Theme Park Careers | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Park Careers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree with points from both sides of the discussion. If you are set up in NYC and have a steady living arrangement and job I would say finish your degree in New York (especially if you are still able to live at home with your parents, its fun to be on your own, but paying bills and rent stinks!). Networking is a big part of this industry (who you know will help get you in the door, skill will keep you there). Orlando is a great place to network and talk to professionals frequently, joining organizations like the Themed Entertainment Association as a student is very beneficial. However the people don't exist in a vacuum, during my time at UCF I took full advantage of the networking opportunities in my program. Thats how I initially met some of the professionals from the major theme parks, I kept networking and joined a couple of different groups before TEA. I would attend networking events and mixers and just meet people until I became friendly with them. I moved to Las Vegas for three months last summer during my internship with Cirque du Soleil. While there I attended some of the events TEA had in San Diego and Burbank. I met some new people but also ran into many familiar faces. I was recently in Pittsburgh for a 3 day TEA event, and again, met new people but saw many of the regulars (and I am not talking about other students like I was, but people who can actually hire you). I guess the point is that this is a small industry and everyone knows everyone. They travel a lot for conventions, events, and meetings so you can easily network from there if you are proactive and know where to look. I know TEA does events in New York on occasion (they jump around all the time and happen frequently).

But if you're dead set on UCF thats okay too. I don't exactly know how our Architecture program is, so I can't say much on that. But it is a good place to become active in networking and a good place to get your name and face out there.

Also, talking to professional designers and theme park professionals, having ops experience is a plus. It is good to have intimate knowledge of how the theme parks work and flow from an ops stand point. But I would not expect to move from loading rides to creative with out the skill, professional experience, and networking that comes before it.

But the the biggest piece of advice I can definitively give is to take advantage of being a student. The words, "Hello, I am a student at ABC studying DEF and was interested in learning about XYZ" can open all sorts of doors. Being a student is an incredible tool to opening conversations, setting up shadowing opportunities, or just networking in general, be it through email or in person. Take advantage of that while you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRoamer and Jon84
I want to thank everyone for their responses. Some of you have been extremely helpful and I believe you know who your are. I wasn't afraid to admit my dreams to you guys because I know we are all here for the same reason. I can only hope that those who believe I am making the wrong descision will be able to see where my choices are coming from and that I take all of your comments into high consderation. My reason for moving down to Florida is not based around the idea that if I start working for a theme park ASAP I can build connections and then I have an advantage. No, I want to work as a scare-actor or ride operator when I move because for me it is my first VERY small step toward my dreams and I honestly don't know as I grow older if I will ever be given a chance again. Planing to move down to Florida is because that's where I know I will be happy. I want to gain as much experience as I can through internships with multiple theme parks, including the Disney college program. I do not plan on putting my studies on halt; a degree in architecture and the arts is my priority.

Saying to me that I'm not serious about being in creative (or anywhere in this industry) really hurts. I made this thread because I know that the advice of people on here is honest, straight-forward, and worth its weight in gold, so please understand that everything that is said I take extremely seriously. Most of you are people with great experience and I am so fortunate enough to be able to ask you guys questions and recieve your opinions.

Once again thank you for all your replies

I want to thank everyone for their responses. Some of you have been extremely helpful and I believe you know who your are. I wasn't afraid to admit my dreams to you guys because I know we are all here for the same reason. I can only hope that those who believe I am making the wrong descision will be able to see where my choices are coming from and that I take all of your comments into high consderation. My reason for moving down to Florida is not based around the idea that if I start working for a theme park ASAP I can build connections and then I have an advantage. No, I want to work as a scare-actor or ride operator when I move because for me it is my first VERY small step toward my dreams and I honestly don't know as I grow older if I will ever be given a chance again. Planing to move down to Florida is because that's where I know I will be happy. I want to gain as much experience as I can through internships with multiple theme parks, including the Disney college program. I do not plan on putting my studies on halt; a degree in architecture and the arts is my priority.

Saying to me that I'm not serious about being in creative (or anywhere in this industry) really hurts. I made this thread because I know that the advice of people on here is honest, straight-forward, and worth its weight in gold, so please understand that everything that is said I take extremely seriously. Most of you are people with great experience and I am so fortunate enough to be able to ask you guys questions and recieve your opinions.

You're welcome and thanks for taking it al in. It hurts, I know, but I would have loved for someone to set me aside and gave me this talk when I was in high school. I truely believe that spending time in professional organizations and networking is more important than working front of the line in a theme park. Seriously, pound for pound it's not even close.

Best bet is to transfer to UCF and work part time (as time allows) in ops. Network in IAAPA and TEA and then look into grad programs like SCAD's themed entertainment program. That's how you get a job in the industry. Trust me I know a friend doing this right now.

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
I actually had the great, immense joy in accomplishing one of my childhood goals: I got to work at Magic Kingdom in Tomorowland as a Cast Member for three months. I got to operate Stitch, TTA/Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter, and FastPass. It was the rare job where I was looking forward to working every day. Getting to basically live in the Utilidors and Tomorrowland was a dream come true (The Utilidors is easily the most magical place at WDW, imo). Words cannot describe how it felt to visit the parks in my off days, and just observe the CMs at work and the guests enjoying the park, it honestly felt like I was an undercover tourist. I definitely plan on working for them again sometime in the next few years. Definitely an experience I wouldn't trade for the world. If you guys have any questions about my time there, feel free to PM me or just ask in this thread, but be aware there are (naturally) some secrets I just can't reveal.....can't ruin the magic for y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkscope Joe

I have to disagree with the people telling you to stay in NY. Follow your passion. Get down here, have fun in front line positions like you want to and start networking. I know a lot of people who have made it into creative or imagineering. Good luck!

I'm a mechanical engineer, and recently browsed some of the job descriptions at Universal Creative. They aren't entry-level jobs. Nearly all of them were for experienced senior engineers with quite a few industry certifications. Creativity aside, people's lives are at stake on these rides, and they need engineers who can take that responsibility (usually 10+ years of industry experience, knowledge of local building/safety codes, peer certifications from industry associations, etc). Do you have a specific position in mind that you're working toward? If not, you should.

Then look objectively at that position and see what it takes to get there. For example, the job I was looking at wouldn't require me to move from where I am now in the hopes of landing the job. I'd have to get a couple of certifications and such, but all of that could be done where I am now.

Your case might be different, but rather than just move to Florida under the assumption that proximity helps your odds of getting hired, make a list of the qualification required, then do you best to objectively meet those qualifications. Have a friend objectively review your list to balance out your own biases. If after careful reviewing, moving to Florida helps further your goals, great! Rest easy in the fact that you've done your homework and are on the path toward your dreams. If not (and my gut instinct is this would be the case), then use the stability of your current living situation and work toward your goals with resources from your home location.

TL;DL version: Moving might not be a bad idea, but step back and make that decision objectively based on facts, and don't just "follow your heart".

^ Also note too, that Universal is really trying to build up their forces in China for the new park. Orlando is quite well staffed these days after that big UC push and website months back. So, if you are fine with China, go for it, otherwise, knowing what I know, you would be better off starting with one of their largest vendors and then weasel your way into UC if you desire.