The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 282 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 2 video game houses weren’t too well received but I also think there wasn’t much effort put into them due to different circumstances. RE2/RE7 could be decent draws that fit, and Dead by Daylight is getting popular.
i enjoyed the first resident evil house they did, but i agree that they were going for more of an action house than a horror house. if they focused on one game instead of trying to do a mashup, it could work really well.

as much as i like dead by daylight, i’m not sure how it could work as a house. you’ve got the characters (that aren’t licensed already) and the lore, but trying to build a haunt around it has me stuck. would each scene be a different character hunting you? and if so, how can we fit all the original characters into a six-seven minute house?

Ok I think we’ve milked this convo enough.
Hey at least it's not the 'rona, right? lol

The first 2 video game houses weren’t too well received but I also think there wasn’t much effort put into them due to different circumstances. RE2/RE7 could be decent draws that fit, and Dead by Daylight is getting popular.
With the success of the Resident Evil remakes I think the IP is ripe for another try. RE7 would be an absolutely terrifying house.

I see a TON of people that want to see Bioshock at the event as well.

Hey at least it's not the 'rona, right? lol

With the success of the Resident Evil remakes I think the IP is ripe for another try. RE7 would be an absolutely terrifying house.

There are so many video game houses that have great potential! Personally I would die for the last of us house or doom!!

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
There are so many video game houses that have great potential! Personally I would die for the last of us house or doom!!
Last of Us would be outstanding as well. Even though the RE and Silent Hill houses weren't very popular, I definitely don't think that should scare them from trying video games again. There's a TON of great horror games out there that would translate perfectly to a house.

It was still to boost attendance. My point stands.
Yes! I wasn't trying to discredit your point.

HHN used to keep Universal in the black and it would be a boost to whatever park it was in (see: dual park event in 2004)

At the moment, HHN is certainly an attendance booster, but attendance is healthy at both parks.

I miss the IOA days for sure, I'm not sure it could work over there anymore even with a dual park situation

Especially now

Last of Us would be outstanding as well. Even though the RE and Silent Hill houses weren't very popular, I definitely don't think that should scare them from trying video games again. There's a TON of great horror games out there that would translate perfectly to a house.
I’m hoping GoT didn’t ruin the relationship with HHN Incase the last of us show turns out to be a huge hit!

I've wanted to see a Bioshock house since I first started playing that game and since they did Depths of Fear and Vanity Ball last year, I honestly thought they were testing out themes of underwater settings and bodily enhancements, stuff that could possibly relate to Bioshock.

Bioshock would definitely be an all timer house if it ever came. The sets would be massive and there’s so much variety in the splicers and monsters in Rapture.

I’m surprised they haven’t gone after more video games lately, Bioshock’s stayed relevant and more games are getting popular. Still not TV tier but RE7/2 and Bioshock are easily more popular than KKFOS.

I've wanted to see a Bioshock house since I first started playing that game and since they did Depths of Fear and Vanity Ball last year, I honestly thought they were testing out themes of underwater settings and bodily enhancements, stuff that could possibly relate to Bioshock.
100% agree

Bioshock would definitely be an all timer house if it ever came. The sets would be massive and there’s so much variety in the splicers and monsters in Rapture.

I’m surprised they haven’t gone after more video games lately, Bioshock’s stayed relevant and more games are getting popular. Still not TV tier but RE7/2 and Bioshock are easily more popular than KKFOS.
Definitely. As much as I love KKFOS, RE or Bioshock would definitely draw more people to the event than that.

Ever since the Nintendo deal went down I've wanted to see Luigi's Mansion as well.

Saws and Steam: Into the Machine riffed on Bioshock’s aesthetics with the Art Deco motif and a “Big Daddy” scare. And while Vanity Ball hewed a lot closer to “Bioshock,” Depths was a completely different thing.

They’d likely put it in a tent. Maybe a parade building (for drainage).

There are a few reasons Universal has done a pure “video game” house. One, the big one, is that video games are a “limited market” compared to movies. While they’re popular, their fan-bases narrow to those who have played the game. As popular as Bioshock is, more people have seen Us. Then, there’s the complication of getting an IP approved by management.

Let’s say A&D is proposing KKfOS and Bioshock to someone who has not seen or played either for approval. The approver can go home, take two hours, and just watch KKfOS. They could watch a full play through (8-12 hours) assuming they can even stomach watching someone else play an FPS (I rarely can). Or, they can play it themselves, assuming they have a console for it, but that is still a much bigger time commitment than a movie. And sure, A&D can put together a sizzle reel, but that doesn’t address potential questions the approver may have.

That’s the reason, I believe, Silent Hill and Resident Evil are the only video game movies they’ve done; they both have movies for the approvers to watch to get a full sense of the IP. Similarly with a TV show. A&D can say, “watch these 2-4 episodes.”

Saws and Steam: Into the Machine riffed on Bioshock’s aesthetics with the Art Deco motif and a “Big Daddy” scare. And while Vanity Ball hewed a lot closer to “Bioshock,” Depths was a completely different thing.

They’d likely put it in a tent. Maybe a parade building (for drainage).

There are a few reasons Universal has done a pure “video game” house. One, the big one, is that video games are a “limited market” compared to movies. While they’re popular, their fan-bases narrow to those who have played the game. As popular as Bioshock is, more people have seen Us. Then, there’s the complication of getting an IP approved by management.

Let’s say A&D is proposing KKfOS and Bioshock to someone who has not seen or played either for approval. The approver can go home, take two hours, and just watch KKfOS. They could watch a full play through (8-12 hours) assuming they can even stomach watching someone else play an FPS (I rarely can). Or, they can play it themselves, assuming they have a console for it, but that is still a much bigger time commitment than a movie. And sure, A&D can put together a sizzle reel, but that doesn’t address potential questions the approver may have.

That’s the reason, I believe, Silent Hill and Resident Evil are the only video game movies they’ve done; they both have movies for the approvers to watch to get a full sense of the IP. Similarly with a TV show. A&D can say, “watch these 2-4 episodes.”

Just addressing that last point, and I mostly agree with what you’ve put here anyways (I’ve long accepted it will take multiple Hail Maries for any kind of video game house to come to HHN again), but in the same vein of watching 2-4 episodes of a TV Show, could an approver (along with said sizzle reel) not play 1-2 hours of a horror video game (or watch that same game for the same time) to get the “feel” along with said sizzle reel?

Regarding video games, they should try doing The Witcher. If they did Silent Hill and Resident Evil because of their movies, they might as well watch a few episodes of The Witcher and get an understanding.

Reactions: Living Dead Dude
Just addressing that last point, and I mostly agree with what you’ve put here anyways (I’ve long accepted it will take multiple Hail Maries for any kind of video game house to come to HHN again), but in the same vein of watching 2-4 episodes of a TV Show, could an approver (along with said sizzle reel) not play 1-2 hours of a horror video game (or watch that same game for the same time) to get the “feel” along with said sizzle reel?
The requirement is different. Video games are active, and modern game controls are confusing if you’re not familiar with them. If the approver isn’t a gamer (considering most of them are late forties to sixties, it’s more likely), you’re asking them to not just learn a game, but learn gaming. And while it’s possible they can do it, it complicates the view of the game itself. It’s entirely possible Bioshock could get refused because a VP couldn’t figure how to invert the controls. Never mind that they first couple of hours of these games amount to, maybe, a third of the total product.

Movies and TV shows are entirely passive, which means anyone can access them. And, in regards to The Witcher, its existence as a TV show (and on Netflix) does increase the possibility it could show up.

And A&D doesn’t have time to parse through 8-20 hours of a video game to put together a sizzle reel. If an approver hadn’t seen Hill House, they could watch the basement, storm, and funeral home episodes and see almost everything they need to see to know the show could work as a house.

The requirement is different. Video games are active, and modern game controls are confusing if you’re not familiar with them. If the approver isn’t a gamer (considering most of them are late forties to sixties, it’s more likely), you’re asking them to not just learn a game, but learn gaming. And while it’s possible they can do it, it complicates the view of the game itself. It’s entirely possible Bioshock could get refused because a VP couldn’t figure how to invert the controls. Never mind that they first couple of hours of these games amount to, maybe, a third of the total product.

Movies and TV shows are entirely passive, which means anyone can access them. And, in regards to The Witcher, its existence as a TV show (and on Netflix) does increase the possibility it could show up.

And A&D doesn’t have time to parse through 8-20 hours of a video game to put together a sizzle reel. If an approver hadn’t seen Hill House, they could watch the basement, storm, and funeral home episodes and see almost everything they need to see to know the show could work as a house.

Given the popularity of "lets plays" nowadays it seems like it would be a lot easier to cut together a 1-2 hour long rough "movie" of the game itself, especially with developers helping.

I'd love to see someone like Naughty Dog do a version of The Last of Us. Given the partnership with Sony last year for Ghostbusters, it seems like there would be a pathway of sorts there.

Given the popularity of "lets plays" nowadays it seems like it would be a lot easier to cut together a 1-2 hour long rough "movie" of the game itself, especially with developer help.
Except IPs have to receive an initial approval before they approach rights owners for the pitch. And, again, you’re asking non-gamers to watch a 2 hour “Let’s Play.” A lot of gamers, myself included, can’t sit through a Let’s Play video.

There are generational differences that, for the foreseeable future, make a pure video game IP inordinately tricky to get approved.

I think the issues with turning a video game are some of the same you get with wanting to turn them into films: they're just too long and too much of an interactive experience to turn them easily into a condensed version of themselves. Video games are (mostly) marathons that could feature up to a dozen big set pieces outside of the more intricate, minuscule lore bits and bobs built into the game. Could you take a Bioshock or Resident Evil 7 and turn it into a house? Probably. Why would you want truncate a 10+ hour experience into 10 minutes though?

I say this as someone who adore storytelling video games and horror games in particular: they're best in their own medium and until they make the jump to film or series, it's going to be an awfully hard sell. It'd be easier to pitch a single set piece from a video game than an entire game. I'd be all in for a Half-Life: Terrors of Black Mesa house myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.