The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 102 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I guess the bottomline of my post is that I am very curious to see how they use the full volume of this show building given the vertical capability of the Kuka arms.

I'm interested to see how the two elements -actual scenery and the projection domes, will work together. I don't doubt that they will produce a smooth transition from one to the other, but I wonder how our senses will interpret going from a domed projection to actual elements and vica versa.
I've thought about that as well - it seems like no matter how well they "mask" the transition, it will be a rather obvious change of ride "style." Sort of like the huge speed rooms at World of Motion and Horizons at WDW. Obviously this is much more advanced, but there's no doubt it will be obvious what you're seeing. One of the biggest issues I think is the lack of 3D like spider-man has. Spider-Man more seamlessly blended projections and set pieces by using 3D, whereas the projections in the domes of FJ will be, by all accounts, 2D. I still think the experience will be amazing, and domed simulator projections can be very convincing (even in 2D) when supplemented by motion of the seating area. So while I do think it will be incredibly obvious when you're watching the domes and when you're not, I still believe the different types of experiences within the attraction won't feel too disjointed.

I guess the bottomline of my post is that I am very curious to see how they use the full volume of this show building given the vertical capability of the Kuka arms.

When you said full volume it made me think, Do you think they could leave a good portion of the show building empty and use it for another couple of scenes that would be depicted in part 1 and 2 of the 7th film. Is that possible? I know they need room for ride vehicles not functioning, the actual ride, queue, preshow rooms, etc.

I'm interested to see how the two elements -actual scenery and the projection domes, will work together. I don't doubt that they will produce a smooth transition from one to the other, but I wonder how our senses will interpret going from a domed projection to actual elements and vica versa.

the transitions work pretty well in pider man :shrug:

You haven't missed much. Just a bunch of nerdie engineering and technology talk about ride viechle and dome stuff, which I love to talk about. kind of a quiet week. Glad you feel better! Welcome back.
I've been sick and have missed a week of updates. Anyone want to do a quick catch up for me? I'm still sick but figured I needed to pop on to see what's happening.

I did see Ellen's show and the apprentice. Has there been any discussion on chocolate frogs? Hollow or not? They looked pretty big on Apprentice.

Also, has mugglenet or one of the fansites released the 3rd of their 3 reports?

Also, how did they find out your email scott? Do you have an acount on their website, I do.

Yeah, this particularly curious to me as well. There is no possible way that Universal could ever know what your personal email address is on here. I have an AP and yet it has no association with my username on OU. So, I am somewhat lost. Look at the info I have blown on here... hell, they should have me in a Super-Max by now compared to you dropping some info about projection paint.

It appears to be a JLG 600A articulating boom lift. According to their website, the height from the ground to the top of the orange part of the body is approximately 6.5 feet. Using that as a base for measurement, and taking into account the fact that the cherry picker is slightly closer to the camera than the screens, I've estimated the height of the dome screens at around 14 feet or a little bit under.

Remember, that is a zoomed photo... A high mm zoom flattens out everything in the shot. The lift is not as close to the screens as it appears. I believe mookie posted a high zoomed shot of FotH from the temp bridge a couple of months ago. The columns for the ride appeared to be right next to the construction walls of the permanent JP bridge even though the are at least 150' beyond.

That said, double one of the two numbers in your estimate, and you will be right on the money.

:thumbs:

Last edited:
Yeah, this particularly curious to me as well. There is no possible way that Universal could ever know what your personal email address is on here. I have an AP and yet it has no association with my username on OU. So, I am somewhat lost. Look at the info I have blown on here... hell, they should have me in a Super-Max by now compared to you dropping some info about projection paint.

I want to believe that ScottinNY's email wasn't really from Universal because I have a lot of respect for Universal & that email would make me lose most of that respect. I agree it seems odd that he would receive an email about the hints he dropped when you haven't received an email about anything you might have given away.

But Spiderman is 3D whilst FJ projection domes are 2D (albeit immersive), and it was only the case that the buildings in Spiderman were actual pieces, not some of the characters (which will be the case in FJ such as Arogog).

Honestly, when I rode it two weeks ago, the 3D used in Spider-Man was nowhere near as good as I remembered it to be the first few times I rode. I think it is the "squenching" effect that sells the idea that the objects on the screens take up actual space, much more than the 3D. I think that Forbidden Journey will be pretty convincing, but of course you will still be able to tell it is a screen.

Maybe the transitions from real world to dome screen could be achieved by going in to a dark area and then the next time you see the light it's actually on the screen. Then when we go back to real stuff we suddenly dive into a cavern on screen and in the dark we turn away from the screen and then once again we see light except in the next physical setting. I'm assuming they would be able to blend the dome stuff with real stuff to make it Spiderman-esque... I know spiderman is 3D but I'm sure with all the technological advances there have been this transfer will be smooth.

When you said full volume it made me think, Do you think they could leave a good portion of the show building empty and use it for another couple of scenes that would be depicted in part 1 and 2 of the 7th film. Is that possible? I know they need room for ride vehicles not functioning, the actual ride, queue, preshow rooms, etc.

Unfortunately I'mma doubting this would happen...given what we know about the storyline and timeline of certain events, I don't think the last movie would fit the storyline/timeline of the attraction...might see references if they ever add something to the island, but probably won't see anything on the ride

The only way I could think of the legal team getting someones email on here is them asking a Admin to look it up, I mean if I ran this site and the Uni Legal team asked me for an email, I'd defiantly want to supply that.

Perhaps Scott just meant it was a PM. Either way, post their message on here and I (or others) can probably tell you if it's real. If it is, well, that's very disappointing and Universal legal will have more problems coming their way...

HI, I've been lurking in the shadows at this thread and the one before it since before the castle walls were in place.

Let me say a few things....

#1. This whole "Universal emailed me" is total BS. This Scott in NY may have some "info" but he's not going to stop posting because Universal contacted him, its because he doesn't have any more info then what he's already given us. Which wasnt much really.

#2. Im super disappointed that they are chaning the DD queue, because i think its the best coaster queue ever...besides Expedition Everest of course..... Im worried that they will make the castle "less dark and scary" and more lit up to show all of the Potter props. Boo to that idea. I prefer to stumble around in the dark.

#3. About ME: I live in S.Florida, and plan to visit Orlando for a work conference on June 22nd-24th...may have to stop in and visit Potter. If not, will probably go sometime In November once the crowds have simmered down. I've been to Disney numerous times, and IOA about 5 or 6 times. Not a fan of the "other" Universal park..but I have not ridden HRRR yet. I thought The Simpsons ride was a waste of time and money. Bring Back Doc Brown!! Never forgave Disney for taking away Mr. Toads Wild Ride. I actually visited Universal Studios way back before IOA was around, and remember seeing a special "sneak preview" of IOA next to the King Kong attraction. It featured models and diagrams of all the lands an potential rides, even before the Marvel License was obtained....boy those days seem so far now.

#4 I think the user Just some Dude is 100% correct on his assumptions on how the ride will work. He seems to know a LOT about this sort of thing...possible he's an insider?

#5. Soft openings for the shops, and non-new rides in late April, and softs for the FJ in mid May is my guess. I think those people that bought those Vacation Packages are screwed. Which in my opinion is their fault. It stated in the fine print, that they would not be responsible for the ride not being open. It was a gamble, and it looks like it may not pay off.

#6 I find it really strange that Universal would have both Ellen and The Apprentice, and those HP fansites there to promote their park, without the signature attraction open. It leads me to believe that the ride has been delayed from its orignal date. Why spend the money to promote something that wasnt completed?

#7. The REAL Grand Opening will not occur on June 18th, but most likely a week or two before in a private tapped ceremony, that will be later shown on Teleivision. Don't expect big stars to be there opening weekend. They may have 1 or 2 b-actors, but none of the A-listers will be there.

#8 Kinda wish Butter beer was alcoholic, but can see why they chose for it not to be. I used to love that bar that had Happy Hour 2 for 1 in IOA. Would go there towards the end of the day and have a few pints before leaving the park. It was actually more affordable then buying soda. I hope the new pub has the same deal.

#9 Im worried the new stores will be much too small, and Im curious how the Owlry will actually work. All of these ideas for specialty shops sound great on paper, but in reality I think the "personal" experience will be totally lost on busy days.

#10. After all the hype, Im hoping the FJ lives up to the other rides in the park. In my opinion IOA has the best overall family thrill rides of any theme park Ive been too. It will take a lot to beat Spiderman.

Ok Im done...carry on.

Welcome rhino4evr!:wave:

#4 I think the user Just some Dude is 100% correct on his assumptions on how the ride will work. He seems to know a LOT about this sort of thing...possible he's an insider?

What if he's Jeff Bridges?

Just curious, why do you all think that Scott is making it up or it's not Universal's legal team.

You all release that Universal's legal team can easily ask a moderator for any of our email adresses. Why do you think the administrators do not want us to post stuff from inside of the construction zone? They do not want any legal trouble with Universal.

How do you think all of these sites have been asked to take down certain pictures lately? Emails by Universal. Who in the world would want to fake email people as if they are apart of Universal's legal team anyhow? It is very much against the law and I doubt anyone is dumb enough to do such a foolish thing. Just thought I'd put in my .02 cents.

I get that but I feel like removing a pic taken on Universal property from a public area is overkill. I'm speaking of course about Shellemonsters pics of the domes which are now gone.

EDIT:
BTW Universal Legal if you're reading this you should be focusing on clearing up the fact that many media sources are advertising the Wizarding World like its its own park and not and island at Islands of Adventure. Thats a problem that will continue to be a problem after opening whereas once the park opens none of this will matter.

How is it overkill zbob? I think it's understandable.

Also, there is going to be a Behind-The-Scenes Featurette in the beginning of June anyway, so a lot of info will be revealed then(although I will not watch it for spoiler purposes).

I find it rather amusing that this thread is even monitored by Universal Employees. I also find it amusing that they would send a threatning letter to people that are doing nothing more then pure speculation. There is nothing illegal about that.

What does Universal have to loose about people talking up their new ride/project. Not to mention its not like anyone outside of our little corner of the web even cares about half of this stuff. If I walked into Burger King and yelled..

HEY FOLKS! THE NEW HARRY POTTER RIDE AT UNIVERSAL IS USING DOMED SCREENS!!

Do you think anyone would really care?

Emailing a message board member because he gave some cryptic "hints" is just way out of line.

any chance it's Bri-Man doing all this to generate more board posts? :p

Last edited: