The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 284 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanity Ball’s description made me think it’d be like a mix of Steinman and the plastic surgery people from Professor Pyg in Arkham. Did not expect something more akin to an actual ball.

Honestly though if we’re talking big video game draws, Arkham Asylum is the way to go.

Reactions: Living Dead Dude
A lot of people did, but that was never what the house was going for or promised.
definitely didn't get bioshock vibes, but the whole house felt like one of those arcade rail shooters that have those cool gun controllers. it was so goofy to me that it felt like a video game house in that vain, hahah

Also, just adding to this little discussion, a video game house is something I wish I could see again, there's a lot of ground to cover that could be AMAZING. (Bioshock, Last of Us, Doom, Resident Evil, Left 4 Dead, hell even FNAF) But I don't really see it as ever being in the cards again. Time and time again it's been shown that Universal won't bring a concept back if it doesn't make them money. Icons, the websites that had cool mysteries to solve on them, or even just cohesive stories putting together a year are all gone. How much crap the Resident Evil (even though I got to see my bae Leon Kennedy in person) and Silent Hill house is proof to me that video game houses are not returning any time soon, since they really weren't even close to a selling point, unfortunately. :( Maybe one day there'll be a video game-themed haunt or something but I don't see HHN going into that unless it's an OG idea like Anarchade. So until then, I'll be very surprised if this year or any year soon we get a gaming property.

Last edited:
Saws and Steam: Into the Machine riffed on Bioshock’s aesthetics with the Art Deco motif and a “Big Daddy” scare. And while Vanity Ball hewed a lot closer to “Bioshock,” Depths was a completely different thing.

They’d likely put it in a tent. Maybe a parade building (for drainage).

There are a few reasons Universal has done a pure “video game” house. One, the big one, is that video games are a “limited market” compared to movies. While they’re popular, their fan-bases narrow to those who have played the game. As popular as Bioshock is, more people have seen Us. Then, there’s the complication of getting an IP approved by management.

Let’s say A&D is proposing KKfOS and Bioshock to someone who has not seen or played either for approval. The approver can go home, take two hours, and just watch KKfOS. They could watch a full play through (8-12 hours) assuming they can even stomach watching someone else play an FPS (I rarely can). Or, they can play it themselves, assuming they have a console for it, but that is still a much bigger time commitment than a movie. And sure, A&D can put together a sizzle reel, but that doesn’t address potential questions the approver may have.

That’s the reason, I believe, Silent Hill and Resident Evil are the only video game movies they’ve done; they both have movies for the approvers to watch to get a full sense of the IP. Similarly with a TV show. A&D can say, “watch these 2-4 episodes.”

Solution: Universal buys Bioshock, L4D, Half-Life, Dead Space and every horror game's rights, makes movies and then houses.

Can we chat about how much I want VB to be a house?

I can see a Vanity Ball house ending up in a very similar situation as KKFOS. Without the interaction the zone had, the major appeal would be lost. Same thing with Vamp 55/85. It was all about the cast and what they brought with their interactions. A house just can't really do that.

Vanity Ball was a good zone, I don't see it really being a house, I mean Vamp was another one talked about having a house based around and still hasn't happened, the ideas fleshed out are more tuned to being zones only. Left 4 Dead wouldn't be much different any other zombie house Universal has done except for the special infected like Smoker, Boomer, Hunter and etc. which I could see Universal really taking inspiration from the game and turning into another Dead Exposure or some other zombie-type house. FNAF eh, idk lol. Arkham Asylum would be awesome but WB has already done it for their HMH event and even having The Joker be sorta the main of it of course, I don't see Warner really working with Universal in bringing it in. If it's already troubling bringing in films from Warner, Arkham and Mortal Kombat VGs would be other stuff that would never come to the event as well.

I can see a Vanity Ball house ending up in a very similar situation as KKFOS. Without the interaction the zone had, the major appeal would be lost. Same thing with Vamp 55/85. It was all about the cast and what they brought with their interactions. A house just can't really do that.
I would argue the old After Hours house at Howl-O-Scream achieved the crazy nightclub atmosphere perfectly...and was pretty intense

Reactions: n i c k
I've actually been putting together fan-treatments for both a Vanity Ball house as well as a new Vamp installment (as a house instead of zone) set in 1965. I think both are extremely ripe for expanding on their lore; however, it all really depends on how the creative minds feel about their concepts & characters.

My Vanity Ball house concept sees the characters take a vacation and crash a high-profile party during fashion week in New York City (though this could be translated to any city in the world, honestly). Think bizarre, modern deco architecture/artwork as wealthy Eyes Wide Shut-esque masquerading partygoers are now getting chased and experimented on by the surgeon characters. As for the remainder of the cast, there were at least 15 individual "model" characters in last year's scare zone. Any or all of them could have individual or group scenes playing around with the dismembered remains of the surgeons' victims and antagonize the parkgoers in hopes of obtaining more body parts. There's a lot of room to work in terms of individual scenes for that treatment.

I don't think it's time to follow up either Vanity or Vamp with houses for the 30th anniversary (given what's already speculated). I feel like it's more of a given for our "Mystery Original" to be an overall anniversary house. I was hoping it would land in the new La Bamba location. As plans change, who knows what will shake out.

How long do you guys think Spec map V2 will be relevant? XD. I think it may be awhile till we get another.
V2 was much closer to what I had been hearing, and we’re at a point where rumors and speculation slow down because (typically) announcements have started and everything is locked in.

That said, with everything being what it is, most of the rumor mongers are less concerned with the art of this year than they are how things will operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.