The State of Epcot | Page 64 | Inside Universal Forums

The State of Epcot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2003 there were some rumors Spaceship Earth would be transformed into Time Racers as a thrill ride/roller coaster. I still think that is a good option if Disney (wisely) gets away from "education light" and "future predictions" and gets into exciting rides and fun (and more movie ip's to boost sales).
Seriously this dark ride has been there sinds 1982. After 35 years we all had enough time to see how communication came to be. Because it's old doesn't mean it's a classic. It's a boring lesson in an exciting shell. Put Star Wars in there and replace living seas with Naboo and you have another Star Wars land (I didn't say it would be great although a Jar-Jar Binks shooter ride replacing Nemo would be a win).

I'd love to see the unrelated Fly over CGI and greenhouse borefest together with Honey I Killed Figment being replaced with Evil Kingdom where all animated Disney villains can get their own Magic Kingdom.

Cardealersland could be replaced by Tron (that doesn't need much work). And Centrifuge to Mars, Ellen and Emptytown could become *Marvel(ous) Land (*themed ip restrictions may apply).

Put kiddy rides into BoozeTownFair and we have a great makeover and the new name TPFKAEPCOT.

In 2003 there were some rumors Spaceship Earth would be transformed into Time Racers as a thrill ride/roller coaster. I still think that is a good option if Disney (wisely) gets away from "education light" and "future predictions" and gets into exciting rides and fun (and more movie ip's to boost sales).
Seriously this dark ride has been there sinds 1982. After 35 years we all had enough time to see how communication came to be. Because it's old doesn't mean it's a classic. It's a boring lesson in an exciting shell. Put Star Wars in there and replace living seas with Naboo and you have another Star Wars land (I didn't say it would be great although a Jar-Jar Binks shooter ride replacing Nemo would be a win).

I'd love to see the unrelated Fly over CGI and greenhouse borefest together with Honey I Killed Figment being replaced with Evil Kingdom where all animated Disney villains can get their own Magic Kingdom.

Cardealersland could be replaced by Tron (that doesn't need much work). And Centrifuge to Mars, Ellen and Emptytown could become *Marvel(ous) Land (*themed ip restrictions may apply).

Put kiddy rides into BoozeTownFair and we have a great makeover and the new name TPFKAEPCOT.
The reason Time Racers never happened is because they wanted to put a coaster in a giant geodesic dome and structurally it was completely not feasible.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The reason Time Racers never happened is because they wanted to put a coaster in a giant geodesic dome and structurally it was completely not feasible.
True, and I don't want a coaster in there. Just mentioning that ride was kicked around before and I'd be happy it would be kicked around again.

Not entirely true.. the building sits on what is essentially a table about 1/4 of the way up the sphere (where the legs go in). That supports all the weight, from there the sphere is decorative and hangs from the table or is built up and over it like any other dome.

The interior spiral is to hold up the show sets and ride system - it's not holding up the sphere.

I'm getting the urge to do some kicking of own... :shifty:
The first time I went to WDW I was 21. I worked for 2 month in a boy scout camp in NH via a cultural exchange to pay for the flight from Amsterdam. It was one of my childhood dreams to go to WDW and after serving in the army I decided to realize them. EPCOT Center was the first of the 2 parks I visited and I liked it much more then MK. It was 4 years after the opening and it was a glorious park. Now it's a former shell of itself and it even makes me sad to see it butchered and delipidated. I know business wise this park and it's theme was a bad decision. Just like Tomorrowland it gets old very quick. I welcome a new theme and more creative marvels from Imagineering to enjoy. Theme park rides are like a play or concert, it's there only for that night but you will carry it in your heart forever.

The first time I went to WDW I was 21. I worked for 2 month in a boy scout camp in NH via a cultural exchange to pay for the flight from Amsterdam. It was one of my childhood dreams to go to WDW and after serving in the army I decided to realize them. EPCOT Center was the first of the 2 parks I visited and I liked it much more then MK. It was 4 years after the opening and it was a glorious park. Now it's a former shell of itself and it even makes me sad to see it butchered and delipidated. I know business wise this park and it's theme was a bad decision. Just like Tomorrowland it gets old very quick. I welcome a new theme and more creative marvels from Imagineering to enjoy. Theme park rides are like a play or concert, it's there only for that night but you will carry it in your heart forever.
Nice story. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Joel
Apropos of nothing in particular, here is Martin's updated "Ultimate Tribute" for Horizons...

I imagine the project was intensive, but the effort really pays off, as this is the most complete, exhaustive, thorough look at that majestic, remarkable attraction.

If current Disney management could apply even 20% of the creativity and spirit on display here towards Epcot's forthcoming "revamp," we'd be in terrific shape. Seems unlikely to happen, though! Aside from Ratatouille, I grow less and less optimistic about Epcot's prospects every day.

Apropos of nothing in particular, here is Martin's updated "Ultimate Tribute" for Horizons...

I imagine the project was intensive, but the effort really pays off, as this is the most complete, exhaustive, thorough look at that majestic, remarkable attraction.

If current Disney management could apply even 20% of the creativity and spirit on display here towards Epcot's forthcoming "revamp," we'd be in terrific shape. Seems unlikely to happen, though! Aside from Ratatouille, I grow less and less optimistic about Epcot's prospects every day.

I'm halfway through watching this right this minute. I love Martin's Vids! So very thorough. I'm glad he's been re-editing the Futureworld ones now, such a great time to go through them again.

Reactions: WAJAS and belloq87
I'm halfway through watching this right this minute. I love Martin's Vids! So very thorough. I'm glad he's been re-editing the Futureworld ones now, such a great time to go through them again.

Not being in any way hyperbolic or facetious, I think the work he does on videos like this is absolutely invaluable. I'm lucky enough to have memories of riding Horizons, but others who don't have those in-person memories (as I don't for things like World of Motion and the original Journey into Imagination) can at least get a good sense of what the ride had to offer and can appreciate the feats of engineering and visual storytelling that were involved.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Alicia
Not being in any way hyperbolic or facetious, I think the work he does on videos like this is absolutely invaluable. I'm lucky enough to have memories of riding Horizons, but others who don't have those in-person memories (as I don't for things like World of Motion and the original Journey into Imagination) can at least get a good sense of what the ride had to offer and can appreciate the feats of engineering and visual storytelling that were involved.
When I was younger Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Imagination were my favorite rides. I never wanted to visit World Showcase, just kept going on these over and over. And since they were all omnimovers, the lines were never that long.

Martin's one of the greatest treasures in the theme park community for sure.

When I was younger Spaceship Earth, Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Imagination were my favorite rides. I never wanted to visit World Showcase, just kept going on these over and over. And since they were all omnimovers, the lines were never that long.

Martin's one of the greatest treasures in the theme park community for sure.

It really makes you consider how much Epcot has changed (and not really for the better, in my opinion). It's still my favorite theme park, and we've still got Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The American Adventure, Impressions, and the general atmosphere of World Showcase still (mostly) intact, but Future World has been irrevocably altered in fundamental ways. The long-form, slow-moving, AA-filled dark ride is just not something Disney's interested in anymore, unfortunately.

It really makes you consider how much Epcot has changed (and not really for the better, in my opinion). It's still my favorite theme park, and we've still got Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The American Adventure, Impressions, and the general atmosphere of World Showcase still (mostly) intact, but Future World has been irrevocably altered in fundamental ways. The long-form, slow-moving, AA-filled dark ride is just not something Disney's interested in anymore, unfortunately.
As an adult I've grown to truly appreciate World Showcase, luckily before it also is changed too much from where it started.

Reactions: belloq87
I really hope the overhaul restores the guest flow to Innoventions/Communicore. The nonsense of only having one way to get to East or West sides of the park was something the Innoventions makeover created.

One of the best pics of the old design I've seen showed up for Canada day. This is the old East entrance where GR is now (second pic.)

This one was better than his already-great videos. The whole video clips from each section are awesome - it took multiple re-rides to be able to see all of those. i can watch this over and over.

And in memory of Ed Barlow, Chief. :cry:

Edit to add: Watching it again, and just noticed that the font used is the one that was used for the Horizons sign. :drool:

Also, this has the best use of schematics (right word?) - i love that stuff. :clap:

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
The Brazil rumor has popped up again over on Magic as something that is close to being green-lit... It will sit between Germainy and Italy and the projected date is 2022, which would be Epcot's 40th anniversary.

I'm still taking this as a fluid situation for now, but it does seem as if it's progressing along.

The Brazil rumor has popped up again over on Magic as something that is close to being green-lit... It will sit between Germainy and Italy and the projected date is 2022, which would be Epcot's 40th anniversary.

I'm still taking this as a fluid situation for now, but it does seem as if it's progressing along.

I was just coming here to mention this. Mostly because it'll be where the model trains are and I'll be sad to lose them. Even if the inhabitants of the village are all red eyed zombies (or used to be)

Roll on D23

WDWNT is stating that Brazil would be announced next week which I just.... don't see happening. However I really do think that WDW is aiming to get a new WS pavilion in by the 50th/Epcot's 40th. I know that Brazil and Spain were the two front-runners, and when Gigantic got pushed to 2020, it's natural to assume Brazil scored the spot.

The spot rumored is smallish, but they state there might be an attraction. Maybe Up? (mostly takes place in South America) It'd be nice for the pavilion to be fully cultural, but heh this is 2017 Disney we're talking about.

If it happens eventually (I think there's a good chance), I look forward to it. The very idea of a new WS pavilion predates myself, so I'm onboard.

Reactions: Joel and Alicia
Status
Not open for further replies.