The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 106 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have liked it if they had been allowed to get creative with it—and no, one scene of going inside the generator does not count. Put it this way, MIB would suck if it was just a book report of the film, no?

If you’re dealing with a non-horror IP, it’s not going to work if you just recreate the material.
I'm not sure if you misunderstood, but I'm not trying to convince you that the house was good lol.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
So then where’s this talk of the “backlash” against properties like GB coming from?
GSATs. But GSATs =/= merch sales.
I may have liked it if they had been allowed to get creative with it—and no, one scene of going inside the generator does not count. Put it this way, MIB would suck if it was just a book report of the film, no?
Well, they were allowed. And it was actually successful in Hollywood with an almost identical structure. And they've done "book report" houses in the past that were extremely successful (American Werewolf in London, key among them).

It's a matter of execution.

Performance as in GSAT's or performance as in drawing guests to the event? Because last year was exceptionally strong in the latter department.

IDK. If you look through the start of this thread, it seems to suggest that they're moving ***somewhat*** back in the direction of what the fans want, with talk of fewer and scarier IPs...at least in terms of houses. :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: uso345
@Legacy: I can do a book report house if it’s based off an actual horror property. Sorry for not specifying.
You can do a book report house on non-horror properties too. And creative takes on non-horror things can fall apart too. It’s all in the individual execution.
IDK. If you look through the start of this thread, it seems to suggest that they're moving ***somewhat*** back in the direction of what the fans want, with talk of fewer and scarier IPs...at least in terms of houses. :shrug:
Fan speculation in November doesn’t mean much when decisions are made in September.

You can do a book report house on non-horror properties too. And creative takes on non-horror things can fall apart too. It’s all in the individual execution.

Fan speculation in November doesn’t mean much when decisions are made in September.

Fair. But then why are we rumored to be getting fewer IPs?

Because most of the early rumors we get are wrong.

Almost every year, there are a couple of early rumors that don’t come to fruition. And by February, when it turns out those rumors were incorrect, people who put their eggs in the rumor basket get annoyed, disbelieving, or upset.

That’s why I’ve been upfront about “chaotic neutral“ this year. I’m giving clues to rumors. Some of what I’m providing clues for are not going to occur. Some of what I’ve ALREADY provided clues for, I’ve gotten conflicting information. Even the “absolutely going to happen“ IPs people are expecting may not happen.

It’s January. None of us are flies on the wall.

Maybe they are bringing back original house sequels? Personally, I would love to go through N.O.E.S. Dreamwalkers if there was a time machine that house would my first hit.
Question: Has HHN ever brought back a house exactly the same? Or is it brought back as a sequal/ prequal? TIA.

Reactions: Living Dead Dude
Maybe they are bringing back original house sequels? Personally, I would love to go through N.O.E.S. Dreamwalkers if there was a time machine that house would my first hit.
Question: Has HHN ever brought back a house exactly the same? Or is it brought back as a sequal/ prequal? TIA.

AWIL at 25.

Because most of the early rumors we get are wrong.

Almost every year, there are a couple of early rumors that don’t come to fruition. And by February, when it turns out those rumors were incorrect, people who put their eggs in the rumor basket get annoyed, disbelieving, or upset.

That’s why I’ve been upfront about “chaotic neutral“ this year. I’m giving clues to rumors. Some of what I’m providing clues for are not going to occur. Some of what I’ve ALREADY provided clues for, I’ve gotten conflicting information. Even the “absolutely going to happen“ IPs people are expecting may not happen.

It’s January. None of us are flies on the wall.

So basically...
no-eyed-deer.gif
Welp, back to assuming all the properties I don't want to happen will show up. :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: Andromeda
That's good to know. I wouldnt mind Scarecrow or Dead Waters exactly the same. I still remember the smells and feel from those houses. Dark , dank, and earthy. I would love to see the paddleboat again. Props to whoever put that together it was beautiful.

I agree they were both excellent houses. But I would rather see them do something new with either.

Reactions: Andromeda
Going back to the keys image from that poster. The poster said November 7. I can only find one notable horror film released on that date that could even be a possibility for a house/scarezone. Repo! The Genetic Opera. I’d love to see that fill the “cult” slot this year.

Can’t stop, won’t stop.

View attachment 11533

PS - you won’t solve this, I bet.

Okay, I've been away a few days and, of course, @Legacy throws out 2 clues while I'm gone. I'm gonna try and tackle this one first. Now, I'm going to go off on a couple of tangents and have multiple answers here, but they will all be rooted in "work".

THEORY 1 INFO: This specific American Flag Pie image comes from a King Arthur website. I looked at about a hundred similar images, and none matched this - so I'm guessing Legacy picked this specific picture of an American Flag Pie for a reason. So I'm gonna focus on King Arthur here.

THEORY 1 GUESS: King Arthur's real name was Arthur Pendragon. Pendagron Game Studio is known for a horror board game called "Last Friday", which is a Friday the 13th related board game (actually looks really cool). Here is the site in case anyone wants to check it out (Last Friday – EN Pendragon Game Studio). So, my guess in THIS scenario is a FRIDAY THE 13TH property. I don't think this is the answer though - the next one follows @Legacy's modus operandi much more closely. This was the dot connecting that was most fun though.

THEORY 2 INFO: @Legacy - being the sonofabitch we know he is :) - knew that some of us would take the bait on the King Arthur website and run with that. He could have picked any of the hundreds of similar pies, but he picked that one specifically to throw us off. But the King Arthur connection is a red herring and has nothing to do with it. The clue is the clue. It's literally an American Pie - and that's the clue.

THEORY 2 GUESS: I feel this is my strongest guess. American Pie was released on July 9, 1999. Another movie released on that exact same date - July 9, 1999? Candyman 3: Day of the Dead. So, my guess in THIS scenario is CANDYMAN (and, no, this wasn't a result of already having this property in my head, I just followed the date clues).

Last edited:
I guess it’s not fair to admit the Pie clue ISN’T for a house or zone.

I mean, it's pretty tough to guess if it's not a house or zone since the possibilities are endless and we have absolutely no compass to guide us in any direction. So I'll guess Purge Pie dessert (since Purge hamfists the whole "American" aspect)!

I mean, it's pretty tough to guess if it's not a house or zone since the possibilities are endless. So I'll guess Purge Pie dessert (since Purge hamfists the whole "American" aspect)!
Possibilities aren’t endless.

Here... this is something that MAY help.

Clue 1 - H
Clue 2 - H
Clue 3 - M
Clue 4 - H
Clue 5 - S
Clue 6 - Z
Clue 7 - H
Clue 8 - L

EDIT - And, here’s some shortcuts.

Clue 1 - Secondary
Clue 2 - Post-Ed
Clue 3 - Extended