Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Touring Plans: WDW "Observed" Increased Stand By Times

Part of the justification for Magic bands was that Disney would have detailed traffic information to adjust staffing. Whether or not they use the data and how they use the data is another matter, but they have the data.

True. But it was always the assumption that that meant they would use the data to increase staffing to meet demand. Not decrease staffing and make it appear there is more demand.

I wonder if they ever quote queue wait times in shareholder meetings. Kind of a "the parks are doing great. We are seeing longer lines then ever year round." It would be a way to make numbers seem better than they are.

True. But it was always the assumption that that meant they would use the data to increase staffing to meet demand. Not decrease staffing and make it appear there is more demand.

This is key. In its early days, I think MyMagic+ was sold (partially) as a tool that would be able to help Disney optimize a guest's day at the park, but I think more evidence points to it being a tool to help Disney optimize its bottom line. Instead of using the data to figure out how much staffing might be needed, I think they use it more to figure out how little staffing they can get away with.

That may sound like just a semantic difference, but in reality it has gigantic ramifications. This is just one of several reasons that I believe MyMagic+ is one of the biggest miscalculations in the company's history with theme parks... though the silver lining is that somebody in the company appears to possibly agree, since basically all the major players involved with spearheading the project have been shoved out the door.

Disney needs to work on their queue experiences...It's so much easier to wait in line at Universal

If FoP is any indication of how future lines will be, then count me out

This is key. In its early days, I think MyMagic+ was sold (partially) as a tool that would be able to help Disney optimize a guest's day at the park, but I think more evidence points to it being a tool to help Disney optimize its bottom line. Instead of using the data to figure out how much staffing might be needed, I think they use it more to figure out how little staffing they can get away with.

That may sound like just a semantic difference, but in reality it has gigantic ramifications. This is just one of several reasons that I believe MyMagic+ is one of the biggest miscalculations in the company's history with theme parks... though the silver lining is that somebody in the company appears to possibly agree, since basically all the major players involved with spearheading the project have been shoved out the door.
I remember well the quote of Disney's CFO when they were selling this to the Board, something like "We will be able to get more money out of our customer's wallets". I think that's always been the main goal.

Disney has the data. They know.

Disney has the data but from what I hear they don't have the man power or even care to use it.

Part of MM+ sales pitch was adjusting staffing, so it's always been an aspect. Also MM+ doesn't really make VISITING guests lives easier, I see it way more used day of by locals to snag a FP for a ride then show up.