Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 125 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forum members on Theme Park Insider were discussing the 'rumored' terms of the reopening guidelines. If true, I could see why Iger resigned. The reopening rumored requirements were very draconian,
and far more restrictive than any other amusement/theme parks, in other states, were subjected to. Basically, it made it nearly impossible to reopen at this point in time.

Forum members on Theme Park Insider were discussing the 'rumored' terms of the reopening guidelines. If true, I could see why Iger resigned. The reopening rumored requirements were very draconian,
and far more restrictive than any other amusement/theme parks, in other states, were subjected to. Basically, it made it nearly impossible to reopen at this point in time.

Cynicism time: At this point with the malls/movie theaters having as much leeway as they do, I'm sort of wondering if these measures are less designed for safety and more to weaken Disney et al's bargaining position for tax incentives and political power in the state and to force them to the bargaining table?

Reactions: Clive and Mad Dog
Cynicism time: At this point with the malls/movie theaters having as much leeway as they do, I'm sort of wondering if these measures are less designed for safety and more to weaken Disney et al's bargaining position for tax incentives and political power in the state and to force them to the bargaining table?
Interesting take. I haven't read anything on that, but everything is possibly on the table in these very political times.

Don’t know if it’s been said, but SeaWorld is going back to five day a week operation in November.

This is really disappointing if true. While we all know that the surge in FL cases in June and July was more a function of correlation to and probably not causation by theme parks reopening, those without that same understanding can point to that massive spike and say, see? :(

We have to be vigilant and careful, but there’s no reason why outdoor theme parks can’t be operating at limited capacity at this point.

Don’t know if it’s been said, but SeaWorld is going back to five day a week operation in November.

This is really disappointing if true. While we all know that the surge in FL cases in June and July was more a function of correlation to and probably not causation by theme parks reopening, those without that same understanding can point to that massive spike and say, see? :(

We have to be vigilant and careful, but there’s no reason why outdoor theme parks can’t be operating at limited capacity at this point.
Yes. Plus the surge in Florida was, and the numbers show, that it was mostly bars/nightclubs/huge private parties frequented by the 17-30 age crowd that fueled it....and much more so in the Miami/South Florida area than Orange County.
California almost looks like there's a not so hidden agenda piloting the situation.

It’s just a different mindset out here.

The state of California downgraded my county from Purple to Red two weeks ago, and the county was immediately saying, “we’re not lifting restrictions yet.” They just approved elementary schools (and ONLY elementary schools) to reopen. The lifting of restrictions moving us into Red is going to be slowly rolled out.

Reactions: Clive and RevFreako
California has now postponed their issuance of theme park reopening rules......Sounds like they are re evaluating the standards.

Last edited:
Have been reading about furloughs all morning on Twitter, but I guess it's now official:

Kind of expected though....especially with the downturn in hotel occupancy and the cooler weather season. Heck, Disney never even opened their water parks.

Last edited:
Universal Orlando Resort has announced that they will be closing Universal’s Volcano Bay water park on November 2, 2020 and will look to reopen the park on or around March 1st, 2021. @UniversalORL

• Sad
Reactions: Tbad556
Universal Orlando Resort has announced that they will be closing Universal’s Volcano Bay water park on November 2, 2020 and will look to reopen the park on or around March 1st, 2021. @UniversalORL

Is the 2 month extension of AP's automatic or do you need to call guest services?
Edit: Never-mind, site seems to imply automatic, go to guest services to downgrade for a refund.

What are the rumoured terms?

What are the rumoured terms?
Involved limiting visitors from outside the near vicinity (communities close to) of the parks, to open would have to meet county infection threshold numbers that are nearly impossible to meet and that only one state (little Vermont) in the nation has achieved, indoor dining either eliminated or at very low numbers, 25% occupancy, and a few others that escape me right now....plus the distancing, mask, etc. policies similar to Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott W.
Last edited:
Scott Maxwell has a staggering piece on the totality of these layoffs.

So far, more people than the population of Winter Park have lost their jobs.

This article really can't be shared enough - seriously, nobody should scroll past and not click that link. But I do want to highlight this part:

We keep acting like fools. While other communities focus on diversifying their economies by recruiting and growing medical, technology or manufacturing jobs, Central Florida remains pathologically obsessed with expanding tourism — dumping billions of tax dollars into tourism marketing and constantly expanding a convention center that’s already 7 million square feet.

We must stop feeding this low-wage beast. We don’t need to undermine the tourism industry that put this community on the map. Just stop subsidizing it.

At one point, the Orlando Sentinel tallied up all the money Orange County leaders spent subsidizing tourism vs. what they invested in higher-wage jobs in other sectors — a mind-blowing $46 on tourism for every $1 invested in all other industries combined.

The handouts given to these corporations that were already making money hand over fist have only left the city in a position of peril. There are very few "good jobs" outside of the ones in tourism here because for some reason Orlando never bothered to try to attract a diversified set of corporations. I mean, what major company wouldn't at least consider moving its headquarters to Orlando and its warm weather and no state income tax?

What color was it though? If we're talking colors I need to know this vital information.
What ever colors were on Innoventions before they knocked it down

I said on DisTwitter that they should consider the white Tomorrowland look and someone went off

And then I said something regarding the Fountain of Nations needing to be filled with DisTwitter tears and I got blocked

It was the worst political debate I've ever had

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.