Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

Wowwww they really improved FJ. Way more than y’all made me think they would. New CGI in almost every scene, much better projectors, and the best part: more dementors. The first new one was so unexpected I actually got jumpscared haha. The arms...not sure how I feel about them, they look alright. The new dragon CG effects look alright until he comes close to you, it actually looks really bad I don’t know how they messed it up but it looks bad. In contrast, I’m not sure if they did but it seems like the dragon AA has had some work done on it because it looked nicer, but I could be mistaken on that. I’m not sure if there are any major changes to the queue, I did single riders (it’s always ridiculously short) so the only thing I noticed was the sorting hat now has a patch on his face, must be a new skin on the AA. Overall the changes have brought this attraction the glory it deserves, such an amazing ride.

I went on the other day, and I agree, the new projectors are crisp. I didn't notice that many new dementors, but the dementor scene is still fine otherwise. They just need to fix a few tiny issues (like the dragon CGI and the floo powder scenes) and FJ is definitely back to the top of my list again.

Hey guys, i guess someone already mentioned it on the discution but i can't find the page anymore.
Concerning the moving portraits in the queue, it's seems that the screens have oil painting textures over them, someone do know how they've achives this effect ?

Hey guys, i guess someone already mentioned it on the discution but i can't find the page anymore.
Concerning the moving portraits in the queue, it's seems that the screens have oil painting textures over them, someone do know how they've achives this effect ?

Before it opened, I had in my head the idea of how they would achieve the effect with a textured transparent overlay. When I visited, I was surprised that they didn’t do this and that the texture was applied to the video itself.

Before it opened, I had in my head the idea of how they would achieve the effect with a textured transparent overlay. When I visited, I was surprised that they didn’t do this and that the texture was applied to the video itself.
But that wouldn’t solve the fact that the TV screens that they use are super shiny glass.
In the Gringotts queue I noticed a transparent layover on the screens that had the oil painting crack effect on it. I’m assuming that takes some off the sheen of the TV screen and gives it the matte look that really sells the effect as well.
Perhaps they’re using matte screens in the queue of FJ with the oil painting crack/textures baked into the actual videos as @Teebin is suggesting.

I believe this is the patent for the technique. It’s part physical and part image manipulation. Of particular note is the mention of a filter to “to reduce light emission, add texturing, and enhance the passage of a wavelength of light.” which I assume cuts down on mostly bluish light to match the warm, dim interior lighting. The usual giveaway of a screen masquerading as a painting is that a painting reflects light rather than emits it.

US20110273485A1 - Method and device for transforming an image - Google Patents

I believe this is the patent for the technique. It’s part physical and part image manipulation. Of particular note is the mention of a filter to “to reduce light emission, add texturing, and enhance the passage of a wavelength of light.” which I assume cuts down on mostly bluish light to match the warm, dim interior lighting. The usual giveaway of a screen masquerading as a painting is that a painting reflects light rather than emits it.

US20110273485A1 - Method and device for transforming an image - Google Patents
I actually LOVE this patent. Multiple layers of glass filters are used to reduce light and glare, add paintbrush strokes and then reduce light emission some more! It's very well conceived.

US20110273485A1-20111110-D00000.png

Oh amazing, it's way more complicated than what i have thought, thank you so much to all!
This gonna help me a lot !

Following up, the outer-most screen looks like that of any non-reflective flat-screen tv as I recall. There is no texture to its surface despite the details of any added layers beneath described in the patent. For my money, I would have just gone with the most non-reflective flat screen I could have found, modifed the video in After Effects, and called it a day. Any added effect of layers isn’t that impressive on close inspection in such a dimly lit space.

Do the new screens make it less nauseating or more? I assume less?

Longtime lurker, finally registered just to reply here - I get slightly motion sick from specific rides (FJ, Simpsons, ST, etc.), and the Hollywood version was worlds better for me. I barely felt anything after getting off (Summer of 2017), while going back to Orlando that same Fall made me a bit lightheaded. I didn't change my routine or take anything, so I'm hoping it was the clear projections that did it. We'll see this October!

Longtime lurker, finally registered just to reply here - I get slightly motion sick from specific rides (FJ, Simpsons, ST, etc.), and the Hollywood version was worlds better for me. I barely felt anything after getting off (Summer of 2017), while going back to Orlando that same Fall made me a bit lightheaded. I didn't change my routine or take anything, so I'm hoping it was the clear projections that did it. We'll see this October!
I was fine on FJ for the first few years but now I have to concentrate straight ahead, if I look around then it hits me. Not bad enough to cause a protein spill but I could feel it. Now Simpsons is another story so I don't ride at all.
Welcome to IU, hope to see many posts from you.

Welcome to the Forums. :thumbsup::toast:
I was fine on FJ for the first few years but now I have to concentrate straight ahead, if I look around then it hits me. Not bad enough to cause a protein spill but I could feel it. Now Simpsons is another story so I don't ride at all.
Welcome to IU, hope to see many posts from you.
I'm the opposite. The first couple of years of FJ I got mildly nauseated after one ride and even more so if I followed that with a second ride soon after. But then, the year they tuned the movement down a bit, I rode and no motion sickness at all. And none since then. The clearer screens should be even better I think. The blurred screens have always been my only criticism of my opinion of FJ as the best theme park ride in Orlando, Disney or Universal....Simpsons also, is fine for me. The only Universal ride I got major motion sickness on was Dragon Challenge :sick:, and now that's gone. But I have not tried Storm Rider, since that type of flat ride is usually an invitation to major motion sickness.