The State of Epcot | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I think many people don't understand nowadays is that the people involved with approving attractions and such could care less about theme or breaking it. They simply are looking at GSAT numbers and if they see that something is scoring extraordinarily low, it's put on the list to be possibly removed/updated.

They are thinking nothing about theme when approving these rides (Rat, GotG)... it's simply about synergy and what I like to call the "Iger-effect". The only thing they care about is getting these properties into the parks somehow... they could care less where or which park they end up in because they know people will show up and that they will be popular.

I'm aware of all this. They're still going to pay lip-service to the idea of GOTG being a fit (just like they did with Frozen Ever After), and I'm going to be amused (and irritated) to see how they halfheartedly attempt to do that.

As for World Showcase - Norway as a country wanted Frozen and would have had their pavilion burnt to the ground than remain how it was with Maelstrom.

I find it more offensive that Canada still portrays the cast at lumberjacks - something the country has said repeatedly it finds offensive.

So if France wants Rat (they do) and if Brazil wants their entire pavilion built of soccer balls (they seriously might) then that's what I approve of going there.

Many of the pavilions keep their tastes what we would consider "classy" but not every culture is the same. Visit a large art festival with country sponsored pavilions. You quickly learn not everyone agrees on what is high art. But it's theirs and what they want and how they want to be seen.

The two countries where Americans made the decisions in World Showcase are Mexico and Canada. Mexico has grown though and is fine with their pavilion. Canada still doesn't like theirs.

And politically, the biggest reason Rat is beating out BatB at France is because the pavilion is mostly run by the Chefs des France - a culinary group of well respected French chefs.

Obviously they're going to like Rat concept - especially if they can't have and control the Be Our Guest restaraunt.

I'm aware of all this. They're still going to pay lip-service to the idea of GOTG being a fit (just like they did with Frozen Ever After), and I'm going to be amused (and irritated) to see how they halfheartedly attempt to do that.
I wasn't speaking to you in my response as much as the fandom in general.

Reactions: Alicia
And politically, the biggest reason Rat is beating out BatB at France is because the pavilion is mostly run by the Chefs des France - a culinary group of well respected French chefs.

Obviously they're going to like Rat concept - especially if they can't have and control the Be Our Guest restaraunt.
I've heard Rat is only winning because they want a ride that will be open by the time SWL opens to help relieve WS of overcrowding.

Rat can accomplish that. BATB can't.

As for World Showcase - Norway as a country wanted Frozen and would have had their pavilion burnt to the ground than remain how it was with Maelstrom.

I find it more offensive that Canada still portrays the cast at lumberjacks - something the country has said repeatedly it finds offensive.

So if France wants Rat (they do) and if Brazil wants their entire pavilion built of soccer balls (they seriously might) then that's what I approve of going there.

Many of the pavilions keep their tastes what we would consider "classy" but not every culture is the same. Visit a large art festival with country sponsored pavilions. You quickly learn not everyone agrees on what is high art. But it's theirs and what they want and how they want to be seen.

The two countries where Americans made the decisions in World Showcase are Mexico and Canada. Mexico has grown though and is fine with their pavilion. Canada still doesn't like theirs.
My understanding was Norway refused to pay anymore for the pavilion so Disney put Frozen in there as they threatened to do.

In their defense, Ellen is an IP overlay in the first place. So there is a chance it could actually work.

Is there a chance? I guess there's always a chance. But a realistic one? I think it's incredibly doubtful that the GOTG attraction ends up being anything other than a thrill ride that could be equally at home in Hollywood Studios or Tomorrowland without changing anything. If there's even a tip of the hat to an "edutainment" concept, I'll be very surprised. I hope to be surprised, but I'm not expecting to be.

My understanding was Norway refused to pay anymore for the pavilion so Disney put Frozen in there as they threatened to do.

Norway was literally like "No... don't... stop..." like Willy Wonka. They knew they'd have the most popular pavilion in the Showcase and a little bit of leaking the public backlash made Disney retain it as Norway and not change it to a broader Scandinavia pavilion.

Is there a chance? I guess there's always a chance. But a realistic one? I think it's incredibly doubtful that the GOTG attraction ends up being anything other than a thrill ride that could be equally at home in Hollywood Studios or Tomorrowland without changing anything. If there's even a tip of the hat to an "edutainment" concept, I'll be very surprised. I hope to be surprised, but I'm not expecting to be.

I dont think as Energy it would work - but maybe as a space or exploration pavilion, certainly.

I dont think as Energy it would work - but maybe as a space or exploration pavilion, certainly.

I'm of the belief that the Imagineers, with all their creativity, could make almost any I.P. tie-in fit with what we classically think of as Epcot. I just question whether there's the desire to make that effort.

The Guardians could absolutely be part of a space pavilion under the right circumstances and with the right approach... but Mission: Space is right next door.

Reactions: Alicia
They can create something amazing and then the penny pinchers get involved and you end up with Frozen shoehorned into Maelstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.