The Marvels | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

The Marvels

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have been itching to get back to a theater. In the past three months, the only film I’ve seen is A Haunting in Venice. Didn’t really have much interest in going out to see this, but with it being the shortest MCU film at 105 minutes, maybe it won’t be so bad to get out for a couple of hours.

Reactions: saint.piss
So without spoiling anything, so should I spend my money to watch this in theaters or…
I skipped out on seeing it last night, but a friend who has pretty similar tastes went and asked what critics were so against “Because that movie was a whole lot of fun. So many stupid ideas that could have easily been a Thor 4, but executed way better.”

Movie supposedly has the same tone as Ms. Marvel (which both they liked, but so do I quite a bit). Interestingly, they noted that the felt like they’d be lost without seeing Ms. Marvel. So sound like if you liked Ms. Marvel, you probably can find a lot of enjoyment in this film.

Movie supposedly has the same tone as Ms. Marvel (which both they liked, but so do I quite a bit)
eugene levy pop GIF by Schitt's Creek

It’s for me at the same level as black Adam or the flash, dumb fun movie

Without miss marvel the film would not work and she is easily the best part of the main cast

The villain is boring, bad acting, uninteresting motivations and no iconic look, she literally uses Ronan’s hammer so has nothing unique to her

6 or 7 out of ten film

Just watch the end credits, wait for Disney plus or see or fit a discount rate/AMC a list

so.......
the leads, the 3 leads are pretty charming and had great chemistry. they were wonderful, miss marvel is really great and charming. brie Larson was charming and fun and sweet. they were all great..... ( Nick fury was cool)
beasty boys scene was my favorite part of the entire movie. I loved it. I loved them together.
all the scenes with the 3 heroes interacting was great.

...then there's the plot, awful. generic, forgettable. awful villain. extremely generic. plot wise this was kind of as generic as ant man 3 or thor 4. it's that bad.
no real danger, no real stakes. extremely generic. 1 dimensional story.
, then theres the "humor"....the "singing" humor was cringe. terrible. unnecessary.
and miss marvel's family was annoying. unnecessary. really annoying.
had Awful scenes without the 3 leads. if the 3 marvels are not on screen, it becomes awful. anytime we cut away from them, I hated the movie.
the cat stuff was really really cool.

• Angry
So without spoiling anything, so should I spend my money to watch this in theaters or…

it's kind of the same quality as the marvel TV shows. felt like part of the TV shows. I kinda wish I waited to watch it home. kinda felt like an episode from miss marvel.
the way it was set up. it feels like a sequel to a movie that doesn't exist. feels like the second half of a TV show. the villain specifically

$47M domestic opening weekend, $88M Worldwide. Lowest opening for a MCU film ever and to compare, this is only a higher opening than Morbius by a mere $8M (and The Marvels cost a lot more to make than Morbius did). Yikes.

Big changes are coming to Marvel, this is a nail in the coffin type numbers.

I'm not sure what they could do to be honest.
getting better directors can't fix the writing. and getting better writers can't change the fact that these characters just aren't connecting as well ( I love moonknight so much but no one cares)

young avengers? haven't heard anyone really care. Echo? most people forgot about her.
you got the x men, fantastic 4. but that's gonna take so long.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Big changes are coming to Marvel, this is a nail in the coffin type numbers.
Which I think will be good

MCU films used to be events....with exceptions now the films are mostly filler with exceptions

But MCU films need to be events and we can throw in some specials for some characters.

I also dislike many online saying people are bored of Super Hero's....they are tired of the filler films. Spiderman 2 the Video game scored and sold well, Across the Spider Verse, Were Wolf at Night, GOTG3 and Loki season 2 .

The issue is when films are just all dumb fun, this film needed to focus more on the main cast. Spectrum is cool but doesn't get to do enough outside the ending and one scene where she opens up, Captain Marvel has trauma but...the filsm fun tone really doesn't work with her story. Miss Marvel nails it and is the heart of the film but the other two stars just....need more screen time to get to understand their characters more

Also I will just crap on this new villain for...so long. She somehow is even more boring then the Dark Elves in Thor 2, she just had nothing about her that worked, the acting was not convincing, her motives are basic, no iconic look and literally uses another Villains weapon....I wish the Villain was just more of a monster like alioth if they needed just an instrument of destruction

Once again it's not like a badddddd film its a 6/7 out of ten but right now thats not what the MCU needs, it needs another like 3 hits in a row that are as liked as No Way Home

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
Which I think will be good

MCU films used to be events....with exceptions now the films are mostly filler with exceptions

But MCU films need to be events and we can throw in some specials for some characters.

I also dislike many online saying people are bored of Super Hero's....they are tired of the filler films. Spiderman 2 the Video game scored and sold well, Across the Spider Verse, Were Wolf at Night, GOTG3 and Loki season 2 .

The issue is when films are just all dumb fun, this film needed to focus more on the main cast. Spectrum is cool but doesn't get to do enough outside the ending and one scene where she opens up, Captain Marvel has trauma but...the filsm fun tone really doesn't work with her story. Miss Marvel nails it and is the heart of the film but the other two stars just....need more screen time to get to understand their characters more

Also I will just crap on this new villain for...so long. She somehow is even more boring then the Dark Elves in Thor 2, she just had nothing about her that worked, the acting was not convincing, her motives are basic, no iconic look and literally uses another Villains weapon....I wish the Villain was just more of a monster like alioth if they needed just an instrument of destruction

Once again it's not like a badddddd film its a 6/7 out of ten but right now thats not what the MCU needs, it needs another like 3 hits in a row that are as liked as No Way Home

I hate to say it. but .... this movie desperately needed Kang ( and that's controversial after ant man 3....)
Thanos worked because of the build up. loki is a fan favorite with a lot of build up.
as bad as the Kang situation is, and as bad as ant man 3 was.... this movie needed a established older villain. if not Kang, someone from the past. anyone, any small henchman from before. from one of the TV shows. anyone ...
this movie might have the worst marvel villain.

• Haha
I hate to say it. but .... this movie desperately needed Kang ( and that's controversial after ant man 3....)
Thanos worked because of the build up. loki is a fan favorite with a lot of build up.
as bad as the Kang situation is, and as bad as ant man 3 was.... this movie needed a established older villain. if not Kang, someone from the past. anyone, any small henchman from before. from one of the TV shows. anyone ...
this movie might have the worst marvel villain.
He would have been better then the Villain we got

But I don't think it's about which characters are in X film, its about the writing. This film with the same writer would even with Kang would not have fixed the film

We need them to write the film like MCU phaes 2-3 or like Across the Spider Verse.

I want to emphasize this point because I willingly skipped out on going because I didn't want to spend the money to see what I had been assuming would be a let down (something I used to never think about an MCU movie), but also because I just had absolutely no interest in the film and was quite frankly looking at seeing it as more of a chore than anything.

I want to emphasize this point because I willingly skipped out on going because I didn't want to spend the money to see what I had been assuming would be a let down (something I used to never think about an MCU movie), but also because I just had absolutely no interest in the film and was quite frankly looking at seeing it as more of a chore than anything.
I got to that point all the way during Moon Knight. I really tried but I just had no interest and after a few scenes of (imo) poor delivery and acting in a row I just couldn't take anymore. I've seen enough superhero content to last a good long time, I'll return if it's something interesting and incredible a la Spider-verse. Anything less and I'll maybe binge watch it in 4-5 years if I care enough. There's just too much other, much better media out there with actual care and energy put into them for me to be wasting my time watching the same factory produced, processed, corn syrup McDonalds Meal movies 6 times a year.

Reactions: Jake S and Mad Dog

I got to that point all the way during Moon Knight. I really tried but I just had no interest and after a few scenes of (imo) poor delivery and acting in a row I just couldn't take anymore. I've seen enough superhero content to last a good long time, I'll return if it's something interesting and incredible a la Spider-verse. Anything less and I'll maybe binge watch it in 4-5 years if I care enough. There's just too much other, much better media out there with actual care and energy put into them for me to be wasting my time watching the same factory produced, processed, corn syrup McDonalds Meal movies 6 times a year.

this is tv show levels.
i felt kinda good about this movie after i left just because of how much i love miss marvel as a character. i truly love her. i loved the 3 marvels.
but the more i analyze this movie, it just makes no sense... and i saw some spoiler reviews on youtube, and the plot really makes no sense. nothing makes sense. seeing spoiler reviews made me realize how it doesnt make sense.

and, now that i watched and finished secret invasion, they completely ruined nick fury in this. what the hell....:eek:

this is tv show levels.
i felt kinda good about this movie after i left just because of how much i love miss marvel as a character. i truly love her. i loved the 3 marvels.
but the more i analyze this movie, it just makes no sense... and i saw some spoiler reviews on youtube, and the plot really makes no sense. nothing makes sense. seeing spoiler reviews made me realize how it doesnt make sense.

and, now that i watched and finished secret invasion, they completely ruined nick fury in this. what the hell....:eek:
Nick Fury in the Marvels felt like a completely different character from what was in Secret Invasion...lol

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
The Marvels was supposed to come out quite awhile before Secret Invasion, which is likely the reason things feel so off there.

I heard that, but even then it feels way off
and even if the marvels did come out before secret invasion, it still makes no sense.
it still wouldn't add up for his attitude.
Nick fury scenes were awful. he was comedic relief, but done so badly. it was just really bad. if I ever rewatch this again, I would fast forward his scenes and the villain scenes. I would just want captain marvel and miss marvel on rewatch.