Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The New Mutants

Not gonna lie, that trailer looks really good and it actually has me putting this film on my radar now. It'll be interesting what the reception of the movie is, but i'm actually interested in this.

Downside however is that director Josh Boone confirmed the film to be PG-13 instead of the originally rumored R-rating for the film. If true, that significantly reduces how gory the film can be as a horror film.

Even though the film has certainly been through a trip, I've always felt the trailers were intriguing and this newest one does look good. It should also be noted the director commented that the current version of the film followed his original vision, so that could be a good sign.

An if the film turns out decent, then it's a huge step up from the bland mess that was Dark Phoenix. Seriously, they put all their marbles/hype into that one?

The movie will receive a theatrical release on August 28th. This is the FIFTH new release date for The New Mutants since it was originally supposed to release in April 2018. It was filmed from July to September 2017. This is just comical at this point.

That's what... the fifth release date this movie's had?

They must be contractually obligated to give it a theatrical release, otherwise I have to believe they'd have tried it out on VOD.

That's what... the fifth release date this movie's had?

They must be contractually obligated to give it a theatrical release, otherwise I have to believe they'd have tried it out on VOD.
They can do whatever they want with the film. It does tell me one of two things though:

1.) If Disney thinks they have a movie that is worth going through the trouble of giving it two release dates just since they bought FOX, the movie actually may be something of quality.

or

2.) There's simply more money to be had by releasing it in theaters than on PVOD. Remember, this was a fairly cheap movie to make and it is X-Men/Marvel content. There's some fans who will always show up for those movies.

Maybe, but if they really wanted to attempt to maximize its box office potential, they didn't give it a great slot. Even in the best of circumstances, the last weekend of August is usually pretty bad.

I'd have put it in the first weekend of October, and really play up the horror-inflected elements.

Maybe, but if they really wanted to attempt to maximize its box office potential, they didn't give it a great slot. Even in the best of circumstances, the last weekend of August is usually pretty bad.

I'd have put it in the first weekend of October, and really play up the horror-inflected elements.
There really is no good slots right now and no horror movie opens in October anymore. Late-August or Early September are when they tend to open so they can maximize profits throughout the season. Releasing at the beginning of October would end up competing with 20th Century's Death On The Nile.

August is jam-packed and it's not the best slot, but WW1984 should have petered out by then. Honestly, if I was Disney, I would've pushed up the opening to August 21st. There's a lot of smaller films that weekend, but The New Mutants would be the bigger name. Then the 28th would have no real new competition and September 4th is when you run into A Quiet Place.

Simply put, the release schedule is jam-packed right now. You have to take what you can get.

There really is no good slots right now and no horror movie opens in October anymore. Late-August or Early September are when they tend to open so they can maximize profits throughout the season. Releasing at the beginning of October would end up competing with 20th Century's Death On The Nile.

August is jam-packed and, but WW1984 should have petered out by then. Honestly, if I was Disney, I would've pushed up the opening to August 21st. There's a lot of smaller films that weekend, but The New Mutants would be the bigger name. Then the 28th would have no real new competition and September 4th is when you run into A Quiet Place.

Simply put, the release schedule is jam-packed right now. You have to take what you can get.

Fair. I forgot DEATH ON THE NILE was also October. Figured November because that's when MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS opened.

Fair. I forgot DEATH ON THE NILE was also October. Figured November because that's when MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS opened.
I do think that if, for whatever reason, the movie theaters aren't open by this time (or they did open and had to close again) that Disney will probably finally just throw in the towel in put it up on Hulu or Disney+.

Although I kind of doubt it would go to Disney+ (and not even for any rating issue as I believe it's PG-13), but because Disney+ has not put ANY Fox X-men movies on Disney+ when almost all are PG-13. The reasoning? They don't want to confuse the audience. When you're on Disney+, the Marvel content you see is part of the MCU and I don't think they want to change that.

There really is no good slots right now and no horror movie opens in October anymore.

2019: The Lighthouse, The Gallows Part II
2018: Halloween
2017: Happy Death Day, Jigsaw
2016: Ouija: Origin of Evil

Having all of the horror movies in October would be too cluttered.

2019: The Lighthouse, The Gallows Part II
2018: Halloween
2017: Happy Death Day, Jigsaw
2016: Ouija: Origin of Evil

Having all of the horror movies in October would be too cluttered.
The Lighthouse was an indie movie and most of the others are Blumhouse, so they seem to like the month.

Bigger budget horror movies tend to release in September to have longer legs through the Halloween season.

The Lighthouse was an indie movie and most of the others are Blumhouse, so they seem to like the month.

Bigger budget horror movies tend to release in September to have longer legs through the Halloween season.

Yeah, I remember walking past the CityWalk theater in around Christmas 2017 and STILL seeing the posters/showtimes up for the first IT movie.

With Wonder Woman 1984 moved to October 2nd now, seems like a perfect time to move up the release date by a week or so for this movie (To August 21st). Especially because Bill & Ted vacated August 21st for the 14th as soon as Wonder Woman moved. The 21st has no major releases, currently.