The State of Epcot | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's sad is that classic Epcot Center can return to Future World. It could even be done with the use of IPs (thematically-appropriate ones). However, TDO won't be rational about including movies/TV shows into Epcot.

1. Remake of Adventures Through Inner Space, a Cranium Command-style show themed to Inside Out and a 'Making of Me'-style show themed to Baymax as a WoL revival
  2. A Muppet Labs replacement for Universe of Energy (hosted by Bunsen & Beaker, focuses on teaching about the general areas of science: chemistry, physics, astronomy, zoology, biology, engineering, etc.)
  3. Imagination pavilion revived with a new trackless Figment/Dreamfinder dark ride and a new show in the Magic Eye Theater showing how the combination of imagination and knowledge throughout history have helped (and can still help) pave the way to new horizons (essentially an imagination-centric tribute to Horizons)
  4. Innoventions West replaced with an EPCOT Museum (from Walt's initial idea to present day)
  5. Innoventions East replaced with a new quick-service restaurant
  6. Mission: Space overhauled (randomization, 4K graphics, real interactivity, planetarium show hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson built between new WoL and current M:S)
  7. Spaceship Earth revamped with Morgan Freeman narrating, brand-new AAs and an actual finale.
  8. Seas pavilion redone as the Marine Life Institute (the dark ride now focusing on Mr. Ray taking his class on a 'field trip' through the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, Indian Ocean and Arctic Ocean)
  9. General updates to Living With the Land and a Circle of Life replacement (no clue what a good replacement would be)
  10. Weather-themed pavilion with an EMV dark ride placing guests into simulations of tornadoes, hurricanes, snowstorms, earthquakes, etc. (between Land and Seas)
While World Showcase isn't in bad shape (just needs more attractions like the Rat clone and UK attraction planned in the near future), Future World needs that level of TLC.

Meaning 'MK for grown ups' is likely to be Epcot's fate.
Wow, this is all thoroughly well thought out and I like every single idea in your list... especially Morgan Freeman.

Just spitballing here, but I wonder if a GOTG coaster without the actual characters would work? Use the GOTG name, and have Star Lord's space ship and maybe use the actors voices without actually saying their names. It should satisfy the terms of the contract, but not sure if it would be worth it to do a ride that way,

Ellen was better than the original Universe of Energy.

But it lost some of the neater special effects - like the mirrors and the rotating screens. Also, people commonly believe that Ellen's 45min length is how the ride system is designed. It's not. The original show was about 9 minutes shorter.
Why is the new one longer?

The script. The original version of the script was even longer. The lightbulb Ellen gives Einstein is a remnant of a removed sequence where Ellen makes a pit stop in her dream to see her mother, played by Betty White, and picks up the bulb.
Always wondered about that bit. I can't believe they made the show so long when they didn't even have to.

The park didn't need the hourly capacity - both Horizons and World of Motion were open and running around 3000 guests an hour.
I miss well themed omnimovers in Epcot. At least there's still Spaceship Earth. But I even miss the AT&T ending with extra show scenes jammed in. I'm not a fan of the interactive screens.

I usually enjoy and agree with your posts, whilst I did enjoy this I do have to disagree to some extent.

The original mission statement by Walt was indeed to built his futuristic city. As we all know Walt passed on and his vision never came to fruition. Walts idea didn't die completely and his dream was kept alive in the incarnation we have today, kinda.

Anyways, although the original mission statement died with Walt, EPCOT did get a dedication plaque.

So even though I agree that the park doesn't follow Walt's vision of Epcot I still think they should stay true to the dedication, this is was made Epcot great and so different.

Yes it is a shame to see what has become of the place, especially future world, and I do agree that I would rather see it change that stagnate anymore, but not by unimaginatively shoe horning IP after IP into any nook and cranny of the place, especially when there's enough land there to hold all the ideas and plans they could possibly imagine :).
Walt's original "vision" (the domed city) was nearly a pie-in-the-sky backdrop designed by John Hence for a film that would be shown to Florida State Legislators to make the push for Reedy Creek Improvement District. It was never actually intended to be shown publicly. However it was one of (if not the) last film Walt made before he died so someone decided to show it on the Disney TV show. Imagineers were horrified because literally no actual planning had gone into EPCOT at this point. Once they started researching they realized it was impossible. Once people started living there. the E, P and T would be gone. (As someone pointed out, you can't really go experimenting on people's lives. What if the prototype failed?) However, as John Hench one said "We're all haunted by that goddam painting"

Walt's original "vision" (the domed city) was nearly a pie-in-the-sky backdrop designed by John Hence for a film that would be shown to Florida State Legislators to make the push for Reedy Creek Improvement District. It was never actually intended to be shown publicly. However it was one of (if not the) last film Walt made before he died so someone decided to show it on the Disney TV show. Imagineers were horrified because literally no actual planning had gone into EPCOT at this point. Once they started researching they realized it was impossible. Once people started living there. the E, P and T would be gone. (As someone pointed out, you can't really go experimenting on people's lives. What if the prototype failed?) However, as John Hench one said "We're all haunted by that goddam painting"
There were years of planning that went into the concept of EPCOT. It wasn't just a ploy to get RCID approved. Without EPCOT there was no need whatsoever to purchase 43 square miles of land. Also a "domed city" was never part of the concept.

There were years of planning that went into the concept of EPCOT. It wasn't just a ploy to get RCID approved. Without EPCOT there was no need whatsoever to purchase 43 square miles of land. Also a "domed city" was never part of the concept.
The years of planning was AFTER the film was done. Thats when they determined a permanent city was impractical in terms of being experimental and/or prototype. The film I described was indeed filmed for a presentation for the Florida Legislature concerning RCID. However what most people think EPCOT was supposed to be is that painting. But all that was window dressing for the presentation. At that point very little research into the city itself had been done.

Reactions: SeventyOne
What would be the point of EPCOT if they just take out the original vision? Each park has a theme. Magic Kingdom being magical (self explanatory) and to show various lands revolving around a common interesting setting, MGM being to show you and include you in the magic of cinema, and Animal Kingdom being about nature while also teaching to have respect for the Earth. EPCOT was about what the future holds, about how to appreciate and love the current world, and the countries in it. With the recent addition (and sort of success) of Frozen, along with the closing of attractions that once held the original themes of EPCOT, we start to see more and more IP heavy attractions. Now these are fine, but they're really not fitting what EPCOT is. So as we see the change of EPCOT (which is ultimately it's purpose is to evolve and change) what will EPCOT's theme be?

The years of planning was AFTER the film was done. Thats when they determined a permanent city was impractical in terms of being experimental and/or prototype. The film I described was indeed filmed for a presentation for the Florida Legislature concerning RCID. However what most people think EPCOT was supposed to be is that painting. But all that was window dressing for the presentation. At that point very little research into the city itself had been done.
Much of the design of the city portion had already been worked out prior to 1964. They certainly had already purchased the land prior to the film being made. There was a big shift two month after the film was made, not because they had figured out it wouldn't work but because Walt Disney had died. Roy Disney had been quoted as saying that with Walt dead the project was dead. There really was very little planning after that point other than Imagineers trying to leave doors open for it to be added later.

Epcot's real life theme, and it makes lots of money....World Festival Park. Whatever they end up with in the front, Future World, Discovery Land etc. is kind of what the carnival rides are to the Beer houses at Munich's Oktoberfest, just amusement for the money generators.
That's the best explanation. Future World is just the midway for a year-round Oktoberfest.

Chapek and his people don't give a crap about what the theme of any area of the parks is or what a dedication plaque says. They simply are looking at low performing rides based on guest surveys (Energy, Stitch, GMR) and trying to shoehorn IPs in whether they fit or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.