The State of Epcot | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From wiki:

Flat rides are usually considered to be those that move their passengers in a plane generally parallel to the ground, such as rides that spin around a vertical axis, like carousels and twists, and ground level rides such as bumper cars and The Whip.​
ugh.. i hate carni rides

Would flat boat rides be considered flat rides? Like it's a small world? Or the GMR?

What's the definition of a flat ride? I'm thinking it means something that doesn't have lift hills but from everyone's comments it seems something like a carni ride?
I feel like the fan community treats flat rides as any ride that comes off-the-shelf (like carnival rides) that Disney/Universal/whoever can then build theming around.

I feel like the fan community treats flat rides as any ride that comes off-the-shelf (like carnival rides) that Disney/Universal/whoever can then build theming around.

It's not the off-the-shelf factor for me, I just can't go on rides that go in circles. Carousels make me puke, as do ferris wheels.

Fun fact: George Ferris was a brother in my fraternity (Rensselaer Society of Engineers)

This project is getting weird. If it's not going to be a dark ride, a Mary Poppins themed carousel makes total sense, far more sense than any other flat ride concept I could possibly conceive of. It was in the movie!

And if it's not Poppins themed, what else? BRAVE? What kind of flat ride would fit that?

And throughout all of this, Martin appears kind of high on project? Odd!

Reactions: Quint and Alicia
This project is getting weird. If it's not going to be a dark ride, a Mary Poppins themed carousel makes total sense, far more sense than any other flat ride concept I could possibly conceive of. It was in the movie!

And if it's not Poppins themed, what else? BRAVE? What kind of flat ride would fit that?

And throughout all of this, Martin appears kind of high on project? Odd!
Poppins isn't ruled off the table, there are just other options being looked along with it. I wouldn't be opposed to a small Pooh ride and then rip out the Pooh ride in MK for something better tbh.

As for Brave... it was Pixar's least successful film and takes place in Scotland, which may leave the UK in the near future. It would be a bit risky to put a Scottish IP in the UK pavilion when Scotland may not even be a part of the UK for much longer.

Poppins isn't ruled off the table, there are just other options being looked along with it. I wouldn't be opposed to a small Pooh ride and then rip out the Pooh ride in MK for something better tbh.

Pooh could work, though I don't see Disney sacrificing a dark ride in another park in exchange for a flat ride.

I've decided in my head canon that it's a Poppins swing themed to Feed the Birds and when it rotates it's around St Marks and you ride in a bird-looking seat and when it raises up you can see the bird lady. And it of course plays the song as it goes around.

I've decided in my head canon that it's a Poppins swing themed to Feed the Birds and when it rotates it's around St Marks and you ride in a bird-looking seat and when it raises up you can see the bird lady. And it of course plays the song as it goes around.
Great. Now that's stuck in my head. Thanks a lot.

Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag

Reactions: JoeCamel
Really trying to avoid going back to WDWTragic ... any rumor where this would go within the pavilion? The back courtyard? Can't see a flat ride not sticking out like a sore thumb anywhere else.

Really trying to avoid going back to WDWTragic ... any rumor where this would go within the pavilion? The back courtyard? Can't see a flat ride not sticking out like a sore thumb anywhere else.

qwchnxT.jpg

I believe the general thinking is it would go somewhere in that crescent-shaped barrier of trees separating the pavilion and the service road, with the service road potentially being rerouted a bit.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I assumed it would go in that courtyard and where the stage is and they would just cut the entertainment.

I assumed it would go in that courtyard and where the stage is and they would just cut the entertainment.

Same here. I assumed at least half of that plaza/courtyard area would be taken by the attraction building.
As I stated above, there is a few acres of expansion space behind where the band plays, so it would be an expansion of the courtyard.

The band would stay because they help generate a lot in booze sales. They may need to alter their performance location, but the band is very likely safe.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.