The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 287 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The practice really seemed to kick off predominantly after 2013, with the debut of All Night Die-In. I'm sure there were plenty of knock-off one-off characters in mazes before then, of course. But off the top of my head...

All Night Die-In > Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Horror in Wax > House of Wax/Waxwork
Demon Cantina > From Dusk Till Dawn
Body Collectors > Buffy (still not sure how they've gotten away with cribbing the Gentlemen all these years?)
All Night Die-In: Take 2 > Scream, The Ring, Hellraiser, Silence of the Lambs
Dungeon of Terror: Retold > Motel Hell (some House of 1000 Corpses, too)
Run: Hostile Territory > Hostel
Interstellar Terror > Event Horizon
The Spawning > C.H.U.D.
Saws 'n' Steam > Bioshock
The Forsaken > The Fog
Afterlife: Death's Vengeance > Wes Craven's Shocker
Giggles & Gore, Inc. > arguably a precursor to Killer Klowns
RUN: Blood, Sweat, & Fears > The Running Man
Seeds of Extinction > The Last of Us

There's honestly fewer than I'd remembered (though I'm sure there's a couple I'm overlooking), but part of that stems from the game changing after 2007. Once Universal got access to the actual blockbuster IPs, there were fewer reasons to resort to original takes on unavailable material.
Jack was more Pennywise (child killing clown with supernatural powers)

Chance was definitely Harley

Albert Caine was The Tall Man

Leave it to Cleaver took some stuff from Fallout

While Zombiegeddon was a mash up of Fido and Zombieland

Also, Hive was very Salem’s Lot

Honestly, the inspired by Originals have often exceeded their source material. At the very least, they feel more consistent from a narrative standpoint

And once again, I really want to see a similar take on FNAF. All the opportunities provided by the concept, without the fanbase. :)

Dollhouse of the Damned...

Good point. It's a head-scratcher that house wasn't very well received (going off the reviews it got here) because it looked terrifying from the POVs. Scary imagery is exactly what HHN needs to rely on with a conga line. It did tie for HotY though.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
Kind of thinking about Bedtime Stories, and that House could actually be pretty terrifying. We already know about Tooth Fairy which is already creepy by itself. So if it incorporates other childhood urban legends like Santa, Easter Bunny, and maybe the Boogeyman it could be a pretty gruesome house. Probably the only known house we don’t know much about

Kind of thinking about Bedtime Stories, and that House could actually be pretty terrifying. We already know about Tooth Fairy which is already creepy by itself. So if it incorporates other childhood urban legends like Santa, Easter Bunny, and maybe the Boogeyman it could be a pretty gruesome house. Probably the only known house we don’t know much about
I was thinking sorta like what they did with Where Evil Hides back at 15.

Good point. It's a head-scratcher that house wasn't very well received (going off the reviews it got here) because it looked terrifying from the POVs. Scary imagery is exactly what HHN needs to rely on with a conga line. It did tie for HotY though.

Dollhouse was amazing. Could have been my favorite that year had it not been for Halloween (which is my all time favorite since I started attending in 2012).

This isn't a post specifically about COVID I promise. My question is that, given the current situation, has anybody heard anything about Uni possibly extending the BOGO offer? I believe, as of now, BOGO tickets need to be purchased by June 5. As it stands, I'm having a bunch of people from different areas (Canada, California, etc) coming to crash at my house for a week, and they are all planning on purchasing BOGOs (I'm getting FFP so it doesn't affect me). Just curious if anyone has any insight on whether or not they'd push the June 5th deadline out a bit to give people more time to decide.

It's possible, maybe to the end of June. Then again, I could see them keeping the date to deter multiple visits. Guess it depends on their re-opening plan.

Boogeyman, maybe. Santa and E.B. leans way into the holidays.

It's possible, maybe to the end of June. Then again, I could see them keeping the date to deter multiple visits. Guess it depends on their re-opening plan.
I’m actually curious how they will run multi-night tickets if they end up limiting capacity even more to the event. Atleast with single day tickets you know how many tickets were sold and how many people to expect.. with multi night tickets you have no way of knowing how many people are planning to come that night. Then there is the aspect of, Will onsite guests get priority? I know there will be a lot of angry visitors if they travel thousands of miles to stay a week Onsite for HHN and get a multi day ticket then are turned away due to capacity... I’m very interested to see how ticket options pan out.

Reactions: Brownie54

Boogeyman, maybe. Santa and E.B. leans way into the holidays.

I could imagine maybe bedbugs? Stories and rhymes that revolve around sleep.

Dollhouse was one of the most uncomfortable houses I have ever been in at HHN. There was an ambiance about it that just felt...wrong. The "Make you pretty" scene has stuck with me to this day. While I do get jump scares in most of the houses, very few have gotten under my skin like Dollhouse.

I was thinking sorta like what they did with Where Evil Hides back at 15.
I would agree, except Legacy has already said it’s not a suburban home. HHNRumors describes it as “Victorian.”

We have been told it's Guillermo Del Toro, Victorian, and does not take place in suburbia. To me that means we are entering the fantastic realm where all these childhood fears reside. Could it possibly be ruled over by one of them? Sure. Structurally it could be similar to the last Scary Tales where one of them serves as the ruler/keeper of the realm and we hop between the other creatures.

I mean, we have things like the Boogeyman, the monster under the bed, the monster in the closet, the Tooth Fairy, and they could fill it out with other childhood monsters if they so chose. It allows a fair amount of leniency, it's just a matter of picking up on WHAT creatures could qualify for the house.

Dollhouse was one of the most uncomfortable houses I have ever been in at HHN. There was an ambiance about it that just felt...wrong. The "Make you pretty" scene has stuck with me to this day. While I do get jump scares in most of the houses, very few have gotten under my skin like Dollhouse.

We have been told it's Guillermo Del Toro, Victorian, and does not take place in suburbia. To me that means we are entering the fantastic realm where all these childhood fears reside. Could it possibly be ruled over by one of them? Sure. Structurally it could be similar to the last Scary Tales where one of them serves as the ruler/keeper of the realm and we hop between the other creatures.

I mean, we have things like the Boogeyman, the monster under the bed, the monster in the closet, the Tooth Fairy, and they could fill it out with other childhood monsters if they so chose. It allows a fair amount of leniency, it's just a matter of picking up on WHAT creatures could qualify for the house.

I could see dream catchers involved somehow.

“When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” :p

Last edited:
  • Love
I could see dream catchers involved somehow.

Possibly.

I have always sort of had the comic The Stuff of Legend in mind when I thought about this house. I know this is not correct or directly what they are going for, but for me it encompasses some of the general concept:

The Stuff of Legend - Wikipedia

3131603-the%20stuff%20of%20legend%20v1%20002%20%28of%20004%29%20%282009%29%20pagecover.jpg

And I am already aware that this is probably wrong, because I imagine it is going to be more Pan's Labyrinth based (fantastical realm beyond the real world with nightmare creatures), but The Stuff of Legend sprung to mind before I had heard Guillermo Del Toro-esque

Last edited:
Possibly.

I have always sort of had the comic The Stuff of Legend in mind when I thought about this house. I know this is not correct or directly what they are going for, but for me it encompasses some of the general concept:

The Stuff of Legend - Wikipedia

3131603-the%20stuff%20of%20legend%20v1%20002%20%28of%20004%29%20%282009%29%20pagecover.jpg

And I am already aware that this is probably wrong, because I imagine it is going to be more Pan's Labyrinth based (fantastical realm beyond the real world with nightmare creatures), but The Stuff of Legend sprung to mind before I had heard Guillermo Del Toro-esque

The whole rumored lineup feels very fantastical/mythical. Look forward to seeing it, be it this year or next year.

Tombs of the Ancients in 26?
Oh dang... I missed that one (I started going in 28). So.... make that Roman, Greek, or Norse mythology then lol. I'd prefer Greek or Roman since there's just so much to pull from there. So many different creatures and so many possibilities.

Oh dang... I missed that one (I started going in 28). So.... make that Roman, Greek, or Norse mythology then lol. I'd prefer Greek or Roman since there's just so much to pull from there. So many different creatures and so many possibilities.
We just had Nightingales: Blood Pit last year.

To me this reads like he really just wants to see Hades, not their original creatures against a Greek/Roman backdrop. I can get why seeing the gods and monsters from mythology in a full fledged house would be appealing

Hades was a house I should have loved, but it totally fell flat for me. It had a great beginning and a few decent scares along the way, but I always walked out thinking it should have been better. This coming from a guy who loves his Greek/Roman mythology

I would love a Norse mythology house, but I expect it will NEVER happen. There’s just not enough iconic/relatable creatures they could put in there for the GP. The Vikings last year are probably the closest we will come unless they do an Original concept against a Viking backdrop (Nightingale’s, Body Collectors, The Forsaken, etc)

By the by, I totally understand wanting to see something you missed out on, I still wish I saw Gothic or Dead end and anything before 2009.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.