The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 100 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We haven't talked about Flight of the Hippogriff at all on here...I know Hagrid's Hut is part of the queue and the pumpkin patch. I imagine load is an extension of his "yard"

oh wow, I just realized that too. FotH seems like the forgotten ride haha! I wonder waht they are doing to the old queve, like are we going to line up just on the lawn outside and receive the lesson in the queve but in the unicorn ride wasnt the line in some kind of wooden building towards the end? I only rode it once like six years ago so I dont remember it much. If they kept that line than what would the building for the loading station be?

Can anyone tell me if Universal have renovated the bridge from Jurassic Park to The Wizarding World to look more Scottish? What about the Dragon Challenge one? Have they changed the loading station of Flight of the Hippogriff to look more "Lesson-in-a-classroom-like"?

What's the big deal with retheming the bridge? JP is an island just like TWWoHP. It deserves some love too. So selfish, jk.

I don't think anything will happen in the FotH station, maybe a preshow, but this is going to be the least grand of the land's rides.

The actual exterior from what I've observed looks almost the same. The interior had to be altered somehow...altered to be related to Hagrid and learning lessons lol.

800px-Glasses_of_Butterbeer.JPG

Can't wait to drink this with my butterbeer-foamy stache!:dance:

This forum has destroyed my productivity... but shame on me. So, I created a graphic to show how things might transition.... scale is reasonably good. Hope that it helps some of you to envision what is to come. Flow here is from left to right or counterclockwise. It is just a piggyback of what Disneyhead and others have posted. I am just anal. I hope some find it helpful.

projection.png

Click image to see larger if you have a hi-res display.

Keep in mind also, that on straight up pull ins and pullouts their could be projections above you as well so you are looking at some swirly wild something. Think of Harry taking Dumbledore's arm in opening scenes of HBP.
Awesome! That's exactly how I envision it. I get the sense that there may be less that 8 screens per carousel - perhaps only 5 or 6 but that's just a guess. This picture definitely illustrates what I personally think will be very representative of what it will really be like.

Adobe Illustrator... as Dumbledore said, it is not journey for the faint of heart. It has features not even documented in books... and I needed one of those features to pull that picture off.
Indeed Illustrator can be frustrating, to say the least. It's not something you can just pick up and start drawing with, unlike most other image editing programs. But vector based programs are definitely the best for creating graphic logos and schematics and stuff like that.

I really enjoy your posts.
Thanks Scott! :smiley:

Last edited:
Harry Wikipedia...it's not from the Wizarding World I'd assume. It is a rather desiring photo.

I'd rather see the old tin glasses to give off an old/immersive effect.

Darn... today's been a long day... I'm still 10 pages behind but I need to go to bed... I'll be back tomorrow to finish reading, but can someone mention if any major stuff that happened in these last few pages? I'm at the point after we found out we could earn a ban if we post behind the scenes or "confidential" pics and information... a rule I understand and I'll respect, but which pisses me right off... anything interesting or noteworthy after that? I'll appreciate it!

BBT!

So, here's the motherload of screen pictures...

I took this first one, the second is an enhanced version:

This one is from a random screamscape source:

I annotated this one for an earlier post, but what I didn't notice the first time is that there is a third screen in the shadows to the right. Looks like a carousel. There may even be a black projector box hanging above the screen (it's obscured by the crane arm).

Just compare the size of the screen to the cherry picker, the cherry picker base is about 8 ft high, maybe more. Big!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy carousel of domes batman! Never seen your pic before, and Ive only seen/have the annotated version of the second one that I recently linked to. Thanks for the insightful pics. I'm looking forward to the ensuing discussion.

Last edited:
Well I hate to disappoint but I wasn't able to go get an update today because I went to the parks super later & had something I had t do. BUT I will be going back Friday to get you all a nice update (yes I am going on the 9th for a good laugh) so even though it won't be open you'll still have a nice update to look forward to. Again sorry about today & now back to screen talk now that the pics are found again.

Word that I have is that if the ride detects more than 350 per seat... then even if you fit.. you will not ride. The ride itself is kind of a sorting hat it would seem. It has something to do with with the torque of the Kuka on this particular 4-seater. Weird that size does not matter, but weight does. But that is only what I have heard... it could be a wild rumor.

I had actually been wondering about this. From an engineering perspective, a large mass (bench+people) at the end of a long arm (20' - more???) changing direction suddenly brings up a whole slew of issues. Torque is certainly one of them - you wouldn't want the arm overshooting any target positions because the Kuka isn't powerful enough to accelerate the mass in time. The designers are going to make sure that it is not possible for the passengers to move outside of some safety envelope. Another issue is stability and traction. All the forces have to be transferred to the floor; most robotic arms are bolted down. While I'm sure the base is HEAVY, there exists some magnitude of force that will cause the whole thing to tilt and/or slip (unless they have some sort of up-stops on these things). Something to keep in mind is that the critical case is probably not normal operation - the ride needs to be safe during an e-stop at the point of maximum height and/or speed.

All these issues are magnified by the safety factor added to the calculations. My (admittedly wild) guess is that the factor of safety will be at least 3 (this is a relatively new application for Kuka's and failure could kill someone). That means that if they want 1400lbs of passenger to be safe (4 350lb people), then the ride must be capable of handling at least 4200lb by design.