The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 98 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Rear projection doesn't work very well on the back side of a concave surface. The curvature can't be very high, or else the edges of the dome would lose significant amounts of brightness as well as being nearly impossible to maintain full pixel resolution. The most likely place for a projector is mounted just outside the edge of the dome, facing inwards towards the center. The technology already readily exists, is in use in many places (the Simpsons ride is similar), and works extremely effectively (see the image I posted a couple pages back).

As for the screens pivoting rather than it being a carousel, there are several problems with this. First, you'd have a transition from screen to screen, which would limits the immersion factor. It would be like passing by screens like this: OOOOOO where the sense of being immersed inside a scene disappears every time you have to move to the next dome.

I would say it's almost a definite foregone conclusion that the screens are fixed to a carousel that will spin as the vehicles circle that carousel. It's the simplest, most effective form of immersion. It makes no sense to add in the extra complexity of articulating screens when that very act also imparts the loss of integrity in the immersion of the projection dome. Why bounce in and out of domes when you can stay immersed in one single dome?

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about: The black projector (a rear proj.) can't fully cover the entire screen. Even if you have two rear projectors - one on each side, they have the same issue - they'll "miss" the top and bottom of the dome (line of sight).

The more likely scenario is front projectors, perhaps even two like I've illustrated in green (one on each side in order to allow the vehicle - the red box - to get deeper into the dome). This would allow the vehicle to further move inside the dome to be immersed in the video. The projectors would be virtually invisible in the dark, and by the time they're turned on you're staring into the middle of the screen. You might see them if you look to your left or right, but they wouldn't be noticeable unless you're looking for them.

xor31t.png

Last edited:
So if you guys want to see pictures of the domes, go to my photobucket account. I get on here sporadically and catch up so I missed a lot of the dome discussion. I can't get to photobucket at work, but my account should be public (I think I'm also Shellemonster on there) for others to link to. My initial pictures are also on themeparkreview's website if you want to find the dome pics there using the search function. They're all taken from legitimate areas looking through cracks, so no worries.

The best picture of the domes (unfortunately also the lowest quality) and the picture of the snake heads outisde came from screamscape originally, and I just saved them and posted them here. There's also a nifty picture of the construction workers strongarm directional sign that I will post when I can. The illustration shows a guy with a "strong arm" holding a wand and wearing a wizards hat, kinda funny.

^I'm not so sure about the carousel, because in that picture you can see the track path curve away.

Last edited:
^I'm not so sure about the carousel, because in that picture you can see the track path curve away.
What I see in the famous "domes" picture is that the vehicles would be moving from left to right in the photo. They would curve in towards the domes, and off to the right of the picture, where it gets dark, the track would curve (to the left - away from the camera) around the circular carousel of screens.

--- Update ---

ah... so each vehicle will gets own screen and only one screen until the rotation is completed. Wow, I over-thought that one.
Yes, exactly. What you said would of course work, it just seems like it's unnecessarily complicated. With a simple rotating carousel of screens, you'll be inside the single dome for maybe 30 seconds or more as you rotate along with the entire carousel of screens.

What I see in the famous "domes" picture is that the vehicles would be moving from left to right in the photo. They would curve in towards the domes, and off to the right of the picture, where it gets dark, the track would curve (to the left - away from the camera) around the circular carousel of screens.

--- Update ---

Yes, exactly. What you said would of course work, it just seems like it's unnecessarily complicated. With a simple rotating carousel of screens, you'll be inside the single dome for maybe 30 seconds or more as you rotate along with the entire carousel of screens.

I suppose that would work, we'll find out when we ride. I wish an insider or a universal delegate would talk tech with us. It doesn't give away key story points and would make many of us very happy.

--- Update ---

I have a request, whoever posted the picture of the solidworks rendering of the Kuka tracked ride system taken from IAAPA, could you please repost it? Or someone who saved it. That way we could have a legitimate picture, publically displayed by the company, to refer to when talking about the ride vehicle.

I don't think it is fair to get upset with ScottinNy for sharing the information in the way he did. First off because he took a poll and the majority preferred a riddle, and second he doesn't have to share anything he learns with us at all. He could always keep it to himself. I think complaining about how someone shares info that their source gave them may infact lead insiders to not want to share any information with us at all. Yes, I get it can be annoying going through page after page trying to catch up. I have done it before. I've had to wade through 20 or so pages. I skim for info if I'm not in the mood to read all the posts at that time. But if we weren't trying to solve ScottinNY's riddle, we probably would have been discussing something that has been gone over time & time again. (Like cell phone usage) So you may still have had to wade through page after page.

On the last page I posted a direct link in riddle form to the pic of the domes. I guess no one chose to click it, but it's there if you are interested.

Not sure if anyone knows, did they have a limit as to how many HP packages they were allowing on any given day? Just wondering how many people would've been let into the park an hour early on the days we go.

I believe it's been discussed that Dobby is speculated to make an appearance in WWoHP even though he is dead, but no one has mentioned that Aragog is also dead, as of now, he dies in HBP I believe (although Aragog is not confirmed yet). Hence why it is called the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, freeing Universal from being locked into any specific HP book/movie time period.

I told everyone from my first day here. Dobby is the key, he is the one popping you in and out of scenes

just heard on the news that either orlando or orange county has turned down an invitation and $40 trinket for the wwohp because it would violate a band they have in place for receiving gifts

Rear projection doesn't work very well on the back side of a concave surface. The curvature can't be very high, or else the edges of the dome would lose significant amounts of brightness as well as being nearly impossible to maintain full pixel resolution. The most likely place for a projector is mounted just outside the edge of the dome, facing inwards towards the center. The technology already readily exists, is in use in many places (the Simpsons ride is similar), and works extremely effectively (see the image I posted a couple pages back).

As for the screens pivoting rather than it being a carousel, there are several problems with this. First, you'd have a transition from screen to screen, which would limits the immersion factor. It would be like passing by screens like this: OOOOOO where the sense of being immersed inside a scene disappears every time you have to move to the next dome.

I would say it's almost a definite foregone conclusion that the screens are fixed to a carousel that will spin as the vehicles circle that carousel. It's the simplest, most effective form of immersion. It makes no sense to add in the extra complexity of articulating screens when that very act also imparts the loss of integrity in the immersion of the projection dome. Why bounce in and out of domes when you can stay immersed in one single dome?

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about: The black projector (a rear proj.) can't fully cover the entire screen. Even if you have two rear projectors - one on each side, they have the same issue - they'll "miss" the top and bottom of the dome (line of sight).

The more likely scenario is front projectors, perhaps even two like I've illustrated in green (one on each side in order to allow the vehicle - the red box - to get deeper into the dome). This would allow the vehicle to further move inside the dome to be immersed in the video. The projectors would be virtually invisible in the dark, and by the time they're turned on you're staring into the middle of the screen. You might see them if you look to your left or right, but they wouldn't be noticeable unless you're looking for them.

xor31t.png

I really enjoy your posts.

This is the beginning of the end. The world is practically complete with the exception of a few minor details. Photo updates are mostly unnecessary now...progress is done. There's really not much to talk about here anymore lol. It saddens me...because this thread has existed for over 2 years, including Part I.

3 years of discussion and anticipation, and when it finally arrives, you begin to miss the years you spent discussing it with people just or more excited than you are. That's how I feel at least. I need a tissue lol.

Lol I'm just saying. The payoff will be massive but I will miss this. Can't wait to just talk about how all our experiences were in a couple months. And for those softies...I guess the first week of May.