The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 283 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issues with turning a video game are some of the same you get with wanting to turn them into films: they're just too long and too much of an interactive experience to turn them easily into a condensed version of themselves. Video games are (mostly) marathons that could feature up to a dozen big set pieces outside of the more intricate, minuscule lore bits and bobs built into the game. Could you take a Bioshock or Resident Evil 7 and turn it into a house? Probably. Why would you want truncate a 10+ hour experience into 10 minutes though?

I say this as someone who adore storytelling video games and horror games in particular: they're best in their own medium and until they make the jump to film or series, it's going to be an awfully hard sell. It'd be easier to pitch a single set piece from a video game than an entire game. I'd be all in for a Half-Life: Terrors of Black Mesa house myself.

That's kind of how I'd imagine you'd do these adaptations, instead of pitching a full condensed version of the game you'd be looking at an individual story told in universe that may overlap with part of the main game. i.e. you're a scientist escaping Black Mesa, you might see Gordon at some point but you're not occupying that role.

@Legacy, is the difficulty in pitching and getting approval why you see sort of loose legally distinct adaptation and riffing on these themes instead of going for an actual adaptation?

Reactions: Pedro Navarro
Why would you want truncate a 10+ hour experience into 10 minutes though?
3-5 minutes. That’s about how long a house is.
@Legacy, is the difficulty in pitching and getting approval why you see sort of loose legally distinct adaptation and riffing on these themes instead of going for an actual adaptation?
Yep. Using the aesthetic of a game with a halfway original story is far easier to pitch, because there’s no expectation for entry except what A&D says matters.

Dead By Daylight would definitely be one of those houses that each killer would have their section of the house and have it decorated into their respective maps and hunting certain survivors from the game that they are tied with, I could see them going that route and basically putting you as one of the survivors trying to get through all the madness.

RE coming back would be interesting, RE7 definitely shows it could be a really good house, RE 2 and RE 3 really stood out as really cool remakes and I mean as much as I want another RE house, I mean I'd probably would only want 7 since we already had RE 2 and 3 in Escape From Raccoon City in 2013. It sucks we can't have something like Japan where it could be an interactive scarezone and they give us laser guns and we could shoot zombies and also do battle with Nemesis, they could put it in New York and have the wall projectors especially one for RCPD it would work well as a zone.

Bioshock, I mean Saws N Steams and the aesthetics in the Vanity are the only things we will have atm to come close to it, I mean not saying it wouldn't make a great house but I feel like Universal could see it as something they could take inspiration from and make their own original of it you know what I mean, although I would love to see Rapture and the Splicers and of course the Big Daddy and Little Sisters in a house one day.

DOOM, would be a killer house, killer characters, killer scenes and a killer soundtrack, everything that comes to mind when I think of Doom as a house, it would be tremendous house to go through, a lot of stuff they could bring to life from the IMPs to Cyberdemon and many more, it would be so cool.

Last edited:
Posted this in the “Make your own HHN Thread” but here’s a video of Japan doing Re2 as a maze:

Now I know it’s a low chance that they COULD do it, but perhaps they can learn something from here? (Minus the screens).

Let me know if this isn’t okay but I didn’t want to start a new thread as I don’t think we need another chat about this. I thought this would be interesting to see what the general consensus is:

No. Should take the year off. HHN is made to be a spreader event.

Unless the thing completely dies off in the summer (unlikely), it's not the kind of event that should happen.
Exactly this.

Bioshock would definitely be an all timer house if it ever came. The sets would be massive and there’s so much variety in the splicers and monsters in Rapture.

I’m surprised they haven’t gone after more video games lately, Bioshock’s stayed relevant and more games are getting popular. Still not TV tier but RE7/2 and Bioshock are easily more popular than KKFOS.

Seeing a free roaming Big Daddy would beat Frankenstein from last year for shock and awe.

I'd love to see someone like Naughty Dog do a version of The Last of Us. Given the partnership with Sony last year for Ghostbusters, it seems like there would be a pathway of sorts there.

I think that with the HBO series coming, TLoU has become inordinately more likely.

I would love to see the Sander Cohen scene of the piano playing and him trying torture us to dance to his music and seeing all of his past victims around us, some as jumpscares and stuff, it would work out so well to have him featured in the house in someway.

As The Last Of Us, I wouldn't doubt they'll get to seek their teeth into because they will have property that could maybe balance with half of it on the game and possibly half on the show unless they stick to show's content. As long as we get a few scenes with Clickers lurking about everywhere, Seeds with the planet creatures resembling the clickers really got me hyped for that house, I hope fingers cross the property comes to the event in the future.

Reactions: londonwerecat
Show has to come out first, and HBO/Time Warner has to agree to letting Universal use it.

Kind of iffy given last year’s GoT debacle :(

I feel that you could make an entire year based solely off of video game adaptations

Doom, Bioshock, TLoU, PT/Silent Hill(s), Prey, Control, FEAR. Heck, you could probably make a Halo house work if you leaned into the Flood.

It’s a WB I know, but Mortal Kombat anyone? The game seems pretty simple to understand. Different maps with just two characters fighting. That’s it. You don’t have to play hours of the story to figure out every scene. Most of their characters can work as horror: Scorpion, Reptile, Noob, Baraka, Shang Tsung, and more. Plus a movie is on its way soon so they could look at that, but I bet WB would save that for later.

Reactions: Living Dead Dude
Serious question here. What's the difference between someone not knowing about a video game/movie IP, and not knowing an original house? Isn't the concept the same as far as having to sell the audience on it? Not trying to be smart or anything.

Reactions: DannyPowers
Serious question here. What's the difference between someone not knowing about a video game/movie IP, and not knowing an original house? Isn't the concept the same as far as having to sell the audience on it? Not trying to be smart or anything.
They have to pay for the video games licensing rights. If it's not gonna bring in any money then why spend money to obtain the rights?

Bioshock would definitely be an all timer house if it ever came. The sets would be massive and there’s so much variety in the splicers and monsters in Rapture.

I’m surprised they haven’t gone after more video games lately, Bioshock’s stayed relevant and more games are getting popular. Still not TV tier but RE7/2 and Bioshock are easily more popular than KKFOS.
At the very least, a Saws N Steam sequel is needed

I thought Depths of Fear was going to deliver in the Bioshock-esque arena, but it didn't

It’s a WB I know, but Mortal Kombat anyone? The game seems pretty simple to understand. Different maps with just two characters fighting. That’s it. You don’t have to play hours of the story to figure out every scene. Most of their characters can work as horror: Scorpion, Reptile, Noob, Baraka, Shang Tsung, and more. Plus a movie is on its way soon so they could look at that, but I bet WB would save that for later.
Great now I wanna see sub zero spine rip in a house lol

They have to pay for the video games licensing rights. If it's not gonna bring in any money then why spend money to obtain the rights?
as well, with a video game they may have to go through intense negotiations where they can only use particular things. With an original property, they only work within and don't have to worry about getting things constantly checked over by a 3rd party.

Reactions: CoopF22
Status
Not open for further replies.