The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW) | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Disney has a sound business plan to combat Universal. Raise prices and...

Ok, 12% of a plan.

TWELVE PERCENT?!

guardians-of-the-galaxy-fake-laugh-rocket-raccoon-laughing-14078001160.gif

Well new monorails won't boost anything unless they significantly raise rates on the monorail loop because of the "new and improved monorail". That's why they haven't done it though - it provides little ROI.

I don't know, think of it as the reverse of FastPass. There are days it takes the better part of an hour to get to MK. That's time that probably cuts into shopping and store browsing more than riding. More efficient monorails with higher capacity means happier guests with an extra 15 minutes in their day.

(At the very least, I'm assuming these monorails won't (1) break down several times a day, and (2) be flush with the station to eliminate the need for wheelchair ramps. Both are time-savers. Any addition in capacity or speed would be a cherry on top.)

Reactions: Nick
I don't know, think of it as the reverse of FastPass. There are days it takes the better part of an hour to get to MK. That's time that probably cuts into shopping and store browsing more than riding. More efficient monorails with higher capacity means happier guests with an extra 15 minutes in their day.

(At the very least, I'm assuming these monorails won't (1) break down several times a day, and (2) be flush with the station to eliminate the need for wheelchair ramps. Both are time-savers. Any addition in capacity or speed would be a cherry on top.)

It's infrastructure, infrastructure doesn't need ROI justification. You don't add and repair roads based on ROI.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It's infrastructure, infrastructure doesn't need ROI justification. You don't add and repair roads based on ROI.
The issue is that’s not how Disney thinks of things. The infrastructure improvements that came with MM+ had to be justified with ROI for goodness sakes.

The issue is that’s not how Disney thinks of things. The infrastructure improvements that came with MM+ had to be justified with ROI for goodness sakes.

Yet the changes made for 9/11 and upcoming security upgrades aren't. Uptime, repair costs, etc do play a factor in it besides "how much stuff will people buy".

Yet the changes made for 9/11 and upcoming security upgrades aren't. Uptime, repair costs, etc do play a factor in it besides "how much stuff will people buy".
Trust me, I’m not defending 30 year old monorails behind the need for a ROI.

I’m just saying that’s how the company tends to run and hell, that’s how we got to this point of having monorails this old. They’ve been too cheap to replace the fleet.

I just hope they act fast enough to get ahead of any more door issues before something tragic or catastrophic happens. Better that they appear proactive, rather than reactive.
If that incident wasn’t the straw that broke the camels back I don’t know what will. That had to have been a huge wake up call and they’re lucky there was no deaths.

I like Bob, lots of great stories from friends.

I also think he has no idea what’s going on. Smell test: why would anyone not working at TWDC know about contracts?

Reactions: Alicia
I like Bob, lots of great stories from friends.

I also think he has no idea what’s going on. Smell test: why would anyone not working at TWDC know about contracts?

Considering he designed the original ones, it could be that Disney asked him to provide a sketch of a more modernized train.

Considering he designed the original ones, it could be that Disney asked him to provide a sketch of a more modernized train.

Ok, so why would he know anything about contracts and manufacturers? This is NDA stuff, one doesn't talk about contracts worth possibly hundreds of millions of dollars if they know anything.

Ok, so why would he know anything about contracts and manufacturers? This is NDA stuff, one doesn't talk about contracts worth possibly hundreds of millions of dollars if they know anything.
True, but at this point, Bob Gurr also has very little to lose. He's almost 90.