The Ride System Thread | Inside Universal Forums

The Ride System Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

GA-MBIT

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2017
Isle Delfino
Alternate Thread Title; What is, and what isn't, a SCOOP? :lmao:

I very often see ride systems catagorized with specific terms by fans, with the most common verbage being to label attractions as "SCOOP's" or using a "Modified SCOOP system". This feels like a side of theme park discussion that has more unknowns than most.

What exactly is a SCOOP? Was Spider-Man IoA the first to use it? How much can the system be changed for the system to still fall into the category? Are there ride systems thought to be using that system that are actually another?

And for other ride systems, what kinds of crazy ride systems are out there that haven't been used in a major ride? Are there any ride systems that are close to extinction? How should ride system classifications be made?

I feel like there is some discussion to be had here! Excited to see how everyone might take this.

I’m curious to see what the Ministry ride does to this thread. It seems to be different, but same to the SCOOP. I bet in 2 years this is most popular thread here.

I’m curious to see what the Ministry ride does to this thread. It seems to be different, but same to the SCOOP. I bet in 2 years this is most popular thread here.
The Harry Potter e-ticket system is manufactured by simtec, it has the degrees of freedom of movement you’d recognize with Spider-Man, but can extend and rise into the air. But that’s describing the underlying mechanics.
The actual ride vehicle looks like an elevator shaft/box where guests will say it reminds them of tower of terror, with 2 rows of seating,,

The Harry Potter e-ticket system is manufactured by simtec, it has the degrees of freedom of movement you’d recognize with Spider-Man, but can extend and rise into the air. But that’s describing the underlying mechanics.
The actual ride vehicle looks like an elevator shaft/box where guests will say it reminds them of tower of terror, with 2 rows of seating,,
Dear god give this to me now.

The “SCOOP” ride system, named after the in-story name of its first public use in the Spider-Man ride, is a dark ride (read - indoor) system where the ride platform (what guests ride on) is attached to a single-point gimbal. This allows the programming of tilting, rocking, rotation, and shifting of the ride platform itself in concert with the forward/backward movement of the vehicle along the ride track.

Disney’s Indy ride system does not utilize a gimbal and thus cannot spin horizontally. It can only bounce and tilt along the track.

Despite a Scoop and Kuka-Arm providing similar physical experiences for guests, the mechanics are drastically different. There are the obvious elements, such the arm adding a vertical axis of movement for in the platform. But, as the Kuka is a multi-jointed articulated arm, its radius is drastically larger than a SCOOP. That means horizontal rotations require clever positioning of the arm and spins are not really possible.

In a video where @Alicia was discussing the destination D23 announcements said the Potter E ticket can extend up to 12 feet in the air. Is that correct? Either way this sounds way better than the original trackless version.

In a video where @Alicia was discussing the destination D23 announcements said the Potter E ticket can extend up to 12 feet in the air. Is that correct? Either way this sounds way better than the original trackless version.
Accurate.

It’s like if the Scoop ride vehicle looked like Tower of Terror seating on the Star Tours motion base on wheels.

Sounds right to me. It’s a massive RV. Just the motion base towers over the entire spiderMan/transformers RV
Accurate.

It’s like if the Scoop ride vehicle looked like Tower of Terror seating on the Star Tours motion base on wheels.
Ride vehicles alone make this sound like it will be the flagship ride at EU. Exciting to see if the tech of this version of the SCOOP trickles down to future rides.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Just for clarity, "RV" in this context refers to "ride vehicle", correct?

And goodness, that MoM vehicle sounds like an absolute beast! Incredibly excited to be able to experience something like that in-person within the next two years.

What simulator system does Fallon at USF use? It feels and looks different from either BTTF/Simpsons or DMMM, and honestly feels more like an open air Star Tours-type system than anything. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has insights into the workings of that one and if anything like it exists elsewhere.

What simulator system does Fallon at USF use? It feels and looks different from either BTTF/Simpsons or DMMM, and honestly feels more like an open air Star Tours-type system than anything. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has insights into the workings of that one and if anything like it exists elsewhere.
I believe it’s the same system used for the motion simulator at BGW, the one that got converted to have VR.

I believe it’s the same system used for the motion simulator at BGW, the one that got converted to have VR.
I have found memories of going to BGW when I was younger and doing both forms of the simulator as Europe in The Air and Battle of Eire. As of 2023, it appears BG has no plans to replace it with anything really.

Just for clarity, "RV" in this context refers to "ride vehicle", correct?

And goodness, that MoM vehicle sounds like an absolute beast! Incredibly excited to be able to experience something like that in-person within the next two years.

Pretty sure Fallon/Simpsons is the same idea, Fallon is just modernized/newer so it's less janky.

Pretty sure Fallon/Simpsons is the same idea, Fallon is just modernized/newer so it's less janky.
BGW was a really rough simulator, in all the incarnations that I rode it. If I remember the story correctly, when they first tested the Fallon ride, reports were that it actually shook the building, and subsequently they toned it down. Fallon is actually pretty smooth, and so much calmer than the BGW version ever was.