedback. So I think people just need to be a little patient, and let them cook. I think keep the fandom positive in the meantime, share what you are enjoying."
"Don't force-feed doom postings to everyone, because it's a lot to handle. Already the world is so going through a lot, Hollywood's going through a lot, Marvel's going through a lot. So it's just sad when fans throw wet blankets on anyone who's just trying to share their passion, their excitement, and love for these movies. At the end of the day, it's the movies that are made for people to escape real life, not the making of the movies. Who cares about how these movies are made? There's so many horror stories. Have you even read what happened on 'Wizard of Oz'? Just like, people, live your life, and then when you're ready for a little break, go see 'The Marvels.'"

I might get hate for this but while, yes share what you like. I think it's just as important to tell the MCU what you dislike or hate.

The Marvels is once again a fine 6/7 out film but we are used to Winter Solider, Infinity War, Civil War, Ironman, Ragnorok, and so on that when you see it go from these films feel like passion movies for fans to.....who the heck is this for? There is an issue and while I doubt we get a Miss Marvel season 2 now....I hope she gets a MCU special before the next Avengers film because I do love the character and think the actress is doing well as her.

Nothing wrong about what she is saying, and I definitely get that she personally has a lot riding on the film succeeding. I wish her all the best, as I've not heard anything bad about her in any of her projects.

Buuuuuuut, yeah. The MCU is in a bad spot and I think it's worth talking about given how big the franchise is and how these failures will cause downturn effects for the rest of Disney and Hollywood in general.

Reactions: Jerroddragon

I might get hate for this but while, yes share what you like. I think it's just as important to tell the MCU what you dislike or hate.

The Marvels is once again a fine 6/7 out film but we are used to Winter Solider, Infinity War, Civil War, Ironman, Ragnorok, and so on that when you see it go from these films feel like passion movies for fans to.....who the heck is this for? There is an issue and while I doubt we get a Miss Marvel season 2 now....I hope she gets a MCU special before the next Avengers film because I do love the character and think the actress is doing well as her.
'

(So, it would just be like Marvel, they're growing and they're adjusting to the times, they're listening and responding to the fans' criticisms and feedback.)

but do they? i dont know. if you dislike anything marvel on twitter, it becomes this huge drama. rejecting anything negative. (even from the actors and writers) always been that way. any little criticism of marvel becomes this drama

I think she's moreso speaking to the crowds of hate mongers who spend hours upon hours spewing hatred for these films than people who objectively just want them to be better and be amazing again like they believe they once were.

It's one thing to want something to be better, it's another to plunk yourself down in a field of unhappiness for no reason other than hating things makes you feel good or justified (those who listen and chirp in, those who actually lead only do it because of the monetization that hate and divisiveness gets these days).

I just don't get that crowd at all, tbh. Why entrench yourself in something you vehemently don't enjoy? If comic book movies have failed to whet your appetite for movies in the past half decade, why do you keep watching them?

I think she's moreso speaking to the crowds of hate mongers who spend hours upon hours spewing hatred for these films than people who objectively just want them to be better and be amazing again like they believe they once were.

It's one thing to want something to be better, it's another to plunk yourself down in a field of unhappiness for no reason other than hating things makes you feel good or justified (those who listen and chirp in, those who actually lead only do it because of the monetization that hate and divisiveness gets these days).

I just don't get that crowd at all, tbh. Why entrench yourself in something you vehemently don't enjoy? If comic book movies have failed to whet your appetite for movies in the past half decade, why do you keep watching them?
Part of it I think is because if this films aren't making money and no one is seeing them then why not just make them for core Comic Book Fans again

I have no issue with adding more voices to the space but......if no one is interested in those voices then go back to the fans who want to support you but don't want to support the current films.

My example of what people who want to change Star Wars and MCU, is like if I started telling sports companies how to get me more interested and risk losing the core fans you already have,

Look at taikaor Rian Johnson comments about their SW films both think/want to piss off the Star Wars community.....why? Like why even make something that you know will just piss off fans...and then no one see's it and you say the audience is wrong

But honestly, I don't care who plays X character or which characters are used as long as the film is interesting/well done then who cares? But many of these newer Marvel films feature the first "X" super hero and then don't do well or aren't talked about after which makes many think adding more women or minority are the issue when it's not, its the story telling and film makers failing the MCU right now, not the actors

Reactions: Ahmanet
I dunno man, the very weird ownership hardcore fans feel over Star Wars, which has always been exceptionally popular with Regular People, is my least favorite thing about Star Wars. I prefer a world where creators make something that they want to make rather than trying to appease hardcore fans of ... whatever it is they're making.

of course, this would require Marvel and Lucasfilm to actually let their creators do that. so, I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I dunno man, the very weird ownership hardcore fans feel over Star Wars, which has always been exceptionally popular with Regular People, is my least favorite thing about Star Wars. I prefer a world where creators make something that they want to make rather than trying to appease hardcore fans of ... whatever it is they're making.

of course, this would require Marvel and Lucasfilm to actually let their creators do that. so, I'm not holding my breath.
I mean Mando shows the sequels might have made money but didn't have characters people really loved

Sure, I'm sure some people love Rey but.....Grogo and Mando are much bigger characters then anyone in the Sequels and for sure Mando has been seen by less people

Like if you have a cool idea go for it....but I don't think anyone calls the sequels bold movies. The first one is basically a worst remake of a new hope, last jedi could be interesting but has ZERO set up and the third film literally has the line "somehow palpatine returned"

My point is don't piss off fans unless it's worth it, and I don't think anyone can claim that Star Wars Sequels or Phase 4-5 of the MCU is worth what making so many people just hate both series. I'm not saying pander but to go out of your way to upset fans.....come on makes no sense when these films about making money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I think there's a massive gap between trying something new with the form (Ragnarok and The Last Jedi) vs. actively trying to "piss off fans." There's a difference between not caring if fans are pissed off (makes sense to me!) rather than trying to make it so.

Rise of Skywalker is, in many ways, a response to fans who moaned about The Last Jedi. And we see how that worked out!

I think there's a massive gap between trying something new with the form (Ragnarok and The Last Jedi) vs. actively trying to "piss off fans." There's a difference between not caring if fans are pissed off (makes sense to me!) rather than trying to make it so.

Rise of Skywalker is, in many ways, a response to fans who moaned about The Last Jedi. And we see how that worked out!
lol

It's not on the fans at all, Disney could have pushed the film back and made a script that worked

In fact they could have...you know had a plan from the start and set things up. Mando season 1/2 and Andor show....if you have good characters and set things up people seem to really enjoy that....over writing that feels like your just making crap up as you go.

Same goes for the MCU, each film used to fit into the story and set something up for the next film or the next Avangers film. This film just is there and it's place in the timeline is weird because even if Fury is before Secret Wars (makes less sense because Fury was suppose to be off planet for years) and I think this film is a perfect example of just them having NO idea where the MCU is going or what it's really setting up

I mean Mando shows the sequels might have made money but didn't have characters people really loved

Sure, I'm sure some people love Rey but.....Grogo and Mando are much bigger characters then anyone in the Sequels and for sure Mando has been seen by less people

Like if you have a cool idea go for it....but I don't think anyone calls the sequels bold movies. The first one is basically a worst remake of a new hope, last jedi could be interesting but has ZERO set up and the third film literally has the line "somehow palpatine returned"

My point is don't piss off fans unless it's worth it, and I don't think anyone can claim that Star Wars Sequels or Phase 4-5 of the MCU is worth what making so many people just hate both series. I'm not saying pander but to go out of your way to upset fans.....come on makes no sense when these films about making money.
You’re literally rewriting history. All three sequel era films we’re very profitable, all having made over $1B in theatrical gross and TFA making over $2B.

Also, TLJ is the second best mainline Star Wars film ever put camera. ESB is still the best but among all movies, I could make a good case for Rogue One being the best SW film. Just bc Episode 9 sucked doesn’t mean everything from that time was bad.

You’re literally rewriting history. All three sequel era films we’re very profitable, all having made over $1B in theatrical gross and TFA making over $2B.

Also, TLJ is the second best mainline Star Wars film ever put camera. ESB is still the best but among all movies, I could make a good case for Rogue One being the best SW film. Just bc Episode 9 sucked doesn’t mean everything from that time was bad.
The films made money but then.....that's not where Star Wars ever made it's real money

Toys and Merch. Which Mando has sold a ton of with wayyyyyy less people seeing that show, even people who haven't seen Mando buy Grogu merch

It's part of the reason DIsney should be pushing for for better story and characters because in 30 years will people care about the sequels?

Rogue One is amazing and easily the best film since Disney bought Star Wars, but I have not seen ONE MCU film that is like Rogue which feels like it's all the writer and director since
Also I'm not saying every project can be Rogue one, for one it takes both a great director and script. I would not be surprised if She Hulk (besides DD being in there and maybe Wong) was 100 percent what the writer wanted....the story was just not that well done

So yeah its about checks and balances for some films and for other's like Were Wolf at Night you let that director do whatever the hell he wants because he understands the characters, universe and fans

In the end, I still just don't get who the film is for......the general public didn't care and most fans didn't care. Maybe it will have legs...but from what I see on the Box Office Sub reddit the film isn't doing too well still and we have a TON of new films about to drop in the next few weeks

The films made money but then.....that's not where Star Wars ever made it's real money

Toys and Merch. Which Mando has sold a ton of with wayyyyyy less people seeing that show, even people who haven't seen Mando buy Grogu merch

It's part of the reason DIsney should be pushing for for better story and characters because in 30 years will people care about the sequels?

Rogue One is amazing and easily the best film since Disney bought Star Wars, but I have not seen ONE MCU film that is like Rogue which feels like it's all the writer and director since
Also I'm not saying every project can be Rogue one, for one it takes both a great director and script. I would not be surprised if She Hulk (besides DD being in there and maybe Wong) was 100 percent what the writer wanted....the story was just not that well done

So yeah its about checks and balances for some films and for other's like Were Wolf at Night you let that director do whatever the hell he wants because he understands the characters, universe and fans

In the end, I still just don't get who the film is for......the general public didn't care and most fans didn't care. Maybe it will have legs...but from what I see on the Box Office Sub reddit the film isn't doing too well still and we have a TON of new films about to drop in the next few weeks
Eternals 100% feels like all writer/director (save for the Avengers callout) and tbh GotG3 pretty much does too. A machine like the MCU is not necessarily better if the writer's and directors are just doing their own thing without any studio input. The MCU is a franchise that actually NEEDS studio intervention in order to maintain quality control. They've lost that over the past few years as the MCU has grown bigger and bigger.

Eternals 100% feels like all writer/director (save for the Avengers callout) and tbh GotG3 pretty much does too. A machine like the MCU is not necessarily better if the writer's and directors are just doing their own thing without any studio input. The MCU is a franchise that actually NEEDS studio intervention in order to maintain quality control. They've lost that over the past few years as the MCU has grown bigger and bigger.
Well GOTG 3 made money and people liked it...sooooo yeah sometimes it works like I said

But the MCU right now needs someone with a vision like the Russo Brothers had or the Millers (making the Spider verse films) and then find directors that fit the vision but also have idea's to add.

This film is an example of just another MCU film, now Miss Marvel had the drawing scene which had something unique but after that...it could have been Antman 2 for anyone could have told it was just shot like....a product rather then a badass movie

I'd also throw in Spiderman is about to have a comic run by Greg Weisman, who worked on Specular Spiderman and Young Justice...hire him. I'm sure he would have a tonnnnnn of idea's and know's what comic book fans loveeeeeeeee.

Well GOTG 3 made money and people liked it...sooooo yeah sometimes it works like I said

But the MCU right now needs someone with a vision like the Russo Brothers had or the Millers (making the Spider verse films) and then find directors that fit the vision but also have idea's to add.

This film is an example of just another MCU film, now Miss Marvel had the drawing scene which had something unique but after that...it could have been Antman 2 for anyone could have told it was just shot like....a product rather then a badass movie

I'd also throw in Spiderman is about to have a comic run by Greg Weisman, who worked on Specular Spiderman and Young Justice...hire him. I'm sure he would have a tonnnnnn of idea's and know's what comic book fans loveeeeeeeee.
Explain to me what Thor: Love and Thunder was though if that’s not a clear example of a director/writer taking a project and just doing whatever the hell the feel like with it.

Again, studio intervention in the MCU is NOT a bad thing as long as the main purpose is quality control like it was during the infinity saga.

• Sad
Explain to me what Thor: Love and Thunder was though if that’s not a clear example of a director/writer taking a project and just doing whatever the hell the feel like with it.

Again, studio intervention in the MCU is NOT a bad thing as long as the main purpose is quality control like it was during the infinity saga.
I said sometimes it works

I never said it always will, James Gunn made a SS movie that no one watched....and sure it was after the pandemic but even after it was on HBO never got much attention

MCU needs
1) A Plan for the story and characters
2) Find Directors who like said plan and would like to do a movie for X character and add their style to the film so it has personalty
3) Stop introducing characters/plots unless they directly tie into a film/TV coming out in the next 2 years
4) Listen to feedback, they have had very good feedback from fans since Phase 4...and have no listened at all until after the Marvels.
5) Hire some bigger actors, I'm sorry but you need some star Power or find up and coming actors that could break out better. Besides really Kate Bishop Actress, none of the other younger actors are in anything that is drawing young people and you don't have any older actors drawing in older people. It sucks but it's also part of the issue is the star power.

I said sometimes it works

I never said it always will, James Gunn made a SS movie that no one watched....and sure it was after the pandemic but even after it was on HBO never got much attention

MCU needs
1) A Plan for the story and characters
2) Find Directors who like said plan and would like to do a movie for X character and add their style to the film so it has personalty
3) Stop introducing characters/plots unless they directly tie into a film/TV coming out in the next 2 years
4) Listen to feedback, they have had very good feedback from fans since Phase 4...and have no listened at all until after the Marvels.
5) Hire some bigger actors, I'm sorry but you need some star Power or find up and coming actors that could break out better. Besides really Kate Bishop Actress, none of the other younger actors are in anything that is drawing young people and you don't have any older actors drawing in older people. It sucks but it's also part of the issue is the star power.

I think the MCU needs good movies that people want to see. There. Fixed it!

I think the MCU needs good movies that people want to see. There. Fixed it!
I agree

But there is also more then that which is what made the MCU work. It had characters people liked and most of which were played by big stars or upcoming stars
The movies were good but also they connected in a way no other films had and people lived for the end credit stuff

So I agree simple thing is makes better films but they also need a plan and more big stars in films and some films that had directors that made the films stand out because they know how to film action movies to have identities over the generic marvel look we have would not hurt either

So I agree simple thing is makes better films but they also need a plan and more big stars in films and some films that had directors that made the films stand out because they know how to film action movies to have identities over the generic marvel look we have would not hurt either

You do realize RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Pratt, Holland, Boseman, etc weren't big stars at the time of their casting... right?

EDIT - I'd argue the biggest star they cast for a title role was probably Larson, as it was right on the heels of her Oscar win. A case could be made for Rudd, though.

You do realize RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Pratt, Holland, Boseman, etc weren't big stars at the time of their casting... right?
RDJ was a fallen star but my dad knew who he was and that's why he even watched Ironman

Evans and Hemsworth were in films people saw or liked. Evans was in Scoot Pilgram and Not Another Teen movie (cult classics) and Hemsworth was in Star Trek reboot which was huge

Holland was in Spider man...so yeah those films print money no matter who stars in them.

The films also had Jeff Bridges in them, Ironman 2 Villain was a big actor, Thor had Anthony Hopkins and so on.....Look at the Marvels. Besides Bre Larson and Jackson the star power isn't there.

I'm also not saying its the whole thing but a part of it, they need to do a few things to get back to the old MCU

Reactions: Ahmanet
yes, other than noted famous people brie larson and samuel jackson, there just aren't any famous people in the last two phases of the MCU.

as long as you don't get count christian bale, angelina jolie, benedict cumberbatch, paul rudd, evangeline lily, natalie portman, chris hemsworth (who had a cameo in star trek before we even knew who he was), chris pratt, bradley cooper ... and that's just the big stars.

the major difference between the marvel movies 10 years ago and the marvel movies today are that, as @Clive already said, the old movies were more good than bad and today the movies are more bad than good. that's it.