The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 286 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 3 different threads on COVID,
One for general talk, one for Tourism and Entertainment, and one for morale and positivity. We don’t need anymore. As stated countless times on this thread and elsewhere, we just don’t know what’s gonna happen. It’s too early to tell so as of now, assume it’s happening.

I only saw the one for Tourism and Entertainment and didn’t know there were others. My bad.

One thing I find super interesting is watching back at previous mazes.

Does anyone else find it interesting how different the scares have become? I looked back at scares from the Cabin in the Woods house in Orlando compared to now. So many scares used to be people behind fence and banging, whereas now there isn't really much of a barrier between them and you.

Is this a valid difference? Or am I just forgetting recent mazes that have done it (recent as in past 2 years).

Does anyone else find it interesting how different the scares have become? I looked back at scares from the Cabin in the Woods house in Orlando compared to now. So many scares used to be people behind fence and banging, whereas now there isn't really much of a barrier between them and you.

Is this a valid difference? Or am I just forgetting recent mazes that have done it (recent as in past 2 years).

That was just that house though. Look at Evil Dead from that same year where some of those actors were ridiculously close (I personally know one of the arm cut girls and she had to have multiple people ejected from the event for touching her). I think Cabin sort of demands some distance, while other properties do not.

I would love to see the Sander Cohen scene of the piano playing and him trying torture us to dance to his music and seeing all of his past victims around us, some as jumpscares and stuff, it would work out so well to have him featured in the house in someway.

As The Last Of Us, I wouldn't doubt they'll get to seek their teeth into because they will have property that could maybe balance with half of it on the game and possibly half on the show unless they stick to show's content. As long as we get a few scenes with Clickers lurking about everywhere, Seeds with the planet creatures resembling the clickers really got me hyped for that house, I hope fingers cross the property comes to the event in the future.

Here's my question on this: why do you need it to be called Bioshock or The Last of Us?

We had a Big Daddy stand in in 2011

We had clicker stand ins in 2018

They could potentially adapt that scene with Sander Cohen into an actual scene in a future Original (it's not hard to do)

So, why does it need to be labeled as the video game?

Rights are expensive, the plots of the video games take a long time to explain, and it would just feel like a disjointed best of house.

To me, it's stronger as an inspired by Original with similar aesthetics. I am also willing to accept that I am probably in the minority on this point.

This is in no way an attack, I am just curious as to the reasoning.

Last edited:

The walking dead or cabin in the woods, can’t recall which, the guy hit me in the forehead with the fence/wall. It gave me an owie.

Can’t blame him because he couldn’t see us, but I bet that’s one reason they stopped doing that.

That was just that house though. Look at Evil Dead from that same year where some of those actors were ridiculously close (I personally know one of the arm cut girls and she had to have multiple people ejected from the event for touching her). I think Cabin sort of demands some distance, while other properties do not.

Here's my question on this: why do you need it to be called Bioshock or The Last of Us?

We had a Big Daddy stand in in 2011

We had clicker stand ins in 2018

They could potentially adapt that scene with Sander Cohen into an actual scene in a future Original (it's not hard to do)

So, why does it need to be labeled as the video game?

Rights are expensive, the plots of the video games take a long time to explain, and it would just feel like a disjointed best of house.

To me, it's stronger as an inspired by Original with similar aesthetics. I am also willing to accept that I am probably in the minority on this point.

This is in no way an attack, I am just curious as to the reasoning.

It’s cool to relive the actual scenes from a property that I personally like. My jaw dropped when I saw the Redface demon in Insidious at 25. Sure, they have done demons in creepy red locations before but it’s not that demon. Same thing with Pazuzu in Legendary Truth vs the actual Exorcist house. And Halloween/Nightmare/Friday/Chainsaw vs All Nite Die In

Plus, the Big Daddy stand in looked vaguely similar to the ones from Bioshock. With that IP in particular it’s the character variety mixed with the Art Deco sets, SnS was a gore factory. For SoX the aesthetic looked pretty similar, however Last of Us would have cooler sets. To me it’s just cooler to walk through an IP with the characters vs a ripoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Living Dead Dude
It’s cool to relive the actual scenes from a property that I personally like. My jaw dropped when I saw the Redface demon in Insidious at 25. Sure, they have done demons in creepy red locations before but it’s not that demon. Same thing with Pazuzu in Legendary Truth vs the actual Exorcist house. And Halloween/Nightmare/Friday/Chainsaw vs All Nite Die In

Plus, the Big Daddy stand in looked vaguely similar to the ones from Bioshock. With that IP in particular it’s the character variety mixed with the Art Deco sets, SnS was a gore factory. For SoX the aesthetic looked pretty similar, however Last of Us would have cooler sets. To me it’s just cooler to walk through an IP with the characters vs a ripoff.
Not necessarily cooler. Just more familiar. There’s a difference.

It’s all what people are looking for. Some people want that familiarity.

Not necessarily cooler. Just more familiar. There’s a difference.

It’s all what people are looking for. Some people want that familiarity.

This is what I was going for. HHN has done original rip off houses that were debatably better than the IPs they were based on in the 2000s however(Demon Cantina vs. Dusk Till Dawn and Run 2 vs Hostel come to mind for me).

Also this conversation has made me realize how many originals were based off of IPs lol

I think Legacy has said this to the heavens every year I’m pretty sure.

The practice really seemed to kick off predominantly after 2013, with the debut of All Night Die-In. I'm sure there were plenty of knock-off one-off characters in mazes before then, of course. But off the top of my head...

All Night Die-In > Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Horror in Wax > House of Wax/Waxwork
Demon Cantina > From Dusk Till Dawn
Body Collectors > Buffy (still not sure how they've gotten away with cribbing the Gentlemen all these years?)
All Night Die-In: Take 2 > Scream, The Ring, Hellraiser, Silence of the Lambs
Dungeon of Terror: Retold > Motel Hell (some House of 1000 Corpses, too)
Run: Hostile Territory > Hostel
Interstellar Terror > Event Horizon
The Spawning > C.H.U.D.
Saws 'n' Steam > Bioshock
The Forsaken > The Fog
Afterlife: Death's Vengeance > Wes Craven's Shocker
Giggles & Gore, Inc. > arguably a precursor to Killer Klowns
RUN: Blood, Sweat, & Fears > The Running Man
Seeds of Extinction > The Last of Us

There's honestly fewer than I'd remembered (though I'm sure there's a couple I'm overlooking), but part of that stems from the game changing after 2007. Once Universal got access to the actual blockbuster IPs, there were fewer reasons to resort to original takes on unavailable material.

The practice really seemed to kick off predominantly after 2013, with the debut of All Night Die-In. I'm sure there were plenty of knock-off one-off characters in mazes before then, of course. But off the top of my head...

All Night Die-In > Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Body Collectors > Buffy (still not sure how they've gotten away with cribbing the Gentlemen all these years?)
The Spawning > C.H.U.D.
The Forsaken > The Fog

There's honestly fewer than I'd remembered (though I'm sure there's a couple I'm overlooking), but part of that stems from the game changing after 2007. Once Universal got access to the actual blockbuster IPs, there were fewer reasons to resort to original takes on unavailable material.

Not to mention that Jack/Chance are basically Joker/Harley Quinn

Reactions: tankart150
Not to mention that Jack/Chance are basically Joker/Harley Quinn

Jack was more Pennywise (child killing clown with supernatural powers)

Chance was definitely Harley

Albert Caine was The Tall Man

Leave it to Cleaver took some stuff from Fallout

While Zombiegeddon was a mash up of Fido and Zombieland

Also, Hive was very Salem’s Lot

Honestly, the inspired by Originals have often exceeded their source material. At the very least, they feel more consistent from a narrative standpoint

The Spawning > C.H.U.D.
The Forsaken > The Fog

Leave it to Cleaver took some stuff from Fallout
Leave it to Cleaver was also inspired by the 1989 movie "Parents."

Also, the War of the Living Dead scarezone was a take on the movie "Dead Snow."

surprised that nobody here has brought up pitch black, the house that literally took the plot and name from the movie of the same name but changed just enough to make it an “original”
Except it really didn't? The house wasn't set on another planet. There were no aliens and no character(s) based on Riddick. The only similarites to the movie were the "concept" of darkness and a similar logo/poster.

Jack is a combination of both but also just the fear of clowns in general.

Dead Exposure Patient Zero was loosely inspired by 28 Days Later especially with the beginning.
Penn & Teller's Newkd Las Vegas literally made me get Fallout: New Vegas vibes
The Skool & Skoolhouse based on Children Of The Corn & Village Of The Damned
Depths Of Fear, Leviathan, Deep Star Six and forgot the last film
Dead Man's Wharf - The Fog
Ship Of Screams - Ghost Ship
So many

Honestly with the lack of ips that can't come to the event, I'm always down for them to continue taking inspirations from films because it really gives the originals more story and character developments even though they are familiar to the source material they are taking inspiration from, I mean I'm just glad that we can experience something that is close those source of materials, I mean when I experienced HIVE at 27 to me that is as close as we are getting a Salem's Lot house. We could have said we had two of King's properties at the event but one just a last minute idea.

Last edited:
This isn't a post specifically about COVID I promise. My question is that, given the current situation, has anybody heard anything about Uni possibly extending the BOGO offer? I believe, as of now, BOGO tickets need to be purchased by June 5. As it stands, I'm having a bunch of people from different areas (Canada, California, etc) coming to crash at my house for a week, and they are all planning on purchasing BOGOs (I'm getting FFP so it doesn't affect me). Just curious if anyone has any insight on whether or not they'd push the June 5th deadline out a bit to give people more time to decide.

This isn't a post specifically about COVID I promise. My question is that, given the current situation, has anybody heard anything about Uni possibly extending the BOGO offer? I believe, as of now, BOGO tickets need to be purchased by June 5. As it stands, I'm having a bunch of people from different areas (Canada, California, etc) coming to crash at my house for a week, and they are all planning on purchasing BOGOs (I'm getting FFP so it doesn't affect me). Just curious if anyone has any insight on whether or not they'd push the June 5th deadline out a bit to give people more time to decide.

THAT is an excellent question. I haven’t heard anything either way, but I could definitely see them extending it. Possibly even along side the rest of the pass options.

Reactions: JJ591
Status
Not open for further replies.