Tilikum has Died | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Tilikum has Died

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was curious about that myself earlier and googled it, and the most official thing I could find that wouldn't likely be propaganda for one side or the other was this NOAA site that says they can live to be 50-80:
National Marine Mammal Laboratory
I also seem to recall reading in the past that no one really knows how long they can live because no one has really done heavy research on them except, you know... SeaWorld.

Interesting. Center of Whale Research says average is 29, but yes can live "up to" older.

Center for Whale Research

I was curious about that myself earlier and googled it, and the most official thing I could find that wouldn't likely be propaganda for one side or the other was this NOAA site that says they can live to be 50-80:
National Marine Mammal Laboratory
I also seem to recall reading in the past that no one really knows how long they can live because no one has really done heavy research on them except, you know... SeaWorld.

Recently, a female orca died that was thought to be at least 90 years old and maybe as old as 105 (she was sighted as early as the 1930's). While it is true that killer whales live longer in the wild, Sea World was definitely doing everything that they could to keep their captive whales as happy as possible. The capturing of killer whales in the wild seems fairly wrong but breeding captive whales seemed okay.

I am sad that Sea World is discontinuing the whale shows as that was the only way that most people could ever see one that close. I just really disliked the fact that legislation went into place as a kneejerk reaction to a fluff piece of "journalism".

Per Indian legends, killer whales are the spirits of marine hunters. When the whale was killed or died, it was reborn as a human. Somewhere out there, a kid is being born that will have a mohawk that leans to one side.

Recently, a female orca died that was thought to be at least 90 years old and maybe as old as 105 (she was sighted as early as the 1930's). While it is true that killer whales live longer in the wild, Sea World was definitely doing everything that they could to keep their captive whales as happy as possible. The capturing of killer whales in the wild seems fairly wrong but breeding captive whales seemed okay.

I am sad that Sea World is discontinuing the whale shows as that was the only way that most people could ever see one that close. I just really disliked the fact that legislation went into place as a kneejerk reaction to a fluff piece of "journalism".

Per Indian legends, killer whales are the spirits of marine hunters. When the whale was killed or died, it was reborn as a human. Somewhere out there, a kid is being born that will have a mohawk that leans to one side.
Mixed feelings on them ending the whale shows (mainly agreed with them ending the shows), however i don't see it necessary to end the entire whale breeding program. Should we stop breeding goldfishes, dogs, cats, and other beloved pets as well?

Mixed feelings on them ending the whale shows (mainly agreed with them ending the shows), however i don't see it necessary to end the entire whale breeding program. Should we stop breeding goldfishes, dogs, cats, and other beloved pets as well?
I think the people who are really pushing for the breeding to end are the same ones that would want all those breeding programs to end as well.

Reactions: SkiBum
I wonder if Sea World has a long term plan of changing their whale imagery from every single aspect of the company. I don't want them to, but with the way its going they will have to if they don't want to fall under.

I wonder if Sea World has a long term plan of changing their whale imagery from every single aspect of the company. I don't want them to, but with the way its going they will have to if they don't want to fall under.
I think it'll happen eventually. Some items may never change simply because of how iconic they are and how easily they can't represent something else. Like the park logo kinda looks like an Orca fin, but it can really represent any animal with a fin.

They've begun doing this already. All new signage is going away from the old black and white scheme and towards the colorful scheme introduced during the 50th celebration. An example of this is the new and old parking lot signs that are up. You can see the transition.

I guess the difference breeding the other animals you mention is that it's much easier to avoid interbreeding than it is with a small group of Orcas. If would get to the point where they are all related unless they could bring in new DNA from around the world.

I guess the difference breeding the other animals you mention is that it's much easier to avoid interbreeding than it is with a small group of Orcas. If would get to the point where they are all related unless they could bring in new DNA from around the world.

I've read that they were getting close to that point and that was the real reason they stopped the breeding program. I think the only way they could continue is to get new DNA from the whales that they are capturing in China and Russia.

I've read that they were getting close to that point and that was the real reason they stopped the breeding program. I think the only way they could continue is to get new DNA from the whales that they are capturing in China and Russia.
There's a couple of parks in Europe too, but it's a little messy dealing outside of the Seaworld parks I guess

Considering what Tili went through pre-Sea World, I am surprised he lasted as long as he did..

Well, the Orca program is "over", as are the shows eventually...in 30 years, provided something dosen't change, the Orcas will be gone...I think Sea World has to make the decision of do we let an animal market the park or a concept/ride..There are plenty of cute animals in the ocean to put as your mascot..I just don't see that happening..

I think Orcas should always be represented by SeaWorld, but not necessarily by having them in the park. So use your imagination... water screens, mist, lasers... They can have "Orcas" all over the park if they wanted.

I think Orcas should always be represented by SeaWorld, but not necessarily by having them in the park. So use your imagination... water screens, mist, lasers... They can have "Orcas" all over the park if they wanted.
I don't know. I think they should distance themselves from it. Keep current imagery like the logo, but have a more general Ocean theme. If they were really smart, then they would sponsor or buy the rights to a big budget animated movie with some aquatic animals. There's a lot of kid shows with them, but those are pretty ugly and low-budget.

Wow, i didnt know that. (Im not really a big fan of seaworld, however i support their work.) I just assumed it was from all the bad press they recieved a few years ago from black fish. Do you know if it could have been practical in breeding the whales with other captive ones not owned by seaworld?

Wow, i didnt know that. (Im not really a big fan of seaworld, however i support their work.) I just assumed it was from all the bad press they recieved a few years ago from black fish. Do you know if it could have been practical in breeding the whales with other captive ones not owned by seaworld?
I think working with non Seaworld parks would be difficult as the other parks might have not wanted to exchange DNA. Just payment for their whales DNA

I think working with non Seaworld parks would be difficult as the other parks might have not wanted to exchange DNA. Just payment for their whales DNA
SeaWorld had already worked with a park in France and they were able to have a calf sired by Ulises at their park in San Diego. They were also supposed to be working with a park in Japan to help them have calves since they had no other males to have a calf with. 6 out of 7 of those whales in Japan were born in captivity and the other was one of the last orcas to be captured in Iceland in the 1980s. They had also started working with a park in Argentina and had two calves born at their parks from this. One in San Diego and one in San Antonio. They finally started looking to increase genetic diversity over the last few years. but then the breeding ban happened. They likely had at least a decade before they really felt the pressure of genetics. Possibly another decade or more if the next 10 years had gone well. All I can say is, no VR or screens will replace them. When the whales are gone, I'm gone. Tilly will be deeply missed. RIP.

Reactions: Jon84
Truly sad that this is happening, if anti-caps keep attacking research facilities like seaworld we will never truly get to learn how these animals work.

Reactions: Journey_On

I don't know. I'm not sure how accurate Wikipedia is but according to them there are less then 50 orcas in captivity around the world. I don't know big of a breeding pool they can get from that. That is why I said they would have to work with Russia and China because I heard they are still building SeaWorld like parks and are still capturing orcas from the wild.