The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 732 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would love to see a restaurant/ simulator hogwarts express, where you board a train on a moving platform that moves a little side to side and large dome screens on the side of each cart. It would be like your on your journey to hogwarts while your eating lunch. Imagine the money that would come off of that because I know for a fact that people would be willing to pay $$$$ for that experience, even though it would be nice if universal could think about others that can't afford $10 for a chocolate bar!

:ack: A restaurant/simulator combo? Better hire more janitors...

Not if it's only a little "train" motion. People eat on trains all the time. I don't see them getting sick. It wouldn't be a thrilling simulator...

They also eat while driving, while on planes, while walking.... :lol: Hell, I've seen people eating granola bars and stuff while jogging in the morning.

Shouldn't be a problem.

I'm done with this arguing. Time will tell us what Universal's plans are. People aren't coming to IOA for TLC any more then they are the other lands excluding Potter. The whole franchise is huge, and yes we can see some minor additions with HP7 as promised. Though, I am almost positive that The Lost Continent won't be seeing it's last days any time soon. And with no Lost Continent destroyed, there is not much room left for anything (as I look at my IOA map, that is. I could be wrong.) I'm just saying that if you really look at it, it's not likely. But we shall see.

Wow...this blew up.

Its not about the Lost Continent or any love for it. It is about good choices and bad choices for a company.

Millions of people will still be going and spending their money for a while on this. Potter is HUGE worldwide. It is not just big in the states and it is even a bigger deal in other parts of the world.

We are spoiled theme park brats. The biggest theme park expansion in the last decade just opened up and six months ago and we are waiting for an announcement in the next year for an expansion of an expansion?

Seriously. Think about how likely that is.

There are millions of people all over the world doing their best to take their family to Universal Orlando for this already.

Going back to catching a big fish comparison someone posted and why would you stop fishing.

If you feed your family past the point of already being full by giving them another big fish for dinner...most of it will go to waste and they will be starving the next week.

You milk the investment out before the sequel guys.

The WB contract with Universal is mostly for merch with the last two movies. That is where WB makes the money, not at the gate attendance. We have already seen merch from Deathly Hallows part 1 pop up.

You guys are right. In 2012, a lot more families will fly the whole famn damily down from Chicago to see Sindbads over a new Gringott's Vault coaster in a fully realized Diagon Alley. Oh yeah, I forgot they can also see Draconon defeat Poseidon as opposed to see a wizarding duel between Dumbledore and Voldy.

Last edited:
Wow...this blew up.

Its not about the Lost Continent or any love for it. It is about good choices and bad choices for a company.

Millions of people will still be going and spending their money for a while on this. Potter is HUGE worldwide. It is not just big in the states and it is even a bigger deal in other parts of the world.

We are spoiled theme park brats. The biggest theme park expansion in the last decade just opened up and six months ago and we are waiting for an announcement in the next year for an expansion of an expansion?

Seriously. Think about how likely that is.

There are millions of people all over the world doing their best to take their family to Universal Orlando for this already.

Going back to catching a big fish comparison someone posted and why would you stop fishing.

If you feed your family past the point of already being full by giving them another big fish for dinner...most of it will go to waste and they will be starving the next week.

You milk the investment out before the sequel guys.

The WB contract with Universal is mostly for merch with the last two movies. That is where WB makes the money, not at the gate attendance. We have already seen merch from Deathly Hallows part 1 pop up.

We've pointed out before that we are not looking at this from a theme park fan standpoint. As a company, they could make even MORE money if they expanded. Will it happen within the next two years? Probably not. But slowly, you mark my words - Potter will take over LC. According to Teebin, expansion plans are already in the "Blue Sky" stage which means, if anything, the company is considering it. And honestly, I think everyone here agrees, horcrux merch would be cornier than J.K. Rowling would allow...

Last edited:
We've pointed out before that we are not looking at this from a theme park fan standpoint. As a company, they could make even MORE money if they expanded. Will it happen within the next two years? Probably not. But slowly, you mark my words - Potter will take over LC. According to Teebin, expansion plans are already in the "Blue Sky" stage which means, if anything, the company is considering it.

Exactly. It's not even about wanting it, we are just 99% sure it's going to happen. It has just done so much for Universal and made them so much money, that it's almost inconceivable for them not to want to build on that. Companies always want to make more money. They are never satisfied with what they have.
I just don't get how it could be risky to expand Potter, as some of you are suggesting. I bet Universal is feeling pretty confident about it, based on the numbers I posted from the Sentinel a few pages back. The only thing that could possibly happen with an expansion of Potter is that Universal makes even more money from repeat visitors, increased food and merchandise revenue (either because of new restaurants and shops, or because people will stay in the land longer). Not to mention the people that come to see it will be happier if they don't have to be sardines.
And yeah we know it wouldn't happen tomorrow. At the earliest a moderate to major expansion would open probably 3-4 years from now.

But if you want we can just agree to disagree for now, although when the expansion is announced in a couple years, if we're still here, we get to say "I told you so". :p

Exactly. It's not even about wanting it, we are just 99% sure it's going to happen. It has just done so much for Universal and made them so much money, that it's almost inconceivable for them not to want to build on that. Companies always want to make more money. They are never satisfied with what they have.
I just don't get how it could be risky to expand Potter, as some of you are suggesting. I bet Universal is feeling pretty confident about it, based on the numbers I posted from the Sentinel a few pages back. The only thing that could possibly happen with an expansion of Potter is that Universal makes even more money from repeat visitors, increased food and merchandise revenue (either because of new restaurants and shops, or because people will stay in the land longer). Not to mention the people that come to see it will be happier if they don't have to be sardines.
And yeah we know it wouldn't happen tomorrow. At the earliest a moderate to major expansion would open probably 3-4 years from now.

But if you want we can just agree to disagree for now, although when the expansion is announced in a couple years, if we're still here, we get to say "I told you so". :p

Even if we think it'll happen we have to say "If it's announced". That's part of their argument xD :p

Someone said if you take it to the limit you're more likely to fall off the edge and slow and steady wins the race (Disney has proven that). If Universal followed those two rules we would not have a WWOHP at all. And the only reason Disney is able to follow those rules is because they have the nostalgia and mythos of being the first theme park in Orlando. Magic Kingdom doesn't fill to capacity because it has the most innovative attractions it fills to capacity because it is the first thing most people associate with Orlando. Universal realizes they cannot compete on that level so instead they must look for other ways to draw people in. They have finally found the key to that and it is a boy wizard named Harry Potter. If you found oil in your backyard would you only drill enough to enter the market or would you continue drilling while also refining your business techniques as a way to keep your new customers? It's not so much a they will either expand WWOHP or clean up IOA its more of a they will BOTH expand WWOHP and clean up IOA. Universal has them now they are not about to let them get away.

And honestly, I think everyone here agrees, horcrux merch would be cornier than J.K. Rowling would allow...

Plastic swords of Gryffindor, plastic Triwizard cups, Voldemort dolls... We've passed the corny merchandise stage. :lol:

I would also like to say that there is a reason no theme park based on a single franchise or theme has ever done well. If you put all your eggs in one basket, drop the basket and there goes all your eggs.

Last edited:
Hey now, those Voldemort dolls rock my socks. Beats a teddy bear any old day of the week.

But there already is horcrux merchandise, you know. Noble Collections has already started making some lovely reproductions of them - Tom Riddle's Diary, the Slytherin locket, the Peverell ring... And I know a cheaper, most likely plastic version of the Slytherin locket will be coming out in one of those Harry Potter Kits (they already have Snitch Kits, a Hedwig Kit, etc). I think it's due to be released later this month. Spotted it on Amazon.com earlier available for preorder.

I would also like to say that there is a reason no theme park based on a single franchise or theme has ever done well. If you put all your eggs in one basket, drop the basket and there goes all your eggs.

True but no one's saying IoA should be changed to WWoHP.
It's OK for some lands to be bigger than others. You want to talk about theme parks that have done well, the most successful theme park in the world is Magic Kingdom. Look at their lands. They are not equal in size at all. Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are huge whereas Liberty Square and Toontown Fair barely exist. All the lands have their own character, if they were all completely equal it would feel too artificial.
And Universal Studios right next door to IoA - compare the size of Production Central to World Expo or San Francisco/Amity
Right now WWoHP is not even the biggest land (I'm talking about things to do and actual guest walking space). It should at least be the size of JP.

So you don't put all your eggs in one basket, you just put a few more eggs in the basket people are most interested in. Because a certain basket has a rabid world-wide fanbase who are ready to spend millions of dollars on that basket. :lol:
The other baskets to these high paying customers are mere afterthoughts.

--- Update ---

Hey now, those Voldemort dolls rock my socks. Beats a teddy bear any old day of the week.

But there already is horcrux merchandise, you know. Noble Collections has already started making some lovely reproductions of them - Tom Riddle's Diary, the Slytherin locket, the Peverell ring... And I know a cheaper, most likely plastic version of the Slytherin locket will be coming out in one of those Harry Potter Kits (they already have Snitch Kits, a Hedwig Kit, etc). I think it's due to be released later this month. Spotted it on Amazon.com earlier available for preorder.

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly messed up that horcrux merchandise is potentially being bought for children (especially if it's sold at WWoHP)? Here kid, take this recreation of an evil possessed object that wants to murder everyone. :lol:

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly messed up that horcrux merchandise is potentially being bought for children (especially if it's sold at WWoHP)? Here kid, take this recreation of an evil possessed object that wants to murder everyone. :lol:

Well, Harry destroyed the parts of Voldy's soul in all of the objects, sooo...just pretend they're safe now. :lol: I find the horcrux merchandise less creepy than the Voldemort doll, since Voldemort is essentially the fantasy version of Hitler. What sane child wants to snuggle up with that at bedtime?

Of course, I still want one. :thumbs:

Thanks to Helena, I (obsessively as ever) investigated more of the style of Hogwarts. As it turns out, there were four different periods of early Gothic and much of Hogwarts interior follows the third period which is most commonly referred to as "Decorated Gothic". This period was roughly 1200-1375 AD. Being yet again even more obsessive, I discovered this very telling image of Alnwick Castle where many of the early HP scenes were filmed. Alnwick was constructed beginning in 1200 AD. Get a load of those "Absolut Vodka" bottle windows and then round arches, pointed arches, Islamic style arched windows, and the more typical rectangular windows!

acl_2351.jpg

Your test for tomorrow will be the mid 11th Century and the effect of Decorated Gothic on the life and times of the people. Class is dismissed! :wave:

Dang...why don't they make stuff like that anymore? Gorgeous. When I win the lottery, that's what my house is gonna look like. Complete with a moat and remote-controlled drawbridge.

Thanks to Helena, I (obsessively as ever) investigated more of the style of Hogwarts. As it turns out, there were four different periods of early Gothic and much of Hogwarts interior follows the third period which is most commonly referred to as "Decorated Gothic". This period was roughly 1200-1375 AD. Being yet again even more obsessive, I discovered this very telling image of Alnwick Castle where many of the early HP scenes were filmed. Alnwick was constructed beginning in 1200 AD. Get a load of those "Absolut Vodka" bottle windows and then round arches, pointed arches, Islamic style arched windows, and the more typical rectangular windows!

acl_2351.jpg

Your test for tomorrow will be the mid 11th Century and the effect of Decorated Gothic on the life and times of the people. Class is dismissed! :wave:
A test!:'( Will it at least be multiple choice?:pray:

These metaphors are driving me crazy. Bottom line, people need to be just a little more realistic.

Islands of Adventure announces they are bringing to life the World of Harry Potter which includes a recreation of the Hogwarts Castle and Hogsmeade. It is to be "One of the most widely anticipated theme park entertainment experiences ever created." After it has been created and opened up to the public, record breaking crowd capacity and plenty of money rolling in and continues to be successful and crowded. People from all over the world are dying to get into Harry Potter in which they may not even see it until 3 years from now. So what your trying to say is, Universal is just going to be greedy and stupid and expand it over to the Lost Continent? I don't think so.

Please tell me, has any other theme park that opened a franchise land expand it due to crowds and popularity JUST to make more money? Because they are a "company"? No. Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom could be filled with many many magical attractions of the world's beloved Disney movies that could draw in crowds. Look how long it's taken them to finally do it. Harry Potter has never been created before, and that is why it is so popular. People have literlly no idea about anything, they hear that it's Hogwarts and they run to Orlando. Is that a bad thing? No. But Universal is not going to expand it for the sake of getting more money. Get real.

Magic Kingdom doesn't fill to capacity because it has the most innovative attractions it fills to capacity because it is the first thing most people associate with Orlando.

That is absolutely incorrect. Obvious reasons, for anyone who has ever stepped a foot in Magic Kingdom.

Exactly Mitchiez.

Maybe even some creative changes in shows that keep things fresh or the addtions of characteristics like classes from the books and films.

In the future we will see creative additions and business moves I have no doubt. Hard Ticketed events like Night of a Thousand Wizards that was already put on as well as celebrity weekend deals and conventions as well as holiday ventures. Starting a tradition like that makes way more money than adding one smaller attraction anyway.