Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

In the HP universe, the wand must "fit" with a user in order to make spells work correctly or more effectively. In the shop Ollivander's at the WWoHP, someone will be chosen by the wandkeeper to try different wands. The first couple won't work, and whatever spells you "cast" won't function (the illiusion is created by special effects in the shop), but eventually they will have found a wand that "fits" leading to some other special effects.

That sounds pretty cool. How often would this happen? Also, do you buy the wand afterward?

Can any body give me any glimmer of hope that my Harry Potter mad kids will get in. We leave in about 12 hours for our flight from UK and I have wasted hours over the last month searching for any hope, we booked after Universal started selling packages for the 28th May but our budget did not stretch to the package, we are staying off site. My kids are devastated, we wont be able to afford to come back from UK, we have used our life savings to pay for this holiday. We are in Orlando until 6th June.

As much as I would like to feel sorry for you to an extent this is your own fault. No one guaranteed that it would be open during the days you booked and if you were really making such a big commitment you should have done your research and planned a trip for after the Grand Opening when the area is guaranteed to open. Although your story is heartbreaking I can't help but feel that you did this to yourself and if you are so worried about this I recommend you call Universal's Guest Services and speak to them about your situation. It can't hurt to talk to them and who knows it might help you. Perhaps you can convince them to give you package holder status despite the fact you do not have one. I wish you look with this but hope that in the future you will do your research before spending so much money.

I would say that yes, they actually rode the ride and yes, that particular scene was staged to some degree. Everything about their visit was staged. On the 20th the picture of the five of them just inside the main entrance was taken at 9:30am, testing butterbeer 10:18am and in front of the hogwarts gates 10:52 am. Very tight schedule and at least two different still photographers.

Thanks.

As much as I would like to feel sorry for you to an extent this is your own fault. No one guaranteed that it would be open during the days you booked and if you were really making such a big commitment you should have done your research and planned a trip for after the Grand Opening when the area is guaranteed to open. Although your story is heartbreaking I can't help but feel that you did this to yourself and if you are so worried about this I recommend you call Universal's Guest Services and speak to them about your situation. It can't hurt to talk to them and who knows it might help you. Perhaps you can convince them to give you package holder status despite the fact you do not have one. I wish you look with this but hope that in the future you will do your research before spending so much money.

That's a little harsh, sounds like she booked before they announced the Grand Opening, and given they were selling Grand Opening packages from 28th May, everyone presumed that was the grand opening date.

allimac I agree with everyone that let your kids know about all the other things there are to do & if you get into the area it's a bonus. Will there be soft openings while you are here yes but for how long or what days nobody knows? So unless you plain on spending everyday of your vacation at IoA sitting in front of the gate from opening to close nobody here or even at Universal can say with 100% you will get in & even than FJ will more than likely not be open during softs that much.

for those that camp outside HP i really think they should check to see if DD is open because if it is i can almost garantee that there will be no softs that day. Stupid people always make me laugh.

for those that camp outside HP i really think they should check to see if DD is open because if it is i can almost garantee that there will be no softs that day. Stupid people always make me laugh.

Dueling Dragons is indeed open today and the walls are indeed still up.

If you think about it. Doing a "soft opening" on a weekend wouldn't make sense really as you would be hurling a larger weekend crowd at something new and somewhat untested. If I were going to do a soft opening I would aim for a low-traffic Monday.

That sounds pretty cool. How often would this happen? Also, do you buy the wand afterward?
The experience takes a couple of minutes and they let about 25 people into the shop at a time. After the experience, the wandkeeper's "associate" takes the group into the Owl Post where the person who was chosen to participate can either buy the wand that chose him/her, another wand, or no wand at all. In addition, everyone else can browse wands to purchase (including the experience wands) and an associate will gladly assist you with finding a wand that is a perfect fit.

I know I said I'd stop, but realistically I don't really mind continuing the wand discussion because there are a lot of misconceptions and a little discussion never hurt anyone. That's what forums like these are for: to discuss the WW and express hopes, concerns, and impressions. One of the main things I've heard on here is that UO "advertised" Ollivander's as an individual experience. They didn't. They talked about it being unique. It is. They spoke of it being intimate. At 25 people only, it is. They spoke of how the "wand chooses the wizard." It does. No where did they say everyone would actually experience it, only that everyone would have a chance to see the experience and everyone would have the ability to select a wand (or have one selected for them). They will. All of the speculation about individual experiences, or everyone getting a chance to be chosen were conjecture on the parts of all of us.

I can confirm, although I cannot and will not reveal my sources, that the way the wand experience was done in the TM preview was in fact how it will be for paying guests as well. They're still working out queues and how to control the crowds, but only up to three people will actually have a wand choose them. That's all the wandkeeper's script allows at one time. That will hopefully keep too many situations where one sibling gets the experience but another doesn't from happening, but it won't accommodate every child or adult in the room. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Can any body give me any glimmer of hope that my Harry Potter mad kids will get in. We leave in about 12 hours for our flight from UK and I have wasted hours over the last month searching for any hope, we booked after Universal started selling packages for the 28th May but our budget did not stretch to the package, we are staying off site. My kids are devastated, we wont be able to afford to come back from UK, we have used our life savings to pay for this holiday. We are in Orlando until 6th June.

There might be softs by then...But Universal orlando and IOA Are two of the coolest parks in the world...and you will still get to ride the current number 1 dark ride Spiderman. So chin up...everything is awesome. If your just going cuz your potter fans than i suppose this won't make you feel better.
But it seems likely that softs will be happening by that time frame.

Hey I just want to say stop bashing people who are coming to Orlando before the opening date! We know when the opening date is we just couldn't plan our vacation acordingly. My friends and I are going to Orlando from may the 31st to June the 7th. These were the only dates that fitted all of our schedules and so we decided to take a risk. We are very well aware of the opening dates and what a soft is. I personally follow this thread carefully for any signs that there might be softs for FJ because it's the best resource I have to plan my visit to the park. Yes if we want to ride FJ so badly we should have waited, but not all of us in this forum live in Florida or even the US so it's not that easy to plan vacations. I'm loosing sleep over this issue because last year I didn't get to ride rock it, and I don't know if I will be able to go back any time soon, so please be a little more sympathetic to people in my situation.

One of the main things I've heard on here is that UO "advertised" Ollivander's as an individual experience. They didn't. They talked about it being unique. It is. They spoke of it being intimate. At 25 people only, it is. They spoke of how the "wand chooses the wizard." It does. No where did they say everyone would actually experience it, only that everyone would have a chance to see the experience and everyone would have the ability to select a wand (or have one selected for them). They will. All of the speculation about individual experiences, or everyone getting a chance to be chosen were conjecture on the parts of all of us.

On Orlando's website their description of Olivander's is as follows:

“Visit Olivander’s, Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C. Step into the small dusty shop and gaze up at countless wand boxes stacked to the ceiling. Here, in a unique interactive experience, a Wandkeeper can help the wand choose YOU. You can purchase the wand you tried out, or select from Olivander’ full array of wands including replicas of the Harry Potter film character’s wands, Collectible wand sets and more.” (that capital YOU is their emphasis, not mine)

Compare this to the Jedi Training Academy description on Disney's site:

“Experience the power of the Force as you train to become a junior Jedi Knight! If you're selected from the audience to be one of approximately 25 Padawans, you're invited to don a brown robe and pledge the sacred Jedi Oath. Then, grab a lightsaber and hone your battle skills as you learn the age-old techniques from a real Jedi Master.”

That is where my complaint lies. It is all in the expectations they are building. It may very well be a flaw in the way we are interpreting what information they have released, but they have written all of that information in a way that it is easily understandable for everyone to assume that everyone who wants a turn will get one.

And okay yeah, I'm still discussing this even though I said I wouldn't. :) But obviously this is a WWoHP issue that affects my upcoming trip and what better place to discuss it than here with relatively well informed people?<--which kind of does bring up another interesting point: out of all the people who will visit WWoHP how many of them do you think will do enough research in advance to even know that the Olivader's experience even exists? That alone may cut down on the number of people queueing up.

Hey I just want to say stop bashing people who are coming to Orlando before the opening date! We know when the opening date is we just couldn't plan our vacation acordingly. My friends and I are going to Orlando from may the 31st to June the 7th. These were the only dates that fitted all of our schedules and so we decided to take a risk. We are very well aware of the opening dates and what a soft is. I personally follow this thread carefully for any signs that there might be softs for FJ because it's the best resource I have to plan my visit to the park. Yes if we want to ride FJ so badly we should have waited, but not all of us in this forum live in Florida or even the US so it's not that easy to plan vacations. I'm loosing sleep over this issue because last year I didn't get to ride rock it, and I don't know if I will be able to go back any time soon, so please be a little more sympathetic to people in my situation.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I am in a similar boat. I made my plans once the packages were announced and could be booked. So one could assume that the area would be open. At this point for my trip on June 10th I will be happy if we can get in the area even if we do not ride FJ. But this still kinda stinks. If early on the packages were sold as "special preview packages" I could maybe agree with Uni and I would have purchased that package. BUT the main point of benefit of the package was to get into WWOHP 1 hr early.

Oh Teebin stop telling people to go on Monday even though it's a better fit than the weekend crowd wise. You & i both know they could tear down the walls tomorrow even & let people in. It's all what Uni decides which can be anything from tomorrow to June 18th for any kind of public soft. But Uni changes their mind on a hourly basis on this stuff so nobody hold your breath or go wait outside the gates all day it's not worth it.

VacationTalkRocks your comparison is the reason Uni screwed them self a bit of re wording on the park map or TMs letting you know exactly whats up will save Uni a very big headache

The experience takes a couple of minutes and they let about 25 people into the shop at a time. After the experience, the wandkeeper's "associate" takes the group into the Owl Post where the person who was chosen to participate can either buy the wand that chose him/her, another wand, or no wand at all. In addition, everyone else can browse wands to purchase (including the experience wands) and an associate will gladly assist you with finding a wand that is a perfect fit.

I know I said I'd stop, but realistically I don't really mind continuing the wand discussion because there are a lot of misconceptions and a little discussion never hurt anyone. That's what forums like these are for: to discuss the WW and express hopes, concerns, and impressions. One of the main things I've heard on here is that UO "advertised" Ollivander's as an individual experience. They didn't. They talked about it being unique. It is. They spoke of it being intimate. At 25 people only, it is. They spoke of how the "wand chooses the wizard." It does. No where did they say everyone would actually experience it, only that everyone would have a chance to see the experience and everyone would have the ability to select a wand (or have one selected for them). They will. All of the speculation about individual experiences, or everyone getting a chance to be chosen were conjecture on the parts of all of us.

I can confirm, although I cannot and will not reveal my sources, that the way the wand experience was done in the TM preview was in fact how it will be for paying guests as well. They're still working out queues and how to control the crowds, but only up to three people will actually have a wand choose them. That's all the wandkeeper's script allows at one time. That will hopefully keep too many situations where one sibling gets the experience but another doesn't from happening, but it won't accommodate every child or adult in the room. Sorry, but that's how it is.

So three people in the shop at once will have their wands choose them? IMO it'd be cooler if only one person got it. All the attention would be focused on that sole person/wand. Do the wands serve a purpose outside the shop? I remember some rumours awhile back that if you wave it at certain objects/places things would happen.

And okay yeah, I'm still discussing this even though I said I wouldn't. :) But obviously this is a WWoHP issue that affects my upcoming trip and what better place to discuss it than here with relatively well informed people?<--which kind of does bring up another interesting point: out of all the people who will visit WWoHP how many of them do you think will do enough research in advance to even know that the Olivader's experience even exists? That alone may cut down on the number of people queueing up.

I think so too, a lot of people won't do enough research to even know about Ollivander's. For example, I know tons of people who:
*have no idea TWWHP even exists
*think it's at Disney and are planning trips to wdw expecting to see harry
*think it's just a Quidditch themed roller coaster and nothing more.

So other than the small minority who follow park progress and rumors religiously, the general public will not even be aware that they're missing out on anything by not being personally chosen. At least I hope, because I would hate to be surrounded by angry people when I go :/

Oh Teebin stop telling people to go on Monday even though it's a better fit than the weekend crowd wise.

DFB, do you intend to sound snippy or am I just misreading your post? I haven't seen one post from anyone on here screaming "OMG, Teebin said to go Monday!!!". I never told anyone to go Monday... it was more of a discussion Monday would be more logical. And NO, I do not KNOW that they could throw open the gates today or tomorrow nor do I believe it will be decision made on hourly basis.

Check out this youtube link from Universal :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmG0K3eEfgE
Harry Potter himself says "EVERYONE" will get to try a wand (~19 seconds).
And Dumbledore even says that he can't wait to get a new wand (59 sec). Boy will he be disappointed if he's not picked out of his group to get a turn. :(

Okay, I'm kind of being funny here, but there is a kernel of truth in what I'm saying. This is how it is being advertised.