The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 624 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So in short WWOHP is dope. Butterbeer is delicious and I didn't fit on FJ. I'm almost sad about it. Maybe I'll try again before I leave but the restraint was extremely tight on me and still didn't get the 3rd click.

I know last as of last Monday the water vortex was not operating.
It would be nice if they realigned the lasers that trace the lines of the magic portal on Poseidon's Fury.
That show is the red-headed stepchild of IOA

Sorry, what is the water vortex? Is it the fountain in front of the entry to Poseidon's Fury? We went through that entrance on our way out Sunday and that fountain was HILLARIOUS!! If it wasn't raining I would have video taped it! My 11 yr old heard the fountain and wanted a closer look. My 22 and 20 yr old also came along reluctantly but quickly changed their tune when they heard how funny the fountain was! LOVED IT!

Sorry, what is the water vortex? Is it the fountain in front of the entry to Poseidon's Fury? We went through that entrance on our way out Sunday and that fountain was HILLARIOUS!! If it wasn't raining I would have video taped it! My 11 yr old heard the fountain and wanted a closer look. My 22 and 20 yr old also came along reluctantly but quickly changed their tune when they heard how funny the fountain was! LOVED IT!

That is the Mystic Fountain. The water vortex is an effect inside PF. It's a 40 ft. cyllindrical tunnel that the tour passes through. water is shot at high speeds up and all the way around creating a tunnel of water. It was a very cool effect that I haven't gotten to experience. Now that tunnel is just filled with mist and blue lighting.

WHAT TO BUY and WHAT NOT TO BUY AT WWoHP:
I was thinking about the deals and rip-offs at the park and thought I'd make a list of the best and worst items to buy...
Good buys:
T-shirts: The park has a lot of cool and unique t-shirts to choose from, and I feel they are at a reasonable price. Considering I bought one at Hot Topic for $22, a $25-30 price tag is not bad for something that is exclusive to the WWoHP and of such good quality. I purchased the Gryffindor Quidditch Jersey-style shirt, and it feels strong and sturdy. They seem like they will last for a long time. They have shirts for the serious Potter fan, and even for the theme park fan (WWoHP logo).
Pygmy Puffs: Even though they were raised by $2, at $15, they are worth it. They are a fun and canon item that come with a little show bundled into the modest price. Other plushies in the park go for $25-30, and these are not made from lesser materials or quality. They are flying off the shelves, so if you're lucky enough to see one, snag it!
Mugs: I saw many cups and mugs at decent prices. Most mugs in theme parks range from $16-25. Two that I looked at (Have You Seen This Wizard?, Dumbledore's Army) were in the price range of $9-12 and had main characters on them. These would make a good gift, or a nice addition to any collection.
Honeydukes Candy: The candy from Honeydukes that I consider worth it is the kind that can be converted into a decoration. They have jars of candy (mostly hard candies) that have the Honeydukes logo on it, and some others (like the Pepper Imps) that just have the product's name on it. These are not only edible, but pieces very worthy of decoration or re-use. You could easily refill it with another candy and display it in your house.
Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Botts: Both of these go for $10. Their packages are very authentic. They look exactly like their counterparts from the movies. The Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans don't come with much candy, but it is an adorable decoration or collector's item for any fan. Even my brother (who has read the books and watched the movies, but is only a very casual fan) was tempted to buy them. The frogs come with a lenticular card of one of the founders, and also a very big and heavy solid chocolate-shaped frog. These are not like the cheap ones they sell when a movie comes out. These are the real deal.
Lanyards: They also sell lanyards made to look like House ties. They come in each House's colors, and have a plastic slot for an I.D. or ticket. This is ideal to keep track of your tickets throughout the day, or to carry home to use at work.

Bad Buys:
Harry Potter Movies: The movies that they sell are rediculously over-priced. I looked at one of the Sorcerer's Stone DVDs to check out the price, and saw they were charging $20 for it. You can easily find these at Sam's or Wal Mart for $7-9. Also, you could take your $20 and put it towards the Ultimate Edition of SS if you really wanted some bang for your buck.
Marauder's Map: For $70, you get one Marauder's Map set behind glass. The same map is sold from the Noble Collection online for half the price, but unframed. So it depends on if you want it framed.

A Note on Butterbeer:
Most everyone will try Butterbeer inside the WWoHP. But before buying, consider whether the stein is worth it for you. It is $9.50 to buy the stein with regular Butterbeer in it, and $10.50 for the frozen beverage. If you're a die-hard fan who is there for a short amount of time, but looking for a cool souvenir, get it. But if you're a casual fan who isn't planning on coming back soon, pass. You can easily get a smaller cup for $3. The stein is ideal for someone who is on an extended vacation and plans to visit the land often, or for someone with an annual pass who will be wanting refills.

I bought 5 jars of the Pepper Imps. The price (I think was about $4.75) was too good to pass up for gift souveniers! These were also available at Port of Entry Trading Post and one shop in Universal Studios if you don't get the chance to visit the WWOHP.

Lanyards - apparently did not come with the plastic ticket/card holder on the 17th but when I managed to get in Filtches on the 20th they did have them. I thought these were very reasonably priced at just above $7. I bought one for the woman who was house and pet sitting for us along with a couple of pins.

Pigmy Puffs - sad they are selling them on line as it is so wonderful to go through the naming experience. Maybe they can do some sort of naming process on line where you hear the name yelled out like it is in the shop.

Chocolate Frogs - the packaging and the card are fantastic! Also, they are $10 each but they are HUGE and the box even says 4 servings I believe. My chocoholic 11 yr old wanted to eat hers right away. Looked at it, then only ate one foot! Sort of like an chocolate rabit, the first day all you can eat is the ears.

Also, if you are looking for a product to share (like with the work office folks back home) the pepermint toads are nice and just above $7 for a whole box.

One item I bought without bothering about looking for the price was the "Magic Revealed 2010" pin. All I saw was it had 2010 on it and when I came home...very late tonight I noticed the price!! $18.95!! Then my son showed me that the windows in the castle light up!! Very well worth it as it has the opening and the light show it produced (two seperate light packages on back) was worth it.

Mugs - Butter Beer and Hogs Head Brew. We purchased our first drinks of Butter Beer in the mugs for each of us as we planned to use them each of the 4 days we were in the park. They do make nice souveniers as so far we can only get them in the WWOHP. I tired the Hogs Head Brew late in the day as I knew the heat in FL was more than I am use to and I wouldn't tempt that again on the other days we were in the WWOHP. Still, I purchased the mug to remember I did try it. After our first day in the park we already had our mugs so I opted to pack mine instead of hearing it clank on my bag attached via a C clip. My children kept theirs attached to their back packs as sort of a "Yes, I have been to the WWOHP. Ask me how wonderful Butter Beer tastes."

--- Update ---

Thanks! However, the Marauder's Map on the Noble collection is only $35 for the non-framed version. The framed version is $65+ $10 shipping= $75. So if you want the Marauder's Map unframed, buy it from the Noble Collection, but if you want it framed, buy it from the WWoHP (you might even get it cheaper than $70 with the AAA discount, do they take AAA at Filch's?).

Yes, they take AAA at Filch's and every where in the WWOHP. Even for stamps and post cards. Wait, there is one part of the park that does not do the AAA discount. The mobile maids with drink trays and the stand between the JP entrance and the snowman. They don't have a computer/register to enter the AAA code.

--- Update ---

I agree, the worse part of this story is they are AP holders. If you are an AP holder you KNOW better because you either live here or visit often. I never go to the parks without a bottle of water in my hand. If I have guests I give them bottles of water before leaving the house and if they plan to bring back packs I normally stick extra in there. So this is not Uni's fault, that person was stupid to go to the parks with no water, then they see the line and don't go and buy or get free water from any of the stands all over the park and in CityWalk. Uni can't prevent stupid people from being stupid.

My brother-in-law get the top of his head burnt because he refused to put suntan lotion on (stuborn man) while we were at SeaWorld, should he go and complain the the people at Sea World for this?

This was our first trip to UO and I purchased a sort of mesh water bottle holder with a small C-clip for each of my children and myself which had a water bottle in each one before we went. The water bottle holder was only $1.88 each at Walmart in the camping section.

I bought 5 jars of the Pepper Imps. The price (I think was about $4.75) was too good to pass up for gift souveniers! These were also available at Port of Entry Trading Post and one shop in Universal Studios if you don't get the chance to visit the WWOHP.

Lanyards - apparently did not come with the plastic ticket/card holder on the 17th but when I managed to get in Filtches on the 20th they did have them. I thought these were very reasonably priced at just above $7. I bought one for the woman who was house and pet sitting for us along with a couple of pins.

Pigmy Puffs - sad they are selling them on line as it is so wonderful to go through the naming experience. Maybe they can do some sort of naming process on line where you hear the name yelled out like it is in the shop.

Chocolate Frogs - the packaging and the card are fantastic! Also, they are $10 each but they are HUGE and the box even says 4 servings I believe. My chocoholic 11 yr old wanted to eat hers right away. Looked at it, then only ate one foot! Sort of like an chocolate rabit, the first day all you can eat is the ears.

Also, if you are looking for a product to share (like with the work office folks back home) the pepermint toads are nice and just above $7 for a whole box.

One item I bought without bothering about looking for the price was the "Magic Revealed 2010" pin. All I saw was it had 2010 on it and when I came home...very late tonight I noticed the price!! $18.95!! Then my son showed me that the windows in the castle light up!! Very well worth it as it has the opening and the light show it produced (two seperate light packages on back) was worth it.

Mugs - Butter Beer and Hogs Head Brew. We purchased our first drinks of Butter Beer in the mugs for each of us as we planned to use them each of the 4 days we were in the park. They do make nice souveniers as so far we can only get them in the WWOHP. I tired the Hogs Head Brew late in the day as I knew the heat in FL was more than I am use to and I wouldn't tempt that again on the other days we were in the WWOHP. Still, I purchased the mug to remember I did try it. After our first day in the park we already had our mugs so I opted to pack mine instead of hearing it clank on my bag attached via a C clip. My children kept theirs attached to their back packs as sort of a "Yes, I have been to the WWOHP. Ask me how wonderful Butter Beer tastes."

--- Update ---

Yes, they take AAA at Filch's and every where in the WWOHP. Even for stamps and post cards. Wait, there is one part of the park that does not do the AAA discount. The mobile maids with drink trays and the stand between the JP entrance and the snowman. They don't have a computer/register to enter the AAA code.

--- Update ---

This was our first trip to UO and I purchased a sort of mesh water bottle holder with a small C-clip for each of my children and myself which had a water bottle in each one before we went. The water bottle holder was only $1.88 each at Walmart in the camping section.

Thanks for all the merch info....really hope they have the Pygmy Puffs restocked when we go the first week of August...there have been many conversations in my house about what we want to name them (Neville Fuzz-Bottom is my personal fave :lol:)
Also thank for the info about the water bottle holder - never thought of that...we have little personal fans we keep running that helps make the heat bearable - they cost about $1 from Walmart as well. And I will definitely be putting our AAA card into use.

HAHAHA wow....and who had the theory that it won't be THAT packed?

Wow. Even though it makes it difficult to go in the near future, this really is great news. I am really hoping for a couple of afternoon showers on Thursday so I can go at night after work. It will be my first trip into the WW, and to see it at night with manageable lines would be a dream come true.

Yikes. That's a long wait for a Tuesday.
And Colleendoll--the Pepper Imps were only $5!? I should've bought them! But I was in a rediculous line to buy my stuff from Honeydukes and could barely get to them...next time! And to put it in perspective--I JUST finished my frog last night...I've slowly been chipping away at it since Friday night. So four days!

HAHAHA wow....and who had the theory that it won't be THAT packed?

well, as a general rule, M,T, W are slow days and I said this yesterday. But the WWofHP is not playing by the "general rule" evidently. This is goofy.

Thank goodness I am neither here nor there about ever seeing it. I would never wait to enter a theme park area.

Last edited:
Wow. Even though it makes it difficult to go in the near future, this really is great news. I am really hoping for a couple of afternoon showers on Thursday so I can go at night after work. It will be my first trip into the WW, and to see it at night with manageable lines would be a dream come true.
I was really hoping for rain on Friday when I was there...I was like 'Yeah, come on! Thunder!' I really wanted a great, ominous shot of Hogwarts.
Rain is usually a staple for a summer day at any of Orlando's theme parks, but I hope when I'm there next time it drives some people away (though I doubt it).

Also, a bit off topic, I'm still so disappointed that Green Eggs and Ham is not open. If Uni isn't going to open it during what is arguably their biggest season since 1999 then why have it?
That big green ham just standing there mocking me. I'm gonna bring my own parsley puree next time.

This I DEFINATELY agree with! I was VERY excited back around this past Feb/Mar (Mardi Gras time) when for a couple of weeks they actually had it open (guess it was a test opening) from about 10-3pm each day - fortunately with an AP I got quite a fill of the sandwiches over that period. Even bought a couple of extras to munch on later in the day when we got over to USF knowing I might not get any more if they closed down again. And, sure enough....

There was never a long line for it, but the park was also dead at that time too - and they were still doing business.

Seems strange that they opened it briefly for the first time in YEARS then just to keep it closed now. But then again, OT, Captain Americas was also closed for a REALLY long time too...

But yes, I just dont understand UO's thought process on this when they are this busy. (Of course I never understood their thought process on having it closed during Grinchmas either, when Seuss Landing is mobbed).

When they were serving over those couple of weeks, they had all the supplies still (including the boxes for the GE&H meal, etc - picked up a couple of extras as souveneirs just in case and now Im glad I did - lol) so its not a problem of testing the waters to decide if they need to re-order product, the whole thing just seems strange. It only takes 3 people minimum to man the booth, so I cant believe its a huge cost factor to keep it up and running either.

Just doesnt make operational sense not to have it open. I could somewhat see it when attendance was down, but now? Especially after running a test opening after having it closed for so long, and still having patrons during the slowest time of the year?