The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood | Page 188 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You know.. if you don't look up you won't have the visual intrusions that seems to bother so many of you. I mean really. They can only do so much. And also, they need to have emergency vehicle access backstage, so I hate to break it to you all complaining about seeing things like the HR/wardrobe building. You'll have to live with it.

And being able to see Simpsons is going to happen. Sure once the greenery grows it will help lessen the view a bit.

The complaining about seeing other buildings or attractions is just silly. When I pointed out the visibility of FJ's show building months ago many of you jumped on me about it not being a big deal because its Hollywood so its considered "behind the scenes" as far as views go. But as far as blocking out the backstage area from view... sure, they could put up a sound barrier painted wall like Dragons Challenge has in Orlando, but a lot of you would b*tch & complain if it wasn't some wonderfully over-the-top painted backdrop. Of course, while it may block the view of the HR/wardrobe building, it might not look that great due to being flat. Again, I must point out that there needs to be access for emergency vehicles & what not, so what they can do is very limited.

​Also.. keep in mind that Potter butts up to Waterworld which has pyro, so... yea.. limited..

It did occur to me, you definitely can't see the Studio Tour loading area from Potter which is great.  But if there were no trees or greenery in the land in Hollywood at all, that would be worse.

I woke up today genuinely convinced that my trip to Hogsmeade yesterday was all a dream. That's just how good it was.

I know this post is a bit late by now, but after an hour of waiting to get in the land since park opening, five rides on Forbidden Journey, three rides on Flight of the Hippogriff, three Butterbeers, two meals at The Three Broomsticks, one wand choosing me in Ollivanders, and over nine hours in total spent in the land itself, I needed a good rest. Brace yourself for a lengthy review.

Upon entering the land, I was so excited and overwhelmed that the first thing I did was ran to use the bathroom. I was shaking upon entering the queue for FJ. This is coming from someone who's already been to Hogsmeade in Florida three times so far. Can you imagine LA locals when they walk through that arch for the very first time?

This goes without saying, but the land is downright gorgeous. None of the cottages in Hogsmeade are perfectly straight and upright, and that just makes them all the more whimsical. Hogwarts Castle is a beauty like no other. I'd argue that the castle looks better at night than it does during the day, in fact. I'll try to keep most of my gripes with the visual intrusions to myself since everyone has mostly voiced their opinions, though I will note that throwing in some more foliage could do wonders. I'm not sure how restricted they are in that matter, but I really think the land could be just that much more immersive if they planted more trees to hide the outside world. Honestly, the fact that I could see some other park attractions and show buildings from within the land didn't bother me, but it was when I was in the queue for Ollivanders when it really struck me. I could see The Simpsons Ride, the Studio Tour bridge/escalators, the Hilton, the offices in CityWalk, WaterWorld, and Shrek all from where I was standing. I rest my case.

Something I'd really like to touch on is the customer service that I experienced during soft openings. There was not a single team member I was displeased with while in Hogsmeade. Every time I entered a shop, at least one or two team members would greet me. Every time I left a shop, another two would thank me for visiting. During each meal at The Three Broomsticks, team members came up to my group at least once to ask how our food was, and back a second or third time to ask if they could take any of our plates for us. While trying to use my interactive wand from Florida at one of the windows by the Owlery, I went through many failed attempts at trying to make the spell work. A very patient team member spent at least 5 full minutes with me trying to get it to work, until referring me to Ollivanders to get my wand repaired for free once we realized there was no use in trying to use the same one anymore.

I was also in a full Hogwarts uniform all day yesterday, and every team member in the land that saw me made sure to point it out and make conversation with me. A few asked me which year I was in at Hogwarts, while a couple of others asked why I was skipping class to tour the village. It's those little things that can make a person's entire visit to the park, and they certainly made it for me. 

As for FJ, I have to say I'm impressed. This ride is a beast unlike any other USH has ever seen, so I was a little worried about how it would hold up during technical rehearsals. For the most part, I'd say they've got it under control. Out of my five rides on FJ, I got stuck on it twice: once while in the Chamber of Secrets scene, and once while my bench was mid-landing at the unloading area of the ride. Both times we were only stuck for a minute or two, and things went smoothly from then on.

Something I hope to see them improve upon for this ride is the 3D. There's one scene where, during all of my 5 rides, my glasses would almost fall off of my face due to the intense jolt movement made by the KUKA arm. Also, besides the Floo Network transitions at the beginning and end, I didn't feel like the 3D really worked. It sounds like we'll be getting official Quidditch Goggles, so maybe that'll improve some of the gripes people have with this new ride element. Aside from that, I loved it. I think the improved Dementor scene in our version is brilliant, and the transitions from the sets to the projection domes were more seamless than its sister park. This is definitely going to be one of the best rides in the park's lineup.

Needless to say, USH has a winner on their hands. This is, without a doubt, the most successful soft opening I've ever experienced in a theme park. I've never seen the park's team members so eager to help guests and make fun conversation. I know they've still got a little under two months to go to make tweaks and improvements, but I was blown away yesterday. We really have reached a new era in USH history.

My biggest gripe with the whole land is the visual intrusions with the castle.  There is no excuse as that entire structure was build from the ground up.  I can understand and give Universal a pass with Citywalk, Hilton, Simpsons, ect. Hell Carsland suffers from visual intrusions from pre existing rides and buildings and you NEVER hear people give Disney crap over it.

Universal could have easily done something  to make the exposed parts of the castle blend in... but then I have to remember,  this is Universal, "Its just not good! Its good enough!"

Please excuse my Photoshop skills

Something like this could have EASILY been done!  But Universal has a habit of being cheap around the edges with their projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Imdbman and Ryan
The one coming toward the castle on the right where it's showbuilding in plain view even as guests were intended on seeing it is the one that bothers me the most. (the one you first photoshopped, for reference) That's really sloppy and I hope Universal corrects it in the future.

You know.. if you don't look up you won't have the visual intrusions that seems to bother so many of you. I mean really. They can only do so much. And also, they need to have emergency vehicle access backstage, so I hate to break it to you all complaining about seeing things like the HR/wardrobe building. You'll have to live with it.

And being able to see Simpsons is going to happen. Sure once the greenery grows it will help lessen the view a bit.

The complaining about seeing other buildings or attractions is just silly. When I pointed out the visibility of FJ's show building months ago many of you jumped on me about it not being a big deal because its Hollywood so its considered "behind the scenes" as far as views go. But as far as blocking out the backstage area from view... sure, they could put up a sound barrier painted wall like Dragons Challenge has in Orlando, but a lot of you would b*tch & complain if it wasn't some wonderfully over-the-top painted backdrop. Of course, while it may block the view of the HR/wardrobe building, it might not look that great due to being flat. Again, I must point out that there needs to be access for emergency vehicles & what not, so what they can do is very limited.

​Also.. keep in mind that Potter butts up to Waterworld which has pyro, so... yea.. limited..
I know it's great! When the finale goes off at WW, just think of it as a fire breathing dragon on the other side of HP. It look amazing against the castle!

UPDATE: HP is open all day now. No early timed passes needed. Today (President's Day) is very low attendance.

No, they actually placed walls in front of the land:
CbRfvLWUkAAB9pE.jpg

Sorry :( (From InsideUniversal on Twitter)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's closed today. They were placing barriers in front of the arch. If you're curious on Soft Openings I suggest following Inside Universal on Twitter for daily coverage.

Reactions: William and DonRaf
Hedge walls are quick to remove and easier to settle people down. Softs will be a day-by-day thing. Don't expect it and also don't not expect it.

Like others said, keep your eyes on Twitter. When Potter is going to open that day (or at least the park aims to), it'll be more obvious.

I'm used to going straight into the lockers--unless the standby wait is around 75 minutes (or longer, I don't exactly remember), then they need to control a queue outside the lockers. Here at USH, although I was using the single rider line, I was surprised that I needed to wait outside for 20 minutes (yesterday) and 15 minutes (today) before getting to the lockers and then going into the single rider line. Again, it's a minor point and maybe they'll refine the process over the course of the soft opens and previews.
Ya, I went for single rider & had no bags as well, but had to wait in the outside portion of the line (about 15 mins). There was no one else in line for single rider either by the time I got to the ride! Just a quibble like you said, but felt like it was unnecessary.

Same thing happened to me but I told the person at the entrance gate that I didn't have any bags and they let me through no problem.