The Tonight Show coming to Universal Orlando | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

The Tonight Show coming to Universal Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal has really improved media and advertising wise. I love the new blog and their interaction with the fans. I'm incredibly impressed that the once quiet park that doesn't show anything just realeased 3 live webcasts in 3 days. People eat that crap up (including all of us) and it makes the park WAY more exciting. I want more of that in the future, would kick the rock your disney side campaign's ass

Disney isn't worried, and they shouldn't be. I love Universal and everything they do, but they probably never will be ahead of Disney for theme park brand recognition. Disney is kind of like the McDonald's of theme parks, easy to recognize, attractive to young kids and makes more money than anyone in the business. Universal is more like a Wendy's or something, you get a better product but they just aren't as popular and don't make the same amount of money or have the global recognition. Maybe not the best comparison, but hey. I'm excited to watch Universal continue to grow, I just kind of hope this is it for Potter, but it sounds like it isn't. Ugh.

Disney isn't worried, and they shouldn't be. I love Universal and everything they do, but they probably never will be ahead of Disney for theme park brand recognition. Disney is kind of like the McDonald's of theme parks, easy to recognize, attractive to young kids and makes more money than anyone in the business. Universal is more like a Wendy's or something, you get a better product but they just aren't as popular and don't make the same amount of money or have the global recognition. Maybe not the best comparison, but hey. I'm excited to watch Universal continue to grow, I just kind of hope this is it for Potter, but it sounds like it isn't. Ugh.

Never say never. No company stays on top forever. Sure, Disney is what everyone thinks of when they hear "theme park", the same way Blackberry was what everyone thought of when they heard "smart phone". Now Blackberry is largely forgotten and Apple and Google is on top. If a company gets lazy and does not recognize competition because they are arrogant, they quickly fall. For an empire like Disney, it might take time, but they can't sit on their ass forever and continue to think that someone isn't going to eat their lunch.

Reactions: natespf
However, as has been said by a few above, Comcast just outdid Disney at their own game; cross promotion. It made my head spin they did it so wildly, and without apology.

I grew up a Disney boy... but I am such a Universal adult... they create my fantasies.

Never say never. No company stays on top forever. Sure, Disney is what everyone thinks of when they hear "theme park", the same way Blackberry was what everyone thought of when they heard "smart phone". Now Blackberry is largely forgotten and Apple and Google is on top. If a company gets lazy and does not recognize competition because they are arrogant, they quickly fall. For an empire like Disney, it might take time, but they can't sit on their ass forever and continue to think that someone isn't going to eat their lunch.

This is so true, and Sears is a great example. Sears is a company that has been around for about 100 years, and at one time, they were THE name in retail, and in the 1920s, even sold pre-fab homes from their catalog. They failed to modernize, and could never really find a niche between the discount stores like Target and Wal-Mart, and the upscale department stores like Macy's. Now, they barely hang on.

- - - Updated - - -

[video=youtube;OPdbdjctx2I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdbdjctx2I[/video]

I was working in the music plaza while this shoot was going on, and you could really hear Kevin Hart screaming.

You also have to remember to keep it in perspective. Universal's parks couldn't handle the 17 million guests visiting Magic Kingdom. What they're doing that everyone is paying attention to is the high per-guest spending that they've brought along with the themed merchandise and food & beverage opportunities that came with Potter. And the innovative ways they're coming up with to make guests spend more money, like $45 interactive wands, $40+ to upgrade to park-to-park tickets for Hogwarts Express, plus the novelty drinks, food, etc.

At the end of the day, they're almost creating a boutique park experience that's paving the way for how park expansions are created. Universal will be happy to see an increase in attendance, but the cash being spent inside is where it's at.

You also have to remember to keep it in perspective. Universal's parks couldn't handle the 17 million guests visiting Magic Kingdom. What they're doing that everyone is paying attention to is the high per-guest spending that they've brought along with the themed merchandise and food & beverage opportunities that came with Potter. And the innovative ways they're coming up with to make guests spend more money, like $45 interactive wands, $40+ to upgrade to park-to-park tickets for Hogwarts Express, plus the novelty drinks, food, etc.

At the end of the day, they're almost creating a boutique park experience that's paving the way for how park expansions are created. Universal will be happy to see an increase in attendance, but the cash being spent inside is where it's at.

Well thought and said.

Even if it was possible, do we want Universal to match Disney's capacity? I'm not sure I want Universal's 3rd gate to be able to fit 17 million people, even if Uni had the space to build such a park.

Anyone else notice the change in the Tonight Show set after Monday night?

Monday:
[video=youtube;xzi6uxPVxxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzi6uxPVxxs[/video]

Tuesday:
[video=youtube;dRl_4KRFnGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRl_4KRFnGQ[/video]

The Universal globe was removed. Can anyone offer insight?

DIsney threatened to sue was what i heard on another forum for saying Universal was getting free extra promotion without paying for it.

yep, Spirit over on the Magical WDW forums mentioned it...something about constant "free" advertising, despite that it's all within the same company. Seriously petty.

yep, Spirit over on the Magical WDW forums mentioned it...something about constant "free" advertising, despite that it's all within the same company. Seriously petty.

I don't know if I believe that. I imagine it's be breach of contract for the ad department working with P&R.

Then what was Disneyland? Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color? Walt Disney Presents? Wonderful World of Disney? :lol:

I don't know if I believe that. I imagine it's be breach of contract for the ad department working with P&R.

I'm no lawyer...can you explain further? I'm really interested about what actually went on.

Apparently the "universal" globe in the background of Jimmy's desk was too much for someone, but who?

DIsney threatened to sue was what i heard on another forum for saying Universal was getting free extra promotion without paying for it.
It's nonsense. Disney does the Christmas Parade and other shows from their parks all the time. Walt invented this kind of cross promotion in order to finance Disneyland.